Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: Blues] #12351163 07/21/17 01:03 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Blues
You have plenty of experience to go after them gato. Cut fresh shad, carp, or small live perch under a cork or on bottom in a likely area. Count to at least 10 before reeling down.

I like smaller circles for gar, 5 or 6/0 but I've caught lots on 8's too. You'll lose more with circles vs letting them swallow treble hooks, but I figure if I don't want a big cat swallowing the hook, I owe gar the same respect.

Thanks Blues! I like the way you think Amigo! I'm not into killing for sport..when I kill something I eat it or use it for bait and I don't eat gar! I do my fair share of hunting but I always eat what I kill. My exceptions are rattlesnakes, copper heads, and water moccasins. I blast they azz every chance I get! When I take my buddies hog hunting I tell em they gotta clean whatever they kill. No shoot and dump. I would hate to hang a 40 yr old 7ft fish and it die just so I can get a thrill and a photo. cowboy texas

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351292 07/21/17 02:05 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
ninja

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351338 07/21/17 02:23 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I see u peekin Rick! .you guys that fish with treble hooks...where does the hook usually wind up when you catch one? I've caught many gar over the years creek fishing with a roadrunner for sandies and also fishing up shallow for cats but I usually hooked em in the mouth or snagged em. I hear guys say to not set the hook anywhere from 10 seconds up to 90 seconds. Is this so they swallow the hook to insure a good hook up or just to let em get ahold the bait good before setting hook?

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351488 07/21/17 03:32 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Yes you want them to swallow it. Gar will swim around with bait in their beak for a minute sometimes before they "eat" it and try to get a hook set in their hard nose is difficult. Once they swallow a treble you just cut the line and leave the hook. Usually when they swallow a circle it catches in the corner of the mouth where there's more meat and the hook can be removed. They will jump and shake out circles sometimes though

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351634 07/21/17 04:49 PM
N
Nickbyrd Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
N
let us know how you do when you go.

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351804 07/21/17 06:16 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Do the treble hooked fish live??i don't think leaving a little hook embedded in a giant fish has a huge affect on em. Like a piercing..I have caught some giant blues with multiple hooks hanging from the corner of their mouth that looked like they had been there a while. Not sure about one in the gut though..doesn't sound to comfortable to me!

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351843 07/21/17 06:44 PM
L
Littlefeather Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
My hook-up ratio went way up once I switched to treble hooks. I can say I don't remember any fish completely swallowing the hook. Generally, as said, the fish just swims around with the bait in it's mouth for awhile. I've seen them go way more than a minute before they finally ate the bait. I kept loosing gar when using j hooks and circle hooks. I switched to nylon braid(200#) and #2 treble's. The hook generally ends up in the throat(removable) or in the soft tissue inside the corner of the mouth. Just have to remember not to horse the fish and end up bending out the treble. I personally believe the nylon leader feels more natural than steel leaders and result in more hook-ups due to them not feeling the leader when they pick up a bait. These fish do JUMP! They will throw a hook often when they do. I sure miss the Guadalupe south of Victoria. That river has some good fish in it!

Those who dance are considered mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351889 07/21/17 07:06 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Ok ok ok, I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your wanting to try to catch an alligator gar in Lewisville????????

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351942 07/21/17 07:56 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Yes Richard!!! What do think I been talkin bout pardner?..go big or go home! I don't go for numbers, I go for monsters! I've been seeing some 7ftrs this past month that push 200lbs..I freakin can't stop thinking bout landing one. While I'm not "expecting" to catch a trophy, I just don't see very many monsters like 25 yrs ago on LV but they are defignitly there..plus I have a lucky hat! Lol

Last edited by El Gato Azul; 07/21/17 07:59 PM.

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12351956 07/21/17 08:03 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
All of my experiences, well most, are long nose and spotted. I've only been to the trinity once and wasn't able to land a gator gar. GG don't exist where I typically fish and I wasn't aware of any in LL, rarely fished it though. I thought we was talking long nose this whole time, but the technics are about the same.

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12352025 07/21/17 08:39 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are Giant Gator Gar in LV. No where near as many Giants as when I was a kid but I still see some absolute trophy fish

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12352030 07/21/17 08:42 PM
L
Littlefeather Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I also was unaware of gator gar in most of these central and northern lakes. Hey, the man says he's seeing 200# gator gar!!! I'll float around like an idiot for a tug that big! It's been my experience that the still water lake giant gar generally lay like a log on bottom most of the time. They don't tend to move like the river fish. Summer pushes oxygen levels low and they move to the surface to gulp air. Years ago, when I was a young tike I remember droves of those monster Sow's leaving the Mission River system to spawn in the shallow brackish bays. They were abundant then! Then the fish industry found that they had great food value and the trot-liners went to work! In just a few years(1970's) they all but wiped out the species. My personal best came from the Mission River at the mouth of Mission bay close to Rockport a few years back. We didn't have a way to weigh her but we knew she was 175-200#. It was immortalized in a feature magazine article a few months later. Since then I've seen fewer and fewer of the true beasts! I like that most are released! They are one of the most docile fish is fresh water even though they resemble a pitbull. I'm ready! woot

Those who dance are considered mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12352080 07/21/17 09:25 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Thanks Curtis! I'm not saying they are plentiful but I see a few Giants from time to time. And guys, I'm not a neophyte fisherman. Someone might tell you there are no GAtor Gar in LV but I'm here to tell you there are. I grew up on Lake Lewisville in the 70s and I been a lake rat my whole life. I fish LV every week for 30 yrs and damn sure know what a 7ft 200lb fish is when it breaks the surface next to my boat

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12352125 07/21/17 09:53 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
It's on the trinity river basin so I'm not doubting you, I've been on LL about 3 times total. I'm in west tx and when you hear of gator gar out here it's a mis-identification of big long nose gar 100% of the time.

Re: Who wants to chase some Gar in LV? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12352245 07/21/17 11:09 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Hookin up to tha boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide