texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,749
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd #12332019 07/10/17 02:19 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
No affiliation, for starts, but I wanted to mention that Luther Cifers from YakAttack, sort of a design guru in the kayak industry, has gone into the business of creating some new kayaks. His first two will be shown at ICast 2017 and some early photos have been pre-released.

There will be a 10+ footer and a 12+ footer with pretty low pricing points.

One innovation is really cool. His team has designed some "standing pads" I suppose you'd call them on top of the gunwales sort of just left and right behind where the seat is. So, a nimble guy or gal can hop up and sight fish from an elevated surface. That, and though I haven't seen it, I read that one or the other of these vessels will have sort of a bass boat seat option so I suppose that might mean some sort of pedestal seat.

These paddlers are supposed to be super stable and pretty fast. It looks to me like their sort of bullet shape gives the kayak a nice sharp point to cut through the water, then a wider stern area for stability.

See below for some pics and details. Brad

Bonafide Kayaks

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12332167 07/10/17 03:27 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I'm looking forward to paddling one myself.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12332274 07/10/17 04:32 PM
C
Crankalot Offline
Angler
Angler
C
They sure are pretty

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12333632 07/11/17 05:28 AM
P
Palomar Knot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Looks badass! I would love to have one laugh

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12333665 07/11/17 08:51 AM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Id like to find out what their version of fast is. It does look stable.

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: christian myrick] #12333823 07/11/17 01:03 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: christian myrick

Christian, one article mentioned that it paddles at 2.5 to 3 mph at a, I think it said, moderate pace.

I think it debuts at ICAST today so we should know more soon.

Brad

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12334051 07/11/17 03:05 PM
B
BassFever Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
IMO they look a little like the Hobies or am I just blind?

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12334560 07/11/17 08:20 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Very similar to the Hobie Pro Angler yaks in dorsal view and layout. Convergent evolution. Different bow shape in lateral view.

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12334867 07/12/17 12:29 AM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Looks pretty good from the video.

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: christian myrick] #12336505 07/12/17 11:58 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: christian myrick

Similar to the Raptor's version of speed. (sorry, I couldn't resist)
I'll also add it doesn't appear to track too well in what few "paddling" clips there have been.

Originally Posted By: BassFever
IMO they look a little like the Hobies or am I just blind?

I was thinking WS ATAK.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12336987 07/13/17 11:26 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
The more I see videos of it, the more I think this is a niche kayak where Cifers really went out of his way to accommodate the stand-up angler, especially those who might want to sight fish/use push poles/fish skinny water. Almost all video talking points about the Bonafide come back to or relate to stability.

He gave up a lot and perhaps did so to secure a place in a crowded field of available kayaks.

Brad

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12337011 07/13/17 11:51 AM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brad R
The more I see videos of it, the more I think this is a niche kayak where Cifers really went out of his way to accommodate the stand-up angler, especially those who might want to sight fish/use push poles/fish skinny water. Almost all video talking points about the Bonafide come back to or relate to stability.

He gave up a lot and perhaps did so to secure a place in a crowded field of available kayaks.

Brad

What makes you think the kayak would only be good in skinny water? I agree, I think stability of this kayak is going to be a great characteristic of this boat. As I get older I'm finding myself looking a stable kayak that will not turtle as easy.

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Shaun Russell] #12337034 07/13/17 12:18 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell

Brad

What makes you think the kayak would only be good in skinny water? I agree, I think stability of this kayak is going to be a great characteristic of this boat. As I get older I'm finding myself looking a stable kayak that will not turtle as easy.

I think the trend is stability more than overall speed, and also the popularity of pedal power and trolling motors seem to be another major trend.
This kayak looks like it would be able to feature all those upgrades if he wanted to go that way.

Just one more cast!

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Brad R] #12337156 07/13/17 01:37 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Well, not only skinny water . . . but sort of best suited for it is what I am thinking. I could see this kayak in the flats fishing Florida.

It'd work in deep water, of course, but without a stock rudder, I wonder if it would track well, hold well, move well in wind and waves? It is pretty "low" so that would be in its favor for not catching broadside winds. Heavy waves might lap over its low profile. It sort of reminds me of some of the Wilderness yaks in that way.

Yep! Other than I guess tourny kayak fishing where one might want to race to a favorite spot to get there first, I think speed is greatly over-rated compared to other factors like stability. The Bonafide has super secondary stability but Cifers defined its initial or primary stability as "loose" I believe and I think he did this to improve paddling where a slight roll is preferred for a kayak to move with the strokes.

So far, I STILL haven't cruised along beside any other pedal model kayak in what I'd call sort of a cruising speed and noticed much difference in pace. I've pedaled right next to a PA 14 and we move at almost the same speed side by side. This means to me that for shapes common to fishing kayaks, hull speed is a great equalizer. Top ends do vary, but not so much just under normal power.

I think the Bonafide will catch some "shelf space" and sell just fine.

Brad

Re: Bonafide Kayaks for the paddling crowd [Re: Jimbo] #12337161 07/13/17 01:40 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell

Brad

I think the trend is stability more than overall speed, and also the popularity of pedal power and trolling motors seem to be another major trend.
This kayak looks like it would be able to feature all those upgrades if he wanted to go that way.

I spoke to people at I-Cast that have got paddle around in and are impressed with the tracking. I use to look down on motors and peddle drives. As I get old they are looking attractive! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide