Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? #12336238 07/12/17 08:53 PM
The Crappie Detective Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
This will be first boat. I'm Looking for advice as far as length, new or used, and deciding between the mako or tracker

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12336391 07/12/17 10:45 PM
O
onfirecrappie Offline
Angler
Angler
O
Buying a boat is sort of like buying a car. Decide what you are comfortable spending and then buy what you think will be the best boat for you in that price range. There will always be someone that has a boat that you like better than yours. A boat, especially a fishing boat only has to serve its purpose and your needs. I put a lot more emphasis on the type of motor you get. Not too many times someone is left stranded in the middle of the lake because of something other than the motor. It happens but it's not that common. I have a Yamaha four stroke and it has been the best motor I have ever run. I've had it since 2001. I also am a big fan of storage in a boat. I like for things to be in there place. Unfortunately my boat has very little, but the upside, it's paid for. Lol.

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12336506 07/12/17 11:59 PM
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Okay man thanks for the info

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12336555 07/13/17 12:32 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
go big as you can on everything...then upgrade..

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12336566 07/13/17 12:37 AM
scruboak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I had a friend that had a tracker I really didn't care for it but I had always had bigger boats.So everyone has different taste in what makes them happy.

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12337123 07/13/17 01:20 PM
F
fish n fool Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
If it is your first boat I would recommend going for a used boat first. Before you dump alot of money on one you may not be happy with in the end. A good used boat will do you just as good a job save on the dollars. I agree go as big as you can. It could make the difference between sitting on the bank or going fishing when the wind gets up.

DJSmith

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12337719 07/13/17 06:30 PM
Duck_Jerky Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Couple words of advice...these are just my own...so take it for what it may or may not be worth:

- Buy as big a boat as you can afford.
- Don't be afraid of buying a used boat. All the $$ is hanging off the back end, so just do your homework with the motor.
- Have at least 80lbs. of trolling motor power...which will be a 24v system. Winds here in TX will eat up a 12v motor if you are planning on fishing the larger lakes.
- If buying used...be sure and take the boat on the water for an hour or so. Use it as you would if you bought it. All the boats I have owned...I fished out of them for about an hour to see how everything worked out.
- If you are new to boats...don't be afraid to have an experienced boat owner go with you to check the boat out and take it on the water...the more eyes/ears the better.
- ENJOY! Best 2 days of a boat owner's life are the day they buy a boat, and the day they sell a boat wink

Brian Carter
Pro Staff
B'n'M Poles - www.bnmpoles.com - Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
War Eagle Boats - www.wareagleboats.com - Built for hunters who love to fish!

Videos
www.youtube.com/BnMFishingPoles - YouTube Channel
Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12337744 07/13/17 06:46 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline
Angler
Angler
M
My 2 cents, if there's a chance you will do open water fishing like for whites or stripers, and or will ever go to the coast, go with the mako, assuming you mean center console. A center console can do everything well, including tubing etc...if you might take out kids and such. Like others said, go as big as you can, but of course there is always a limit to that, not just on budget, but what you want to mess with. You want to be comfortable running it. If you really take to boating, it is almost guaranteed you will want something bigger someday anyway, so just get what you can get and enjoy until then. Also go as big as you can on the motor, again there is a limit to this, but you will be glad you do.

Used v. new, man that's a tough one, if looking at used and not really confident take someone who is and who you are confident in, or buy used from a dealership. Confidence in the boat will be huge in using and enjoying it, so though new or used from dealership has a cost that might be an investment in that confidence. Maybe that's me, but though I've been around farm mechanics all my life, I just didn't have that confidence. New is great if you can because though there is a lot of front side cost, you get to do all the break in, put all the scratches and holes in it, all the custom set up. The balance is everybody who gets new loves it, but almost all of them got to getting new through having used boats first. You've probably heard BOAT stands for bring out another thousand, well, it usually works out that way either way, new on the front end; used on those few calm days when you actually also have a day off but that's the day the boat decides to break.

Best of luck in your search!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: mickeytfc] #12337829 07/13/17 07:32 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
The first boat I bought was a deep-v alum 16' 20 hp tiller for $800 and dilly trailer. That was a good one to figure out that I needed a bigger boat for the wind and what I really want to be able to fish the way I want. Two boats later I bought the perfect boat for me.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12337831 07/13/17 07:33 PM
David Allen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I bought a new tracker about 3 years ago and it was great as long as there wasn't any wind. The problem is that there is almost always wind in the spring on larger lakes it is just no fun fighting the waves. Well, I traded up to the Mako 18LTS and whoa. The mako takes the waves and fishes great. Also took the grandkids tubing. Get the best electronics you can afford and I agree to the early post about 80 lb thrust trolling motor. I am guessing you are a crappie fisherman and you really should look long and hard at getting a trolling motor that has spot lock; it is awesome for holding on a brush pile. If you can afford it, I would certainly recommend the MAKO; I've had mine for 3 months and just love it.

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: David Allen] #12339279 07/14/17 03:57 PM
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Did you purchase mako from bassbro

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12339300 07/14/17 04:06 PM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
I like fiberglass, and I like center consoles, you should go with as big as you can afford, and put the biggest motor you can for that model. youll want the biggest trolling motor you can afford as well. Bigger is better with Texas boats. A 20' center console is as small as I would go in Texas and You'll thank yourself later if you step up to a 22' or a 24' a 225 is what I'd want on a 22' and a 250-300 on a 24'. I like 2 stroke motors, less moving parts, less long term maintenance, cheaper to fix if it breaks.

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12339442 07/14/17 05:21 PM
David Allen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Yes, the Tracker dealer in Tyler, Tx.

Re: New boat purchase! Mako or Tracker? [Re: The Crappie Detective] #12340799 07/15/17 01:26 PM
F
FishTheBite Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I am very happy with my Tracker ProGuide V175 with a Merc 115 Fourstroke. To many people associate Tracker with aluminum bass boats. They have a great line of deep v multi-species boats. This style of boat has been the standard in our northern states for decades. Judging from what I am seeing on our lakes here in Central Texas they are becoming quite popular around here too. They handle rough water extremely well. And have plenty of storage.

I went with the walk through configuration because I like it when my lady goes with me. It takes me less than ten minutes to remove or reinstall the left console. It stays out in the warmer months, goes in when its cold.

My perfect fishing boat would be about a foot longer welded aluminum deep v with tiller steer. I spend more time fishing than I do running. (My wife wouldn't go for that at this stage but she is beginning to catch the fever.)

The comment about the 80lb minimum on the trolling motor is dead on. If you go with a fiberglass boat above 17' imo you need even more power.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide