794621 Topics
10044134 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12301759 - 06/19/17 07:39 PM Jetty & Pier Trip - July
Matt AKfishco Offline
Green Horn

Loc: East TX
So I'm thinking about loading my boys up next month and taking them on a serious "fish hard, sleep a little, eat, do nothing else" trip next month. They're 14 & 16 and both are good anglers (and after our Key West trip earlier this month aren't ready to resign themselves to the bass and catfish of East Texas). I was considering making the haul to Port Aransas and fishing the jetties and pier there one day, moving down to Packery the next day, and maybe, if I'm feeling adventurous, taking the plunge and driving all the way down to South Padre to finish it off. Ideally, I want a shot (multiple shots) at tarpon, but we're all perfectly happy with reds, jacks, sharks, smacks, ladyfish, snappers and whatever else wants to pull. Probably leave here on a Wednesday, and fish Thu/Fri/Sat...early morning Sun, then take the long haul home.

Plan is to bring Penn Mariner MH rod w/Clash 8000 (400 yards of 50lb power pro) for bigger fish and for fishing bottom, and a Medium action rod and with 20lb line for tossing lures. I haven't been south of Port A in probably 25 years though, so it's kind of crapshoot for me. I'm looking for any suggestions on other spots (no 4WD and no boat sadly) we might want to hit, bait shop recommendations, tips, tricks, and maybe the name of a good, clean, cheap hotel in the Aransas area.

I appreciate any info you guys are kind enough to share. Looking forward to some time with my boys and some time in the salt.

Thanks,

Matt

#12302176 - 06/20/17 06:23 AM Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco]
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Weatherford
I wasn't sure if you needed info on mustang island or just South Padre. Here is mustang. I haven't stayed at any of the hotels in Aransas pass but I know there is one less expensive one on 361 ( airline inn or some aviation name). For fishing the north end of the island Woody's bait in AP on the road to the ferry.. There's an IGA grocery store in AP, Whataburger, dairy Queen and Subway. The rest are sit down restaurants. For good seafood there's Fins. They will cook your catch for you as well.

As far as fishing you will need a beach pass for anyplace but the jetties or pier. Any convenience store has them for 10. The beach down to probably beach access 2 is usually covered up in swimmers, partiers and bathers but you can fish it early and late. I would choose bob hall pier over Horace Caldwell. On the south end of mustang and north Padre, all the better bait shops are in flour bluff, accross the bridge. Bait barn is good, there are several others just off the bridge. Red dot comes to mind. Check the tides and fish packery when there is movement. The first 6 miles of PINS is 2wd. After that it is 4wd. Hope this is new info and not redundant. Good luck.

I fish on a 14 ft piece of plastic.

#12302179 - 06/20/17 06:24 AM Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco]
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Weatherford
Forgot. There's also a Domino's pizza.

I fish on a 14 ft piece of plastic.

#12306085 - Yesterday at 09:31 AM Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: jnd59]
Matt AKfishco Offline
Green Horn

Loc: East TX
Awesome, I appreciate the information very much. I've got a Subaru Crosstrek...It's AWD but doesn't have a ton of ground clearance, so I'm not sure how brave I'll be on the beach. Probably play it safe and stick to the jetties and piers. Planning on freelining live shrimp, soaking cut bait, maybe live croaker on bottom, and throwing some big silver spoons. That sound about right?

#12307620 - Yesterday at 11:17 PM Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco]
Ledeez Online   content
Pro Angler

Loc: Lake lavon
Yep

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide