Print Thread
Article why can't we all just get along #12396255 08/22/17 04:24 PM
F
formula462 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F

Re: Article why can't we all just get along [Re: formula462] #12396534 08/22/17 07:38 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
It is just such a minor issue; and, the sport continues to grow exponentially. No one appears to be too offended.

I do see it, just at manageable levels, human nature at work. The one that comes to mind most to me has been the Hobie versus Native pedal styles. The corporate side is obvious, that each company will promote what it thinks is its market advantage. On the user side, Hobie buyers don't buy Hobies because they like Natives better, or vice versa; so, here it is just guys rationalizing what they bought and why.

I don't see it at even close to toxic levels regarding pedal versus paddle, salt versus freshwater, and most of the other issues in the article. Those seem almost anecdotal to me.

Ford versus Chevy, blonds versus brunettes, toilet paper rolling off over or under, that sort of thing.

Brad

P.S. Just look at all the posts here. Other than sharing ideas, likes and dislikes, giving a bit of advice or an opinion if asked for, it seems we all get together very well. You want to see some "fighting?" Go read the posts under Bass Fishing! They draw blood over there! Ha! Brad

Re: Article why can't we all just get along [Re: formula462] #12396611 08/22/17 08:40 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Quote:
toilet paper rolling off over or under, that sort of thing.

I'll agree with most everything you said with the exception to this. It goes over the top!!! thumb

Humans will be humans. It seems like some can't be happy so they spoil it for the rest. I'm getting to the point in my life that I like to kayak fish and be happy fishing with a couple good friends.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: Article why can't we all just get along [Re: formula462] #12396853 08/22/17 11:51 PM
C
Coldspring Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
This reminds me of a time back in high school (1960 was a long time ago and very few kids in our school had a car). A friend of mine showed up in a old chevy that was little more than a bucket of rust. He had a piece of plywood to sit on because of the springs sticking out of the seat. Some of the few students who had cars started making fun of him. His answer was "ITS A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN THE ONE I DIDN'T HAVE YESTERDAY.

I will never look down on anyone because of their equipment, I assume that they bought it and are having a good time if it was what they could afford, what they thought they could get their money's worth from is none of my business. I know I could get $90K worth of pleasure out of a bass boat, if you can have at it, I have a Aluminum bass boat that I never got 14K pleasure out of sitting in the barn now.

Re: Article why can't we all just get along [Re: formula462] #12396855 08/22/17 11:51 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Ha! Me, too . . . over the top for TP.

I did understand the issue raised in the article and it certainly has merit; it is just that it is sooooo much more violent, troll-like, in other areas of angling, other venues. I wasn't kidding about the Bass Forum: an angler can post a really innocuous comment/response/suggestion, a photo of a nice fish, almost anything . . . and there is a group waiting to question or argue every aspect of the post, the actual weight of the fish, calling each other liars, fits of jealousy, everything! It is like a soap opera at times. The TFF moderators do a great job holding back this awful tendency I suppose in the nature of some people so it rarely gets out of hand. But, it's there.

And, it really, really gets nasty on YouTube videos. Here, on TFF, our moderators sort of "check" the tendency toward nastiness getting out of hand. They have a Wall of Shame here that some of you might not be aware of. It is sort of like being sent to "time out." YouTube apparently has no such "filter" and the trolls come out of the woodwork and attack! But, it is hardly limited to fishing or kayaking. It is everywhere.

I rarely see it here or on DFW Kayaking on Facebook. And, I have, so far, never encountered a kayaker on the water that I wouldn't want to fish with again. It is a pretty mellow group. The competitive kayak anglers appear to be a pretty friendly group. I hosted one of them for the recent Lake Athens event and he spoke highly of every name I brought up.

Speaking of YouTube, Chad Hoover and Flukemaster have had some issues with the "Googan Squad" but from what I have seen of it, it is really almost junior high school like bickering. I suppose controversy sells so some of it might be to attract viewers.

Brad

Re: Article why can't we all just get along [Re: formula462] #12400752 08/25/17 02:49 PM
S
Savage243 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Can we please get a "Toilet Paper" poll going? (Over the top here)

Anyway, anyone who lets people get to them has bigger issues than what kayak or gear they are using. When anyone tells me that my kayak is inferior I just shrug it off knowing that they needed to say something in order for them to feel good about their purchase. I don't take it personal at all and neither should 99% of other kayak fisherman.

Woo! Tungsten Pro Staff
https://wootungsten.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide