Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: MilesHunter] #12328961 07/08/17 01:12 AM
S
SlabWhisperer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: MilesHunter
I've taken people fishing that I've met here on the forum and several people I've seen at the ramp. I always keep an eye out for people fishing with their kids on the bank. I've picked up several father/son, father/daughter, grandmother/grandson combos from the bank or at the marina. I usually have a couple extra rods with me just in case I pick someone up. I love the shocked look on their face when I ask them if they want to come fish with me. I usually have to tell them that I'm serious a couple times before they believe me.

Quick story from about a couple months ago...

I had been fishing for a couple hours already and was waiting at the marina to pick up my wife. While I'm tying up, a grandmother and her 10 year old grandson walked by on their way to fish at the crappie barge. I could tell that he was excited to be fishing but knew that there was not much action at the crappie barge recently. The grandmother smiled and said hello as they walked by. When my wife got there I told her about the two of them, and she already knew what I was going to ask her (she knows how much I love picking random people up to take fishing LOL). I walked over to where they were getting set up at the barge and asked the grandmother if they wanted to come with us. The boy looked at grandma, and after a few "are you serious?" she said absolutely. As soon as she said that the boy jumped out of his skin with excitement!! What I didn't realize is that the boy was autistic. He didn't have a male role model that would do things with him so it was always up to grandma to take him to do boy stuff, such as fishing. I have always had a place in my heart for mentally and physically disabled children and was so blessed for our paths to have crossed that day. We had a great day, caught some fish, he drove the boat some, and my wife and his grandmother talked and took pictures. When it was time to go, the boy walked up to me and gave me a big hug. His grandmother immediately began crying. When he started to walk away his grandmother stopped and thanked my wife and I again and told us that he had never hugged a man before. Ever.

We took the two of them out fishing with us again just a couple weeks ago. The fishing was a little slow but we all had a blast, and I got my hug again. That little boy has been an amazing blessing to me. And I think I was able to give a little back to him as well. You just never know when or how you are going to impact someone's life. You just have to keep your eyes open for the opportunity.

There will be a special place in Heaven reserved for people like you!
Respect!

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12328992 07/08/17 01:35 AM
B
BrazosRiverTom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Great story Miles, thanks for sharing.

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: MilesHunter] #12329041 07/08/17 02:02 AM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I would have no problem taking a stranger fishing. Especially if I met them on a trusted forum such as TFF or TBH. I've been a single dad since October 31st 2003. My only child is away at college now. She and I still make a trip every once in a while. But, I'm always looking for someone to go with me. I have a couple of friends that go with me and we trade saltwater trips for crappie trips. I only saltwater fish in the winter months simply because I am afraid of contracting Vibrio Vulnificus. I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for 43 years and take an immunosuppressant prescription for rheumatoid arthritis. So, with those two strikes against me I stay out of the saltwater. It's just not worth it. So, if anybody is ever down in the Victoria area and wants to chase some crappie let me know. The two lakes I fish are not what I would call "limit" lakes but fish can be caught.

I've taken people fishing that I've met here on the forum and several people I've seen at the ramp. I always keep an eye out for people fishing with their kids on the bank. I've picked up several father/son, father/daughter, grandmother/grandson combos from the bank or at the marina. I usually have a couple extra rods with me just in case I pick someone up. I love the shocked look on their face when I ask them if they want to come fish with me. I usually have to tell them that I'm serious a couple times before they believe me.

I had been fishing for a couple hours already and was waiting at the marina to pick up my wife. While I'm tying up, a grandmother and her 10 year old grandson walked by on their way to fish at the crappie barge. I could tell that he was excited to be fishing but knew that there was not much action at the crappie barge recently. The grandmother smiled and said hello as they walked by. When my wife got there I told her about the two of them, and she already knew what I was going to ask her (she knows how much I love picking random people up to take fishing LOL). I walked over to where they were getting set up at the barge and asked the grandmother if they wanted to come with us. The boy looked at grandma, and after a few "are you serious?" she said absolutely. As soon as she said that the boy jumped out of his skin with excitement!! What I didn't realize is that the boy was autistic. He didn't have a male role model that would do things with him so it was always up to grandma to take him to do boy stuff, such as fishing. I have always had a place in my heart for mentally and physically disabled children and was so blessed for our paths to have crossed that day. We had a great day, caught some fish, he drove the boat some, and my wife and his grandmother talked and took pictures. When it was time to go, the boy walked up to me and gave me a big hug. His grandmother immediately began crying. When he started to walk away his grandmother stopped and thanked my wife and I again and told us that he had never hugged a man before. Ever.

We took the two of them out fishing with us again just a couple weeks ago. The fishing was a little slow but we all had a blast, and I got my hug again. That little boy has been an amazing blessing to me. And I think I was able to give a little back to him as well. You just never know when or how you are going to impact someone's life. You just have to keep your eyes open for the opportunity.

My allergies kicked in a little as I read this post. Thanks for sharing.

As I was outside a while ago my neighbor and his wife were headed out for dinner. We started talking and his daughter and grandson just moved here a couple weeks ago. The grandson is 14 and his dad passed away a couple years ago. Grandpa asked me if I would like to take the young man fishing and I said you bet I would. We talked a little more and the young man lived in Florida at one time and he and his dad would fish quite often. So, in a couple weeks the young man and I have a date with some crappie.

>E

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12329334 07/08/17 07:01 AM
scruboak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Well Sir Jet didn't get jacked, but we did have a blast and even managed a few keepers off of Joe Pool..

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12329342 07/08/17 08:55 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Me: Honey I met someone online
Wife: WHO THE H@LL IS SHE!!!!
Me: It's not a she it's a he
Wife faints.......

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12329474 07/08/17 01:24 PM
T
txshotgun Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Sirjet
I have never given up on people. I will give anyone a chance. until you do me wrong. At that point i keep it moving.

Nice to see someone else with that philosophy. Salute.

Recycle! Become an organ donor!

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: MilesHunter] #12329487 07/08/17 01:34 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S

thumbAwesome!!!

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12329878 07/08/17 07:19 PM
E
Epic Offline
Angler
Angler
E
This site is where I met one of my best friends. I pm'd where's my Bobber and asked if I could join her and Jiggen El for my first tube fishing. That day a big storm came in and WMB waited it out in the bait store.

I don't think we ended up catching anything that day but we became fast friends. I even ended up being a groomsman in her wedding.

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: MilesHunter] #12330072 07/08/17 10:21 PM
S
SGT BALLARD Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S

You set one awesome example of what life should be. A great story, I can tell you are one Blessed man/family. Keep doing what you do, the world needs more people like you...

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12330448 07/09/17 02:58 AM
S
Sirjet Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
tmd11111 now that was funny.

Well I met Scruboak for the first time on last night. I think we hit it off very well. Caught a few keepers. But I enjoyed the thump of that jig. Cauth a bunch of 9.75 inch fish. But it was a blast.

Marine 4 Life
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

"#1 God #2 Family #3 Fishing #4 Fishing #5 Fishing
JET

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12331430 07/10/17 12:30 AM
S
Sirjet Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I am always open to meet new people. It reminds me that this world is not as ba as it seems sometimes.

Marine 4 Life

JET

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12331733 07/10/17 05:38 AM
scruboak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
After our trip and what we learned I'm working on something to test.

Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12332193 07/10/17 03:39 PM
S
Scotty B Fishin' Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I've fished with strangers from the forum, but I had to pay them to take me out! On the plus side, they did clean the fish! There are some great guides on here.

Hebrew 12:1b let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Re: Fishing With A Unknown Person [Re: Sirjet] #12332199 07/10/17 03:43 PM
S
Sirjet Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I also have paid top play. but every now and then you find someone that happens to be at the same place you are or are going to be.

Marine 4 Life

JET

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide