Forums59
Topics1,038,937
Posts13,955,849
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12274969 06/02/17 02:23 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Thanks Chuck. I kind of figured that. Love seeing fish caught in other parts of the state. The Bluegill section is a great section to see some beautiful fish.

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12275259 06/02/17 04:56 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
The spawn plays a huge part in coloring fish up, in that they are cold blooded animals and when the water warms their metabolism changes and it allows the pigmentation to show from the increased blood flow. The same fish may look different if caught in the early morning vs mid day when the water has gotten warmer. They are also excited/stressed when caught on a hook and that makes their colors "pop". The clarity of the water makes a difference. The ones Chuck catch are mostly in very clear water so the colors are brighter & lighter so they don't "stick out". In more stained but still good visibility water and/or heavy vegetation (ETX) , the colors are deeper and darker. Also the fish that live in shallower water with more sunshine have more color than deeper fish. The water ph, diet, and the fact that they hybridize easily make for lots of color variations. A change in temperature or a change in the substrate in a lake, river, creek, pond (two ponds right next to each other, fed by the same water and stocked with the same fish but one has a dark bottom with grass and the other has a light bottom with riprap-------- the fish will look different). I keep Sunfish in two large aquariums (225gl, 175gl) and notice color changes when I feed them, when I change the temperature of the water, or see the fight for territory. These fish have strong chameleon tendencies, extreme aggression and are easily available to catch which make them my favorite fish to target from Late Spring to Early Fall.

These are my first hand observations along with book research. I'm no biologist just fascinated by these cool fish.

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: Dfitz] #12284006 06/08/17 10:00 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content OP
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Fitz
The spawn plays a huge part in coloring fish up, in that they are cold blooded animals and when the water warms their metabolism changes and it allows the pigmentation to show from the increased blood flow. The same fish may look different if caught in the early morning vs mid day when the water has gotten warmer. They are also excited/stressed when caught on a hook and that makes their colors "pop". The clarity of the water makes a difference. The ones Chuck catch are mostly in very clear water so the colors are brighter & lighter so they don't "stick out". In more stained but still good visibility water and/or heavy vegetation (ETX) , the colors are deeper and darker. Also the fish that live in shallower water with more sunshine have more color than deeper fish. The water ph, diet, and the fact that they hybridize easily make for lots of color variations. A change in temperature or a change in the substrate in a lake, river, creek, pond (two ponds right next to each other, fed by the same water and stocked with the same fish but one has a dark bottom with grass and the other has a light bottom with riprap-------- the fish will look different). I keep Sunfish in two large aquariums (225gl, 175gl) and notice color changes when I feed them, when I change the temperature of the water, or see the fight for territory. These fish have strong chameleon tendencies, extreme aggression and are easily available to catch which make them my favorite fish to target from Late Spring to Early Fall.

These are my first hand observations along with book research. I'm no biologist just fascinated by these cool fish.

Could not have side it any better! Great information Andrew! thumb

Gitter: Yes Sir about the Bluegill section being the best. Andrew just showed why! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12284811 06/08/17 06:46 PM
1960texan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

Could not have side it any better! Great information Andrew! thumb

Ditto. Very interesting and informative write-up.

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12285216 06/08/17 11:09 PM
P
Pot licker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Pretty colors!

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12289478 06/12/17 10:01 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks Pot licker for the reply. Love those Longear! cheers

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12298241 06/17/17 11:08 AM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Nice fish Chuck. Love those colors. woot

Side note. Is the water body spring fed ?

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: Laker One] #12305819 06/22/17 09:11 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers The water body is spring fed. It's a creek. Water is in it year around on the part I was fishing. thumb

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12310951 06/26/17 12:08 AM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Thanks! Hopefully the springs got a shot of water from this latest front!

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: Laker One] #12319248 07/01/17 03:45 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Laker One
Thanks! Hopefully the springs got a shot of water from this latest front!

They did. Some more RAIN would not hurt! cheers

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12320036 07/01/17 11:01 PM
O
ottfamilyfarms Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Amazing color on those fish clap

Any day on the water is a good day!

Russell Ott
940-206-9322
russellaott@gmail.com
Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12324351 07/05/17 10:00 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks ottfamilyfarms for the reply. cheers Yes Sir some of these water bodies hold some amazing fish. coolio Love catching those sunnies. thumb

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: Dfitz] #12330770 07/09/17 01:35 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G

That's what I love about the Bluegill section. Anglers here have so great knowledge and share it.

Re: A Hidden Hill Country Creek ! Nice Longear ! [Re: Gitter Done] #12343646 07/17/17 10:07 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Gitter Done

That's what I love about the Bluegill section. Anglers here have so great knowledge and share it.

Yes Sir and there are a lot of em. thumb

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide