Page 1 of 2 1 2
Creede/Lake City in a month! #12389714 08/17/17 05:05 PM
H
Hawkpuppy 1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
H
Headed up there and plan on fishing the area between Lake City and Creede the week of Sept 25-29. I've fished around LC a decent bit but not so much towards Creede. Plan on hitting the Rio Grande a good bit and some of the feeder creeks around it. Anyone have any fly recommendations for that time of year up there? Seems like most of the go-to's of dry/dropper rigs, nymphs and such are still good to go. Seen a few mentions of even some streamers being effective then. Anyone have any recent reports or suggestions??

Strip, strip....set
Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12390821 08/18/17 01:53 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I have been to the Lake City area the last 3 years during labor day weekend and after. Lake Fork, Cebolla, and Henson fish well in September. If its still warm, hoppers. If its cold, go to streamers for the pre-spawn browns. Eggs may be a viable option in late Sept.

On the other side of the divide..... usually still a bit warmer. On the Rio, go streamers, you won't regret it. Dark and bushy tandem rigs. If you can make a hike, check out the box canyon below 30 mile campground. Terrific fishing in low flows, about a two mile hike in. Streamers and hopper/droppers. The feeder creeks will be close to shut down time if you get a cold weather snap. But if you get some warm weather, fish should be eating everything preparing for winter.

I will be up there Sept 1-10. South Fork 3 days, Cimarron Canyon 4 days, Lake City 3 days. I likely won't be on the Rio much, but definitely hitting Lake Fork and Cebolla.

Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12391798 08/18/17 11:36 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
I don't have any advice to offer yet, but I'll be staying west of Creede during Labor day week. I will probably check out the box canyon and the far upper reaches of the Rio Grande. I'll post an update when I get back.

Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12391929 08/19/17 01:27 AM
N
Naggler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Creed is awesome...caught a good mixed bag out there abut 20 yrs ago. Time flies! Good luck
fish

"Ahhh, yes yes...who has time? Then again, if we never take time, then how can we ever have time?"
Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12394920 08/21/17 06:25 PM
H
Hawkpuppy 1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
H
Any particular type/color streamers to use in the Rio? Never fished streamers before.... Fish them in the same areas as regular flies or target something else cover wise?

Strip, strip....set
Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12396542 08/22/17 07:43 PM
N
Naggler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
I was actually using ultra light spinning gear at the time and small inline spinners. Just picked up fly fishing!

"Ahhh, yes yes...who has time? Then again, if we never take time, then how can we ever have time?"
Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12396722 08/22/17 09:57 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Bright in front, dark in the back. Tandem streamer rigs. Find holding water, which is usually slower and deeper. Pre spawn Browns will move around a lot, so just keep an eye out for them in heavier water. The Rio will be quite low by that time, just look for good water.

YAK - I received some intel on upper Rio..... its a few weeks old, but very good.

Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12402075 08/26/17 02:56 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The upper Lake Fork of the Gunnison above Lake San Christobal will be fishing great.
We go up on the 8 th of September this year. As we do every year.
I rarely fish any other place, even though it is good everywhere.
Low flows, lots of dry fly action.
Favorite stretch is through the canyon just above the lake. But everything from the bridge up is good. You will have the river to yourself.
Big stimulators in orange and yellow with a size 12 or 14 prince dropper.
Lots of late caddis rises also.
For a shot at some real brutes go north of Lake City to the hike in areas right off the highway and fish the river. Just remember the river that runs right on the highway above Lake City isnt public unless it is marked so.

Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12402523 08/26/17 11:10 PM
H
Hawkpuppy 1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
H
I was actually just looking at the stretch above the lake. Looks like good water there. Have you fished up near the Mill Creek campgrounds? I've never fished the River north of town but I know there are some monsters in there. Guy I worked for right out of school use to own the place on the edge of town with the statues.

Strip, strip....set
Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12411991 09/03/17 04:47 AM
S
sowhntr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Yes sir just got back tonight!! Camped at little squaw. Just across the river from the river hill blm camp ground!

Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12411995 09/03/17 04:52 AM
S
sowhntr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I'm a Newbie but soaked it all in. We had ten cabins at our spot and every one was very helpful. I do not know much about flys but I will send you some pics tomorrow on what was working. We had a lot of rain so the river rose and was very merky. On Tuesday the guy that runs the place said he had the best fly fishing day of his career. 20 fish two above 20 inches and 10 above 16. He said he had his line broke twice, the fish never let up and ran his spoil out.

My two year olds brown

Sorry for the side ways pics

Last edited by sowhntr; 09/03/17 04:58 AM.
Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12414354 09/05/17 02:54 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Hawkpuppy 1
I was actually just looking at the stretch above the lake. Looks like good water there. Have you fished up near the Mill Creek campgrounds? I've never fished the River north of town but I know there are some monsters in there. Guy I worked for right out of school use to own the place on the edge of town with the statues.

Yes I fish up around Mill Creek often. There is a nice stretch up there. It gets fished very heavy during the summer but this time of year it gets real good.
I'm leaving next Saturday for a week. The report I got is the flows above the lake are perfect and the fishing is great.

Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12423259 09/12/17 01:54 AM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
I just got back from that area. Quite the coincidence that I stayed at the exact same place (Little Squaw) that SOWHNTR was staying!! Here's my report on the spots I fished or spots I would recommend. I did not fish the Rio down by Creede or South Fork, or anywhere below the "box canyon".

Rio Grande river between 30 mile campground and the box canyon: I fished this one day and would definitely recommend it. Start at 30 mile campground and walk at least a mile downstream before you start fishing. Apparently there is also a way to start at the lower end of the box canyon (near highway 149), but I did not try it and don't know exactly where the trail starts. This is some really good looking water and holds mostly browns. You could fish a mix of dry flies, dry/dropper or hopper/dropper combo ,and streamers. I caught fish on dries and streamers. I would recommend waders.

Ute Creek: this creek is accessed by a trail at the upper end of Rio Grande reservoir. You have to cross the Rio at the very start of the trailhead, so be prepared. You walk abut 3 miles and then the trail joins the creek and opens up into sort of a meadow and flattens out. It's nice water and holds quite a few cutthroats. You want to scale down to maybe 6X tippet and smaller flies. Smaller hoppers might also work. A 3 or 4 weight rod is just right. This is clear water and requires stealth, so be prepared to sneak around, cast from your knees, and generally just act like a fishing ninja.
Little Squaw creek: very similar water and fishing to Ute creek, but even smaller stream. This is only accessible via the Little Squaw resort, so I don't think the general public can get on the water at all.

Rio Grande above Rio Grande reservoir: I fished the area known as Brewster Park, which is several miles above the rio grande reservoir. You probably need a 4WD vehicle with some ground clearance to get there. I wouldn't try it in a standard truck with a long wheel base. This area has gin-clear water and is a beautiful stream. You will need your best stealth presentation and fine tippets to void spooking the fish.

Rio Grande reservoir: I don't recommend it. Access along the bank is very limited and even walking the bank can be really tough terrain. If you have a boat or kayak it might be worth a try.

Other water in this area I did not actually fish: Squaw creek, Weminuche creek, Pole creek. I think all of these spots would be worth a try. Pole creek will definitely require a Jeep to get there, but is apparently worth the trouble. The other two are easy access to the trailhead but require a hike in similar to ute creek.

Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12425256 09/13/17 06:12 PM
H
Hawkpuppy 1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
H
Thanks for the report yak! Anyone else? Trip is only 10 days out now!!

Strip, strip....set
Re: Creede/Lake City in a month! [Re: Hawkpuppy 1] #12428860 09/16/17 07:27 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Cebolla Creek just below Slumgullion pass.... all browns, all between 10-14", dries and droppers, I caught 25 in 3 hours last week. Lake Fork in Lake City is fishing well in the deep troughs and against the cliffs.

Henson is fishing well too, but you have to nymph or dry drop/drop. fish are deeper in the cold water. Mostly brookies with occasional rainbow or Brown below Capital City.

Rio Grande is LOW. You have to find deep water to find fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide