Forums59
Topics1,037,831
Posts13,935,274
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters #12385607 08/14/17 05:43 PM
Laner Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I am at a crossroads in regards to how I should proceed with my tackle company. When I started making jigs in 2010, I simply wanted something that would satisfy my needs as a guide. In other words, I wanted a jig that would not only catch fish, but catch a lot of fish before needing to be replaced. I developed my own formula, worked on some color patterns and tested them to see which worked best. I planted my seeds in a tiny closest of what used to be the finest tackle store in all of Texas, Finny Tribe, and have since watched this venture grow into something I never imagined.

I never expected to be this deep in the industry, and I never expected to be part of so many peoples personal memories. Our jigs, put in the hands of talented fishermen, have boated almost two dozen lake records, countless limits and even a few three pound fish. Ive had doors opened for me that I wouldve never thought possible, and since our very humble beginnings in the winter of 2010, weve grown to a level that I never even thought possible. I never intended to make a second career out of tackle manufacturing; I simply wanted a very high quality option for both myself and other anglers to enjoy, as opposed to the industry standard that covers the walls of major retailers.

Too be frank, Im not sure what to do right now. Weve survived a name change after being threatened with a lawsuit by a former NFL player. We survived having our products knocked off by competitors, something that is common in this industry and unfortunately there is no legal protection for our intellectual property. We have gotten past a surprise divorce that knocked us off our feet for a bit. Recently, our employee has lied and stolen from the company, and the fact that theyre family doesnt help much. The cherry on top is that I am currently bouncing around from house to house as a giant oak has crushed my roof and my back wall, making my lake home more of a camping spot. I have always wanted a tree house, but not a tree in my house.

To operate this a business of this quality in a legal, while making a living at it, is almost impossible. If I were to sit down and make jigs all day by myself, I could make a good wage, but I can't keep up like that. Between sales tax, excise tax (which virtually no company pays despite the burden it puts on you, the fishermen) and the price the market allows for jigs, the amount of time and effort it takes to make nickels and dimes is astounding. I havent paid myself for the last couple of years, as I didnt need the money and I wanted to keep growing the company.

I wont dare calculate the amount of times Ive spent an entire night pouring jigs in either the dead of winter or dead of summer, all in an effort to provide customer service and a product that has yet to be matched in durability and performance. I dont think the average person understands what it takes to make a jig the way we do, and the work is not glorious nor is it easy. The amount of hours and sweat is irrelevant and Im not going to complain. I am passionate about what I do, and if Im going to sign my name on something, it better be good.

Simply put, Im not having fun anymore, and as of right now, I dont know which direction to proceed. I am not in debt to anyone, and am considering selling what Ive built with many helping hands. The buyer will be someone who can maintain the quality that Constant Pursuit Outfitters is associated with, or I wont sale at all.

That being said, I have made no final decision, as I dont want to make an emotionally based choice. Right now, I am simply taking a step back and trying to line my plans up with His. I dont like rumors or assumptions, so if anyone asks whats going on with our company, you can tell them you heard it here first. Thank you Texas Fishing Forum, you have been a part of this venture from day one and I wouldnt be where I am today without you.

Last edited by Laner; 08/14/17 07:07 PM.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385671 08/14/17 06:38 PM
F
Finaddict Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Really sorry to hear you are in such an emotional position. Often goes along with success based on Personal service.
You make the best plastic available today and as I see it was it to make you a vital part of the tackle industry or to sell the business to allow you to expand your guiding passion.

Put this entirely in God's hands and he will show you the path for your life.

Good luck and looking forward to placing my next order.

You know you are a fishaholic if you have more rods than your wife has shoes!

www.g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning
www.sscrapiejigs.com
www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com
www.chriswebbsfishing.com
www.fishingftworth.com

Survived Vietnam TET offensive 1968, 100% disabled compliments of Agent Orange.
NO regrets.....
Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385695 08/14/17 06:58 PM
C
Captain Yakker Offline
Angler
Angler
C
If you lived closer, I'd jump at the chance to help out. I'd only make you take me fishing every so often.

Fishin' to stock Lake Crisco.
Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385697 08/14/17 06:59 PM
B
BrazosRiverTom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Whoa!! Talk about everything hitting the fan. From what you said, the two that stick out to me is 1) Not making money, 2) Not having fun anymore. I think you answered your own doubts, time to move on and stick with what you are having the best time at, and that sounds like Guiding. I really love your jigs and hate to see you quit making them but you have to do what is best for you. Wish I had known what was happening in your life, I would of placed a much much bigger order last June instead of just what I needed to get by. I have used the frog looking jigs for at least the last two years and I can't wait to get the new colors too. If you do decide to quit I hope you think about giving all at the Texas Fishing Forum one last shot at placing big orders so they will last us a few years which is probably all I have left before I am to old to go anymore. Once again Thanks for the info, and I wish you the best. Tom Atkinson

Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385700 08/14/17 07:01 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Laner - do what is best for 'You' first and foremost. I'm sure the path forward will present itself to you when you look at each direction with a clear mind. Whichever way you go, I hope the Best to you.

PS - If you do quit making baits, I'm claiming first 'DIBS' on rummaging through your stock so I can purchase some more so I don't run out.

PSS - Did I mention I claimed 'DIBS' on rummaging through your stock so I can purchase some more so I don't run out.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385711 08/14/17 07:08 PM
Laner Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Really it just all boils down to not being fun for me anymore. If I could sit down and make jigs all day, I can easily make a good wage. The thing is though, I don't want to make jigs all day by myself.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385727 08/14/17 07:18 PM
S
SlabbedSilly Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Sorry to hear all this is happening all at once buddy!! If it were four years from now, I'd be all over this for sure...I'd love to keep the CPO brand going. I am sure thankful that I have a few extra baits of yours lying around...lol
You were definitely meant to be a guide (IMHO), so focus on that if that's what makes you happy. You have a ton of support brother and baits or no baits, that won't change.

Last edited by SlabbedSilly; 08/14/17 07:18 PM.
Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385728 08/14/17 07:18 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

It's not easy making it look easy is it.....

I feel your pain. I wish I had 48 hrs in a day. I am sure which ever path you are guided in you will flourish and grow in what you do.

May you find peace in your decision.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385734 08/14/17 07:29 PM
C
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Sorry to hear about all your troubles man. I will say a little prayer for you my friend. Wish I could do more, you are a good dude and deserve to be happy.

2 Bedroom Lake house on CC for rent. P.M. me!
Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385739 08/14/17 07:34 PM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
If it's not fun anymore you answered your own question IMO. Good luck deciding either way though. You make one heck of a bait! Getting them fat girls used to sausage gravy then scraping it off their plate!!!

Dang!!! roflmao

Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385782 08/14/17 08:11 PM
B
Big_CatEM Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Laner,

I'll say what others already have. Go with your gut, what God feels you should do, and roll with it. I hate that someone trusted stole from within. Those are the worst! But if you're not happy, you're not happy and follow the light to what makes you happy.

I've never tried your jigs, but would support you in buy some you have left to help out. I miss Finney Tribe a lot too, as their plastics are/were awesome. I did find a great guy up in the Ozarks who makes similar stuff to Finney Tribe, but with flake in em and he's a super nice guy like you too.

Hang in there, and know tomorrow is a new day and whatever choice you make, it will be the right choice for you.

Last edited by Big_CatEM; 08/14/17 08:21 PM.

Eric
--------------------------------------------------
"Fishing is to work, what aspirin is to headaches"
'Fighting Texas Aggies Class of 93'
Wanna-be senior meteorologist for the NWS in Fort Worth
Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385823 08/14/17 08:52 PM
C
Crappie Ford Man Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Ditto with regard to many of the other comments. If you aren't enjoying it, try to find something else that gives you pleasure. Life is too short to grind through day after day if you have other options.

I've never tried your jigs but from others on this board I know they are top notch. If you find a solution whereby you are still making your product I'd love to give them a try. In any case, I wish you the best in all of your endeavors.

Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385850 08/14/17 09:18 PM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
What can I say Lane that hasn`t been said.To use an old Base Ball anology Sometimes Life throws us that big ole Uncle when we were braced for some other pitch.Just Keep swinging and do what makes you happy.Your`s were the first plastics I ordered online when I joined this forum & I salute you for one heck of a product.I still have a bunch of em.

Last edited by Fishbonz; 08/14/17 09:19 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385855 08/14/17 09:22 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Lane,

If you're not enjoying it, then change it up. Either change it to where you enjoy it, or make other arrangements.

Good luck.

Re: You Heard it Here First- Constant Pursuit Outfitters [Re: Laner] #12385888 08/14/17 09:48 PM
J
Jig Man Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
J
Pray first and foremost... thumb

Life is Good..<><

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread