Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Fishing Muddy Water #12361314 07/27/17 07:24 PM
west tex angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I just wanted to know what some of you guys thought about fishing in the soup. There seems to be a general feeling on this Forum that it's near impossible to catch fish in muddy water.
Back "in the day" when Hubbard Creek was arguably the best lake in the state, a large portion of the good fish were caught in muddy water. I'm not talking about dingy water, but 12"-18" visability muddy water.

We would fish up in Sandy Creek, way up in Hubbard Creek and a little place not many knew about called Lost Creek. All of these were HCL tributaries
We caught a lot of them "doodle socking" today we call it flipping. We also fished that muddy water during the spawn with a spinner bait and even a bomber was a killer up in the bushes. Just wondered if there is anyone else out there not scared to fish muddy water. The bass hit hard, and they don't have time to get a good look at your lure. They just eat it.

Any West Texas boys out there

Good Luck

PB 9lbs 13oz
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12361496 07/27/17 09:27 PM
R
Resh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I wondered about this recently as well. I fish Lavon a bunch and I can't see my flippers sitting in my tube. I've tried the deeper "summer" bite lately and can't get a bite but can get bit in 8ft or less ok. I've been on another couple lakes recently that are much more clear and have had some luck with a deeper bite. Typically from what I understand fish in the soup tend to hold tighter to cover, and may be shallower than in a clear water scenario.

I've come to think clear water in texas is being able to see my feet while floating around thumb

There are no fish in sonic pond EDIT: Except 1 20lb catfish
Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12361519 07/27/17 09:43 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: west tex angler
I just wanted to know what some of you guys thought about fishing in the soup. There seems to be a general feeling on this Forum that it's near impossible to catch fish in muddy water.
Back "in the day" when Hubbard Creek was arguably the best lake in the state, a large portion of the good fish were caught in muddy water. I'm not talking about dingy water, but 12"-18" visability muddy water.

We would fish up in Sandy Creek, way up in Hubbard Creek and a little place not many knew about called Lost Creek. All of these were HCL tributaries
We caught a lot of them "doodle socking" today we call it flipping. We also fished that muddy water during the spawn with a spinner bait and even a bomber was a killer up in the bushes. Just wondered if there is anyone else out there not scared to fish muddy water. The bass hit hard, and they don't have time to get a good look at your lure. They just eat it.

Good Luck

That brings back some good memories on Hubbard Creek. It was one of the best flipping bites around. Loved the reeds outside the river channel around the boat ramp up the river. It was a little tough to get the boat through the Willow Trees to get to the reeds. Had to power it up on its side a little to squeeze between the trees as they were leaning out over the creek. It was much easier getting out and back into the river. Brush Hogs and Lizards worked great. Also caught lots of good fish on my jigs.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12361522 07/27/17 09:47 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Couple months ago before it got ridiculously hot we had one of those flooding rains we had so many of this spring. Was on Squaw Creek and went up a feeder creek called Lollar Creek. The runoff had turned the water into chocolate milk. Visibility of only several inches with lots of trash floating on top. I killed the fish simply casting worms right onto the bank. Literally on the shore in several inch deep water. Squaw is not usually a bank beaters lake but they liked the muddy water that day.

Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12362276 07/28/17 01:29 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I for one hate muddy water. I usually avoid fishing it. But the success I have had when I have fished it is on chatterbaits. We had some major spring rains up here in OK and the lake I fish was up 15 feet and was chocolate milk. You had to wade out to the dock that is for launching the boats. After getting no bites on the usual tactics, switched to the chatterbaits hitting flooded trees and they were hammering it. These same trees I was flipping jigs and tr plastics.

Had same thing on Palestine one spring. Up there for family fish fry weekend, lake is mud. Switched to chatterbait and started catching fish. It is the only lure I have confidence in right now in muddy water.

Last edited by redskeet100; 07/28/17 01:29 PM.
Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12362319 07/28/17 01:57 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I have found that Bass are just as particular about the baits you throw in muddy water as clear water. I build the Muddy Water Spinner Baits for that application. There are 4 that I have tied on to determine what they are searching for on that particular day and the Blade Jig is one of them.

- Smaller single spin built off the OKIE BUG pattern.
- Med size Colo. double spin built off the TRICKSTER pattern.
- Willow/Colo. double spin built off the Hank Parker pattern.
- Orange Prism Blade Jig built specific for muddy water.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12362329 07/28/17 02:04 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Lots of vibration, rattling and dark colors.

Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12362339 07/28/17 02:11 PM
west tex angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I had two favorites for muddy water. One was the Tom Mann single spin. It was just a big spinner bait, white skirt with a red head. My wife always wondered where her fingernail polish was going, I was using it to repaint my spinner bait heads.
The other was what we called an Octopus. It was just a jig head with a hand poured eight legged octopus attached. Usually black with white or yellow tipped legs.
The fish do bit in muddy water, and as someone said, usually in shallow water, under heavy cover.
I have found the same thing. If the water is rising from heavy rains, I go shallow, and look for muddier water.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12362366 07/28/17 02:25 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: west tex angler

Good Luck

If we get 12-18" on Livingston we call it clear! I like to go super shallow and fish loud baits in the chocolate milk

Re: Fishing Muddy Water [Re: west tex angler] #12362376 07/28/17 02:29 PM
DonnyG Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Nice to know

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide