Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Smoker Died #12337271 07/13/17 02:49 PM
TBassYates Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Bought an electric/digital smoker a year or so ago and have been using it a ton. Finally after leaving it out in the rain uncovered and the plastic covering the buttons cracking and peeling off it shorted out and died the day before July 4th family get together. Was really bummed and about to take it to the dump, then me and my brother pretty much out of desperation decided we would redneck it and convert it to take care of the holiday weekend. Pulled the heating element out at the bottom and just converted it by using the water pan to hold charcoal and wood chips. Still used the side part for adding more charcoal and wood chips and ended up smoking hot dogs, hot links and sausage on it. Then the next day I did a leap frog chicken that turned out great. I even took it one step further when I ran out of propane on my grill and just adapted it and cooked hamburgers on it and they turned out great since I was able to cook them with the door closed for more smoke and just open it up to flip them every now and then. I was able to do about 30 patty's on my four racks all at the same time. They turned out to be some of the best hamburgers we have done. Maybe just the seasoned box or the way when closing the door that the smoke surrounds them made a great flavor. Now I am really fired up to keep using this smoker even more than I did before.

[Linked Image]
Re: Smoker Died [Re: TBassYates] #12337652 07/13/17 05:58 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Good deal....I did the opposite with my 22"Ole' Smokey. Got a heating element along with the heat controller power cord. I mounted it inside on bottom of the Smokey, added some grates and was good to go. I bought "The Tube" and the "Wedgie" for my wood pellets. The 12" Tube filled with pellets will smoke for 4 hours. The element was a 450 Watt'er. Don't need more than that, The Smokey holds temps just fine....

Last edited by V-Bottom; 07/13/17 05:59 PM.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Smoker Died [Re: TBassYates] #12337820 07/13/17 07:28 PM
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I thought about doing that also. I used to have one of the old Brinkman bullet smokers that worked real good but I did have to replace the heating element a few times in it and eventually the whole bottom would rust and fall apart.
Not sure how long this one will last but I do like having the complete door that opens up which makes it easy for loading and unloading.

[Linked Image]
Re: Smoker Died [Re: TBassYates] #12357002 07/25/17 12:11 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I bought a dead Masterbuilt smoker...digital controller was dead, so wired it direct and bought a PID controller from Auberin's. Holds temp +/- 2 degrees and I can program it so it will shut off when an specific internal meat temp is reached and hold it warm till I can get back to it. I can also cold smoke with it...bacon, cheese, etc..

Re: Smoker Died [Re: TBassYates] #12363061 07/28/17 10:48 PM
G
gander Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
G
Originally Posted By: TBassYates
Bought an electric/digital smoker a year or so ago and have been using it a ton. Finally after leaving it out in the rain uncovered and the plastic covering the buttons cracking and peeling off it shorted out and died the day before July 4th family get together. Was really bummed and about to take it to the dump, then me and my brother pretty much out of desperation decided we would redneck it and convert it to take care of the holiday weekend. Pulled the heating element out at the bottom and just converted it by using the water pan to hold charcoal and wood chips. Still used the side part for adding more charcoal and wood chips and ended up smoking hot dogs, hot links and sausage on it. Then the next day I did a leap frog chicken that turned out great. I even took it one step further when I ran out of propane on my grill and just adapted it and cooked hamburgers on it and they turned out great since I was able to cook them with the door closed for more smoke and just open it up to flip them every now and then. I was able to do about 30 patty's on my four racks all at the same time. They turned out to be some of the best hamburgers we have done. Maybe just the seasoned box or the way when closing the door that the smoke surrounds them made a great flavor. Now I am really fired up to keep using this smoker even more than I did before.
Could be the fact your were cooking with charcoal/wood...these tend to add flavor

Re: Smoker Died [Re: gander] #12370731 08/03/17 01:39 PM
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: gander
Originally Posted By: TBassYates
Could be the fact your were cooking with charcoal/wood...these tend to add flavor

The one thing that I have really noticed is when I was using the digital heating element and using my pecan wood it gave a good smoky flavor but now that I am using the charcoal and wood some of my meats because of flare ups etc. is coming out more charred which is an added flavor that was missing before and never had on any of my other smokers before. I did some sausages over the top of some chicken breasts this past weekend and with the juices of the sausage dripping over the chicken breasts they came out really good. I am almost doing a hybrid grill/smoke technique that is coming out tasting really good and the last brisket I did this way with 4 hours in the contraption and the rest of the time in the over wrapped in foil with beer, worsterchire sauce and spices low and slow overnight was some of the best tasting brisket I have had.
The other thing I have realized is that I am pretty much probably over wanting another electric smoker and will probably just get a nice big regular smoker again because I have realized how much fun it is to keep working with it and not just put something in it, press a couple of buttons and walk away for a few hours.

[Linked Image]
Re: Smoker Died [Re: TBassYates] #12372024 08/04/17 10:14 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
One thing I do miss with the electric smoker is the red smoke ring on the meat, which is caused by the combustion of the wood fuel. I'm sure that burning, charring of woods adds some flavor to the meat.

I'm looking for another dead Masterbuit electric smoker and I'm going to add a firebox to the side and plumb the smoke in through a metal tube and flange.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide