texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,738
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Houston County Lake questions.. #12365094 07/30/17 11:11 PM
D
dk2429 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Just got back from there yesterday for my third time. Stayed at the family resort Wednesday-Saturday. I've had nothing but bad [censored] fishing there all 3 times I've been which is why I continue to go back.. I do have a few questions about the lake though.

1- Almost every day I get out there and fish, I notice a boat sitting off some bulkheads mid lake. Matter in fact, there was a tourny going on Friday night and there were 4 boats all sitting in the same area. Obviously it's not a "secret honey hole" due to all the boats that fish that same area, so I'm curious to exactly what they are fishing? I went over it with my down scan/ side scan and all I saw was a few stumps about 10ft under water and what appeared to be an old railroad track on the side scan.. Just curious on what exactly all those folks are fishing on. The area I'm talking about is circled in red in the picture below. Like I said, I'm just curious to what's underneath the water there that a million boats sit on top of every time I go out.

2- I've yet to fish the east side of the family resort due to all the stumps. I don't plan to haul [censored] through there, but is there any kind of channel/path on the east side of the lake through all those stumps? I'd like to find my way to that pumping station I read everybody talking about.

3- Do those tournaments happen every Friday night and what's the fee? I'm interested in getting into one of them..

Sorry for all the words.. After fishing the lake a few times now I came up with a few questions I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Last edited by dk2429; 07/30/17 11:20 PM.

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: dk2429] #12365326 07/31/17 02:07 AM
P
pchapin Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Looks like a point with a flat about 10' deep.

“No reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact”
P01135809
Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: dk2429] #12365532 07/31/17 10:42 AM
C
ChanceHuiet Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
C
1. It's a point that comes out with scattered stumps. Nothing special about it really. It did used to hold the best grass on the lake when it had hydrilla through.
2. No there isn't really a cut. People say there is but there isn't. I've seen the lake mega low and the "cut is full of timber. But you will see where there is less timber in the middle going east. Follow that and you run into the pump station.
3. I can't help you there I have no clue.

County is pro probably my favorite lake. Have caught a ton of big fish there and even my pb spotted bass which if it wasn't for marina scales not the certified would be lake record.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: dk2429] #12366245 07/31/17 07:26 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
In another lifetime I fished there some. If memory serves, and it likely doesn't....that is where the fresh water intake for the area's drinking water is located. 35 years ago it was a hotspot.

Fishbreeder

Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: dk2429] #12366614 07/31/17 10:46 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Pump station is the water intake. You can see it on Google Maps on satellite. Take a right out Crocket Family Resort and trim up a little & just idle upstream midlake. Not far and yes you do not run on pad anywhere to the right(upper lake).

Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: dk2429] #12366845 08/01/17 01:13 AM
R
Rayzor Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Running HCL is a pain in the drain. There are just too many stumps! There is also that "sandbar" out in front of the resort's store.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: dk2429] #12367916 08/01/17 06:56 PM
C
coachmas Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Fish schooling on that point would be my guess. They group up over there regularly. Coach

Wishin I was Fishin!!!

Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: Rayzor] #12368239 08/01/17 11:35 PM
D
dk2429 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Running HCL is a pain in the drain. There are just too many stumps! There is also that "sandbar" out in front of the resort's store.

Yeah I can run the lake pretty easy the past 3 times I've been. That's on the west side of course toward the damn. Now that I have trucks running all over the place I don't worry about much.

My dad caught a 7 pounder off that hump like a month ago on a Carolina rig. I've personally have not caught anything off of it until last week. Last week, fish were schooling and chasing shad like crazy! In the morning/afternoon they were schooling at the dam, and in the evening they were at the hump. Almost every cast on a rattle trap. I haven't even ventured off to the right of the KOA yet but plan to do next trip.. Hope the Optimax likes to idle.. lol

Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: coachmas] #12368242 08/01/17 11:37 PM
D
dk2429 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: coachmas
Fish schooling on that point would be my guess. They group up over there regularly. Coach

From the whole time I was there last week (Wednesday-Sat) I didn't see any fish schooling that area until Saturday morning. Matter in fact, all my fish on Saturday before it was time to head home was around that point on a top water. About every minute a school of them would come up, cast into them, and they would knock the hell out of that spook.

Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: ChanceHuiet] #12368247 08/01/17 11:42 PM
D
dk2429 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
1. It's a point that comes out with scattered stumps. Nothing special about it really. It did used to hold the best grass on the lake when it had hydrilla through.
2. No there isn't really a cut. People say there is but there isn't. I've seen the lake mega low and the "cut is full of timber. But you will see where there is less timber in the middle going east. Follow that and you run into the pump station.

County is pro probably my favorite lake. Have caught a ton of big fish there and even my pb spotted bass which if it wasn't for marina scales not the certified would be lake record.

Man thanks for the info!! I thought it was something special underneath the water there that caused all those people to be there

Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: dk2429] #12368307 08/02/17 12:26 AM
C
ChanceHuiet Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: dk2429

Man thanks for the info!! I thought it was something special underneath the water there that caused all those people to be there

I've literally seen the entire make boiling with schoolers. Like you can't get away from them moving the entire lake. County used to be an amazing lake where if I didn't have 25 lbs with a 7 plus every trip it was upsetting. It's slowed way down since the grass was killed off but man it's still full of big fish. I like it during the winter time now days. Not alot of numbers but I've had quite a few trips where I catch a couple over 6 a day.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Houston County Lake questions.. [Re: ChanceHuiet] #12368777 08/02/17 03:23 AM
D
dk2429 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: dk2429

I've literally seen the entire make boiling with schoolers. Like you can't get away from them moving the entire lake. County used to be an amazing lake where if I didn't have 25 lbs with a 7 plus every trip it was upsetting. It's slowed way down since the grass was killed off but man it's still full of big fish. I like it during the winter time now days. Not alot of numbers but I've had quite a few trips where I catch a couple over 6 a day.

Yeah it sure is a nice lake! My very first time I was there I was like 5-6 years old years ago playing with my toy truck/boat at the boat ramp at the resort. But my first actual time to really fish it was back in may. Stayed there Friday-Saturday and my buddy hung into a 5 pounder, and I hauled in a 4 and two 3's. Caught a number or 1-2 pounders. If I remember correctly every one we caught was on a bone color Heddon spook except one of my 3's was on a frog. Saturday morning, we weren't even 15 mins into fishing. We were fishing one of the coves right next to the public ramp, and I swear to you, my buddy had to have at least a 7-8lb come out of the water and grab that spook. When he got off, all hell broke lose... That was PB for him.... 2nd time up there was kind of slow but I did manage a 4lb once again on the bone spook, then some 1-2's. Cool thing about that trip though was that I got my nephew hung up on his first bass. It was a solid 2-3. The past week didn't bring me much of size, biggest one being maybe 2 1/2, but the numbers was insane. Not exaggerating, I'd say at least 15-20 each evening chasing the schools. My mom actually managed to hang up a white bass, which I had the least expectations of any white bass in that lake of all. Sure proved me wrong! The only downer about last week is that I lost my first spotted bass at the damn.. Had him right up to the boat and he got off. He was a good 3-4 pounder, and I was so pissed off. After all my years of growing up bass fishing I've never caught spot, and missed my chance. My buddy and I run a YouTube channel and filmed all 3 trips. As soon as I get the first one uploaded I'll post a link.

Last edited by dk2429; 08/02/17 03:29 AM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide