texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,912
Posts13,955,226
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Lake Athens Fish Market #12382296 08/11/17 07:54 PM
F
Flags Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
F
Was open for business today. Took the tube out for a couple hours this morning. More one the tube later. After i had been on the water for an hr or so a kayak came along. It was Brad R. It was a real pleasure meeting him. Really nice guy. He was showing another guy some places for an upcoming bass tourney and he pulled alongside me for about 15 mins. I showed him the rig I use and I took a couple of fish while he was there. All in all it was a good day.

Normally I fish for fun but today I was fishing for the freezer. I teach HS and school starts back up on the 28th so my Friday fishing sessions are coming to an end. Like a dummy I forgot to take my phone out today so I couldn't get photos as they came out of the water. That had to wait until I got home. Not sure how many sunfish I caught today but it was a lot and some of them were really good fish. I turned all the bigger ones loose and kept an even 20 between 6 and 7 inches long. Perfect eating size.

On my last cast with my last piece of crawler I got a good channel cat of about 5 lbs. The last 2 times I've been on Athens I have taken cats on a jighead tipped with a piece of crawler. I'm thinking I need to spend a day on the lake just targeting cats. A 5 lb cat on my ultra light rod and 4 lb line was a pretty decent tussle.

However on a sad note I lost the float tube today. A float tube is basically an outer shell with air bladders inside. When I was pulling mine out I noticed a tear about 18 inches long in the outer shell. probably dry rot over the years. The tube is no longer safe to use. I hate to lose that one because it was my late father's. He used it for 8 or 9 years back home in CO and I got it in 2013 when lung cancer took him. Float tubes normally don't last more than 9 or 10 years so this really doesn't surprise me but I still hate to see it happen. I've got my old donut style tube in storage so I'll have to break it out to see if it is still seaworthy. If it is, I'll be on Athens next week. If it isn't then I'll need to start shopping for a new one.

Peace Y'all.

Retired Navy Chief Signalman
NJROTC Instructor Tascosa High School
Re: Lake Athens Fish Market [Re: Flags] #12382369 08/11/17 08:50 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Great post and some solid fish! You have got those gills dialed in on Athens for sure! hooked Good job Flags. thumb

Side Note: Fish Fry coming soon! food

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Lake Athens Fish Market [Re: Flags] #12382480 08/11/17 09:54 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Yep! Flags gets it done. He caught several keepers while I was floating along side and chatting. That is, by the way, a great strategy to keep the panfish that are large enough to eat but not the giant bulls. It likely means some good genetics survive . . . to breed more big ones.

In a message to Flags, I mentioned that my grandfather had a fishing tube. As I recall, it had a canvas wrap with leg holes to drop down into, then some pockets for putting "stuff." I used to take it out to Benbrook and fish with it.

Bluegills slowed down on artificials as the heat has picked up. They are, sadly, still chomping the tails off of some of my expensive Keitech plastics I use for bass!

For anyone going out to Athens, I'd follow Flag's lead and use a piece of worm. They ALWAYS bite a worm.

That'd be a fun float just to go out and target cats. Athens is not well regarded as catfish go, but we have them. I was feeding bluegills off my boathouse, one surfaced and seemed to not care about our presence, munched on the fish food. It was dark, almost black, and had a blond or white place on the top of its head. Maybe it had an injury or something.

*** I'll post a note under a separate post about my experience with a G-Rod today.

Brad

Re: Lake Athens Fish Market [Re: Flags] #12383117 08/12/17 12:44 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Great post and a super haul. Good job. woot

Re: Lake Athens Fish Market [Re: banker-always fishing] #12383167 08/12/17 02:00 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Great post and some solid fish! You have got those gills dialed in on Athens for sure! hooked Good job Flags. thumb

Side Note: Fish Fry coming soon! food

Totally agree.

Re: Lake Athens Fish Market [Re: Flags] #12383422 08/12/17 06:35 PM
doctorxring Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Great post ! Glad you guys had a fun day on the water.

That pic looks like a Pot of Gold to me !!

smile

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide