Angler
Angler
C

Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: 9094] #12300313 06/19/17 04:17 AM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Have found a couple of different reports on the subject. This one seems credible to me:

http://meetingdocs.alachuacounty.us/docu...f459deec025.pdf

In it, it states that typical airboat noise levels range from 95db to 110db from 50 feet away - this is probably farther away than the scenario that the OP is talking about.

According to your chart, exposure to those sound levels for just 2 to 4 minutes can cause permanent hearing loss. I do agree that airboats can be modified to run with lower noise levels, and perhaps they need to be if they're going to operate around other people.

Originally Posted By: 9094
Here is the exposure table for damage to noise.
Notice at 91 it takes 2 hours. And to answer your last question. No I do not believe that there should be a law or regulation to force airboats to be quieter. The airboat user and passengers are the only people that might incur hearing damage and everyone I have ever observed had hearing protection on.
Your comment about even short exposures cause damage is your opinion but not fact. Read all you want but minute exposure does not cause hearing damage.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: steveiam] #12300416 06/19/17 11:47 AM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: steveiam
This reminds me of people who buy a house close to an airport and then Complain about the airplanes-

More appropriate would be an airport built near your house, long after you bought it. I've lived on this river for 46 years, and 30 or so of them were before the airboat invasion.

But that's not my point. I've grown used to airboats, I don't mind most of them. I can see what a blast they are to zip up and down the river on. The airboaters have as much right to the river as I do.

What I do not like is that many of them are obnoxiously louder than they need to be. Some of them, not all of them, some of them are so loud they actually hurt your ears when they go by.

Many have said on here to get earplugs - I am of the opinion that I should not need to wear ear plugs when I'm out fishing - rather those airboaters need to make the modifications that other airboaters have made and quieten those machines down to a reasonable level. And it can be done - there are definitely airboats that go by that are not pain inducing obnoxiously loud. They aren't exactly stealthy mind you - but they are within a reasonable sound range for what they are and for what they can be.

And yet the moment I said the airboaters should be quieter the boo birds came out to tell me I'm wrong for wanting the airboaters to quieten their machines down, that I should just live with it and start wearing ear plugs when I go fishing. Then they tell me that since they all say I'm wrong, I must be wrong because I guess I've been out-voted or something.

Well folks it doesn't work that way. What I am saying is right. What those too-loud airboaters are doing is wrong. Those that support those too-loud airboaters are also wrong.

Last edited by Lloyd5; 06/19/17 11:48 AM.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300422 06/19/17 11:57 AM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Lloyd5
This reminds me of people who buy a house close to an airport and then Complain about the airplanes-

More appropriate would be an airport built near your house, long after you bought it. I've lived on this river for 46 years, and 30 or so of them were before the airboat invasion.

But that's not my point. I've grown used to airboats, I don't mind most of them. I can see what a blast they are to zip up and down the river on. The airboaters have as much right to the river as I do.

What I do not like is that many of them are obnoxiously louder than they need to be. Some of them, not all of them, some of them are so loud they actually hurt your ears when they go by.

Many have said on here to get earplugs - I am of the opinion that I should not need to wear ear plugs when I'm out fishing - rather those airboaters need to make the modifications that other airboaters have made and quieten those machines down to a reasonable level. And it can be done - there are definitely airboats that go by that are not pain inducing obnoxiously loud. They aren't exactly stealthy mind you - but they are within a reasonable sound range for what they are and for what they can be.

And yet the moment I said the airboaters should be quieter the boo birds came out to tell me I'm wrong for wanting the airboaters to quieten their machines down, that I should just live with it and start wearing ear plugs when I go fishing. Then they tell me that since they all say I'm wrong, I must be wrong because I guess I've been out-voted or something.

Well folks it doesn't work that way. What I am saying is right. What those too-loud airboaters are doing is wrong. Those that support those too-loud airboaters are also wrong.

All that is merely an opinion.

Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300464 06/19/17 12:30 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I'd like to see the use of airboats outlawed on public water from sundown to sun up. They're obnoxious and so are most of the bubbas running them.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: TCK73] #12300480 06/19/17 12:36 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: TCK73
Originally Posted By: Lloyd5

All that is merely an opinion.

No, it is not merely an opinion - it is fact based on actual experience.

Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300516 06/19/17 01:07 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
No, it's your opinion and you are in the minority. There's an easy solution that has been given numerous times to you but you would rather keep arguing that you have no responsibility to protect your own hearing. If you truly believe that this is horrible then why not use your time to contact your representatives and have a law passed instead of repeating a couple of lines over and over here? If you are in an area known to have all of this high noise problems and until something is done to legally stop it, you fail to use protection then it does not sound as if a true problem exists.

Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300529 06/19/17 01:14 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I'll guarantee you he is not in the minority. I have a place on Lake Fork. If you polled the homeowners/renters on Fork, the overwhelming majority would vote to outlaw airboats on the lake at night.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300561 06/19/17 01:30 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Heard the neighbor headed to work on his Harley this morning at 4:30 and thought about this thread. Sitting there thinking I should be MAD, he's being an obnoxious jerk, and how if I wasn't such a "coward" (as Lloyd says) I'd tell him he to put mufflers on it or stop riding it, literally made me laugh out loud. In the kitchen alone, making coffee, at 4:30am, laughing loudly with no one to share the joke. Thanks for the laughs Lloyd.

I'll get behind the idea that they shouldn't run airboats at night up and down the river in front of your house or only in designated areas at certain hours, but telling them to buy modifications for their boat to appease you is ridiculous. You are a writer so you know the definition of "opinion". The things you are saying are not facts just because you claim they are, they are opinions and nothing more.
Airboats are too loud-opinion
They should modify them to make them quite-opinion
People running them are obnoxious-opinion
They can cause hearing damage is the only FACT in this thread.

Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300576 06/19/17 01:42 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Sasquatches don't live in Louisiana anymore. They couldn't stand the noise from air boats.
I know this because I had one tell me about it. Said people couldn't even hear them scream at night because of the air boat noise. Said they were all moving up to Colorado where than can get free medical marijuana.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300581 06/19/17 01:47 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
At the moment, you have two choices

1. Buy earplugs.
2. Find another place to fish.

Until a law is passed, air boaters will continue to produce ear damaging noise and there is nothing you can do to change that fact.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300584 06/19/17 01:48 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Shared resources ain't they fun! I bet they think you should not be wading in their navigable waters. This is beyond dumb, and such an easy fix. buy a cheap set of ear muffs and learn to get along.

Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: Lloyd5] #12300737 06/19/17 03:13 PM
G
G Love Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Hmmmm.

I've spent thousands of hours on an airboat without wearing hearing protection. I hear just fine.

You just don't like airboats. Like many yuppie's I've ran across.

We never messed with anyone, yet, I've had lights shined in my eyes, lasers, attempted swamping, authorities called for shooting arrows in the water, and yes- shot at.

Guess we were in the wrong, huh?

Last time I checked, this is still a free country.

The only way to get up the Brazos River is by airboat or jet drive. No one is here to please everyone.

If you don't like airplanes, don't live next to a runway.

No one says a word when a twin 502 speed boat is racing across a lake throwin beer cans out the back, but when a guy in an airboat comes along and picks them up, everyone hates him. That's a true story.

Get yourself ear muffs, Nancy. And some Downy paper towels.

__

Oh, and an "airboat invasion" is BS. 46 years of living on the river, then you know that's BS. They have ALWAYS been there.

Also, the reason I found this thread is because an Airboat owner just shared this on Facebook.

So, all the airboaters just saw this.

Congratulations. You better get some ear plugs.

Last edited by G Love; 06/19/17 03:19 PM.
Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: G Love] #12300769 06/19/17 03:22 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: G Love

Also, the reason I found this thread is because an Airboat owner just shared this on Facebook.

What, all 500 of them?

Re: Air Boat Noise [Re: G Love] #12300804 06/19/17 03:36 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: G Love
Hmmmm.

I've spent thousands of hours on an airboat without wearing hearing protection. I hear just fine.

You just don't like airboats. Like many yuppie's I've ran across.

We never messed with anyone, yet, I've had lights shined in my eyes, lasers, attempted swamping, authorities called for shooting arrows in the water, and yes- shot at.

Guess we were in the wrong, huh?

Last time I checked, this is still a free country.

The only way to get up the Brazos River is by airboat or jet drive. No one is here to please everyone.

If you don't like airplanes, don't live next to a runway.

No one says a word when a twin 502 speed boat is racing across a lake throwin beer cans out the back, but when a guy in an airboat comes along and picks them up, everyone hates him. That's a true story.

Get yourself ear muffs, Nancy. And some Downy paper towels.

__

Oh, and an "airboat invasion" is BS. 46 years of living on the river, then you know that's BS. They have ALWAYS been there.

Congratulations. You better get some ear plugs.

If you, sir, are typical of airboaters then you've certainly made my point. Thank you!

But then I do actually know several airboaters and they are nothing like you, you are not typical of the one's I've met and talked with.

Last edited by Lloyd5; 06/19/17 03:40 PM.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide