Forums59
Topics1,039,138
Posts13,959,786
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: PowerLizard] #12338498 07/14/17 01:59 AM
S
skeeter22 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Add Rollover Pass to the list.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: butch sanders] #12338778 07/14/17 06:20 AM
J
jbuell Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: butch sanders
Originally Posted By: jbuell
Originally Posted By: karstopo
The mouth of the Brazos River has everything on your list. It probably doesn't see near the foot and boat traffic that SLP gets, but it's claimed plenty of victims and there have been many close calls.

You know what...youre not wrong. I saw a guy on a kayak get air rescued there 2 years ago....all the current but with added debris in the water

did he get caught in the current?

Yup. Three novices in 3 kayaks tried to throw in near the mouth. One got flipped over early on and made it to shore. One guy rode the current to a sand bar and hopped out where he could wade in. The 3rd just shot out to open water in the gulf and tried to paddle his way to the beach. He was in a flat bottom 10ft yak and soon got flipped over. Me and some other guys tried to help but there was nothing we could do. He was wearing a pfd that saved his life, but the rescue swimmers had to get him.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: PowerLizard] #12338787 07/14/17 07:35 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I hadn't heard that story from the Mouth of the Brazos. I knew about the one with the kayak guide and one of his clients getting into trouble there.

I've kayaked there a couple of times. Always when the Brazos didn't have much fresh water runoff and that's rare for the Brazos. Even then the channel is so relatively narrow and so much tidal action generated water moves through there as it pours into and out of the ICW and river inland it's pretty hairy. Then some swells from the gulf find their way into the channel well inside the beach line when the gulf is just a little rough. Add to that the wind generated chop and then have the current flowing in direct opposition making for a mess. Anytime a major current is flowing Southeast and the wave/swell action is moving Northwest it makes for some really nasty wave action. It's hard to see that type of set up from shore. Once you are in it it's too late.

It's bad enough even in a large bay/inshore/nearshore type boat out there if you want to run out beyond the breakers. If the gulf has its usual 2-3 waves, at some point to get out or back in a boat will have to pick its way through the ever shifting bars and have the boat at the right speed to time the swell that can suddenly become a breaker. I've known of several power boats that got caught up in it and gotten swamped or flipped.

Let's say you do end up in the water there after your kayak or boat capsizes. You won't find a place with more bull and plenty of tiger sharks around. I'd hate to be bleeding and bobbing up and down in that spot. But you survive that and find yourself able to make it to the opposite shore. Here you have a place with Yoo-hoo water and stingrays galore. As you thrash and swim for the blessed shore hoping to just lay on the golden sand your naked feet and legs contact razor sharp oysters. You heard me, it's the only surf zone that has anchored reef, not broken shell, that I've ever come across. So bleeding and bruised from that encounter you crawl onto the thin ribbon of sand. Feet away are the giant piles drift wood trees and the Western Diamondbacks rattlesnakes that call them home. It's not if you will see a rattlesnake there, it's when.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: PowerLizard] #12339285 07/14/17 04:00 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
dang karstopo
how does anybody live through a fishing trip there

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: karstopo] #12339433 07/14/17 05:16 PM
R
roadtrip Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
I hadn't heard that story from the Mouth of the Brazos. I knew about the one with the kayak guide and one of his clients getting into trouble there.

I've kayaked there a couple of times. Always when the Brazos didn't have much fresh water runoff and that's rare for the Brazos. Even then the channel is so relatively narrow and so much tidal action generated water moves through there as it pours into and out of the ICW and river inland it's pretty hairy. Then some swells from the gulf find their way into the channel well inside the beach line when the gulf is just a little rough. Add to that the wind generated chop and then have the current flowing in direct opposition making for a mess. Anytime a major current is flowing Southeast and the wave/swell action is moving Northwest it makes for some really nasty wave action. It's hard to see that type of set up from shore. Once you are in it it's too late.

It's bad enough even in a large bay/inshore/nearshore type boat out there if you want to run out beyond the breakers. If the gulf has its usual 2-3 waves, at some point to get out or back in a boat will have to pick its way through the ever shifting bars and have the boat at the right speed to time the swell that can suddenly become a breaker. I've known of several power boats that got caught up in it and gotten swamped or flipped.

Let's say you do end up in the water there after your kayak or boat capsizes. You won't find a place with more bull and plenty of tiger sharks around. I'd hate to be bleeding and bobbing up and down in that spot. But you survive that and find yourself able to make it to the opposite shore. Here you have a place with Yoo-hoo water and stingrays galore. As you thrash and swim for the blessed shore hoping to just lay on the golden sand your naked feet and legs contact razor sharp oysters. You heard me, it's the only surf zone that has anchored reef, not broken shell, that I've ever come across. So bleeding and bruised from that encounter you crawl onto the thin ribbon of sand. Feet away are the giant piles drift wood trees and the Western Diamondbacks rattlesnakes that call them home. It's not if you will see a rattlesnake there, it's when.

Sounds great, I'm all in. Let's go Butch!

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: roadtrip] #12339805 07/14/17 08:32 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: roadtrip

Sounds great, I'm all in. Let's go Butch!

yeah
come on RT
since our wives won't let us go solo anymore

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: PowerLizard] #12340145 07/15/17 12:21 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
All of the stuff I mentioned has happened, but not to necessarily to the same people. My neighbor's cousin jumped out of a boat there in the minimal surf and landed right on the razor sharp shell cutting himself pretty badly. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen the shell first hand. My neighbor's brother, dad, and their friend capsized out in the same basic spot and darn near drowned. My dad's friend capsized out there. I think that was a Grady white. That was pretty ugly.

Another friend pulled his kayak up onto the opposite shore and almost on top of a 5-6 foot rattlesnake. Nothing really bad has happened to me personally there other than some hairy near swamping breaker action trying to come back in. But it is one place I won't kayak alone. That might be just about the only place I won't.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: karstopo] #12340887 07/15/17 02:40 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
All of the stuff I mentioned has happened, but not to necessarily to the same people. My neighbor's cousin jumped out of a boat there in the minimal surf and landed right on the razor sharp shell cutting himself pretty badly. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen the shell first hand. My neighbor's brother, dad, and their friend capsized out in the same basic spot and darn near drowned. My dad's friend capsized out there. I think that was a Grady white. That was pretty ugly.

Another friend pulled his kayak up onto the opposite shore and almost on top of a 5-6 foot rattlesnake. Nothing really bad has happened to me personally there other than some hairy near swamping breaker action trying to come back in. But it is one place I won't kayak alone. That might be just about the only place I won't.

dang
i was hoping it all happened in 1 event

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: PowerLizard] #12341378 07/15/17 10:07 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I got into a little trouble wading at the mouth of the Brazos myself. I was wading in waist deep water and stepped into a hole. The current didn't seem real bad but it was just enough to keep me from getting back to shallow water to get my feet down. After a while, I got completely worn out and would have probably gone under if I wasn't using a donut. I grabbed the donut and was able to paddle down the beach a bit to get out of the current. By the time I got back on the sand, I was 3/4's of a mile down the beach from the truck. I know that because I measured it with my odometer on the way home.

Another scary one. I was wading there right before daybreak. The water was flat and clear, just beautiful with flashes of phosphorus glow when the fish came through. I got about mid thigh in the water and a school of mullet just exploded all around me. Immediately, a huge fish, I assume a shark, came screaming right past me glowing. I went right back and cast from the beach until daylight.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: PowerLizard] #12341515 07/16/17 12:36 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I have caught more sharks there than any other place. They probably are attracted to all the stuff washed from way up river. A friend with some river frontage between Lake Jackson and Brazoria caught a big bull shark way up there.

Surely SLP has claimed more lives. But SLP has way more traffic and people. If the MOB had the amount of people and traffic that SLP has...I wonder.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: PowerLizard] #12346618 07/18/17 11:16 PM
Okyakfishing Offline
Angler
Angler
SLP is dangerous, I took a boat down a few years ago and even well up in the bay away from the pass the current was unreal. I was in a boat and still a little scared.
I was thinking of bringing a kayak to fish out of but NEVER at SLP after seeing that current.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: smooth move] #12352453 07/22/17 01:17 AM
Trunkful Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: smooth move
San Luis Pass------currents and shifting sand bottoms caused by all the water that exits the bays through there.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: steve_twice] #12352454 07/22/17 01:18 AM
Trunkful Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: steve_twice
From a boating perspective, Baffin.

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: skeeter22] #12355748 07/24/17 05:36 PM
P
PReaux Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Originally Posted By: skeeter22
Add Rollover Pass to the list.

gulf side, outgoing tide . . you bet . .

Re: Most Dangerous Place to Fish on Texas Coast ? [Re: PowerLizard] #12378066 08/08/17 11:36 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Just saw on the news, after a particularly deadly summer, wading and swimming in San Louis Pass is now prohibited with a fine of up to $500.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide