Print Thread
What's the best minnow rig for crappie? #12290160 06/12/17 06:00 PM
T
Toes-in-tha-water Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I'm pretty new to crappie fishing. What's the best way to rig a line with a minnow? We have been putting a hook about a foot below 2 split shots (1/8-1/4 oz. each) to catch fish @ ~15' depth. It seems difficult to feel the bite this way, and the 10lb floro I've been using always wraps up on the darn split shots. How do you guys do it?

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12290394 06/12/17 08:02 PM
P
phrito Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I'm sure there are as many answers and opinions on this as you can imagine, but always good to hear what others find works for them and learn a thing or two. I'm certainly no expert so I'd be interested to see what is said. I think 10lb is a bit of an overkill, but I'm not a big fan of fluoro anyway. I personally use 6lb mono on a light to ultra light rod, helps with those finicky bites. My absolute favorite crappie rods are some ultralight 5 foot rods and spinning reels with 4-6lb mono. That'll make a good keeper crappie feel like you're doing something! If I'm fishing a pier or dock I'm on or a pile in calm water I like your setup except I'd always go with the lightest weight you can get away with to get the bait to the bottom. In stronger winds or drifting you may need more weight. If I'm feeling froggy then I'll use one of the pre-made double rigs or drifting rig with 2 hooks. But the basic concept is still bait below weight when I'm fishing vertical.

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12290416 06/12/17 08:17 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
That is how I fish with just straight minnows when I do but it doesn't for everyone. First of all, I would go down to 6 lb high vis line. You have to be a line watcher when fishing for crappie and especially with minnows. The line will go slack or just start swimming off and you will never feel it. Secondly, try putting a weight below the hook about 2 ft or so (like a drop shot in bass fishing). This will allow more sensitivity as the minnow is more restricted and not swimming freely as the split shot above methods so there isn't as much "shock" between getting bit and feeling the bite. I hope this helps.

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12290442 06/12/17 08:39 PM
F
Finaddict Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Best way to use a minner is put it on plastic with jig. http://constantpursuitoutfitters.com/plastics/

You know you are a fishaholic if you have more rods than your wife has shoes!

www.g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning
www.sscrapiejigs.com
www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com
www.chriswebbsfishing.com
www.fishingftworth.com

Survived Vietnam TET offensive 1968, 100% disabled compliments of Agent Orange.
NO regrets.....
Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12290631 06/12/17 10:39 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I like the weight below the hook, I use a 3/16 oz bell weight tied on the bottom, about 18" up from the weight I
tie on a thin wire #2 hook on a small loop, about a 1 1/2" to 2" loop.
This does a couple things for me, it lets the hook dangle naturally and lets the minnow move around.
Also with the weight on the bottom I can slowly lower my line into a brush pile with out the hook getting hung up as much, when you feel the weight touch or go slack stop lowering. If you touch the bottom you know you are 18" from the bottom, I'll some times drop the slack in my line from there and bounce the minnow about 2-3 inches, like the minnow is dying, dead stick the minnow for a few seconds, and repeat. Also I try start at the bottom
15 seconds, bounce, bounce,...then one turn up and dead stick,...one turn up and dead stick, go up maybe 5-6 feet and stop. next lift slowly, check bait and move the rod 2-3 feet right or left and repeat.
I use about a 8-10 foot Trilene 10-12 mono leader on 20 pound yellow braid. Yellow lets you see the bites that are up-bites, where the line goes slack. jim

fish

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: JIM SR.] #12290637 06/12/17 10:44 PM
P
phrito Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
I like the weight below the hook, I use a 3/16 oz bell weight tied on the bottom, about 18" up from the weight I tie on a thin wire #2 hook on a small loop, about a 1 1/2" to 2" loop.
This does a couple things for me, it lets the hook dangle naturally and lets the minnow move around.
Also with the weight on the bottom I can slowly lower my line into a brush pile with out the hook getting hung up as much, when you feel the weight touch or go slack stop lowering.

Good info!

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12290667 06/12/17 11:00 PM
J
JigandJeep Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
If you're not as worried about getting hung up you can use a double rig. Top is a #2 light wire aberdeen hook with a loop knot. Bottom is a 1/8th jig head (everyone loves pink) with a #2 hook. This accomplishes the same thing as the drop shot, but gives you another bait that you can switch to a jig if anytime you want. It has its obvious draw backs including managing to hook a fish only to have the second hook get hung up. That can be pretty frustrating.

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: JIM SR.] #12290773 06/13/17 12:18 AM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
I like the weight below the hook, I use a 3/16 oz bell weight tied on the bottom, about 18" up from the weight I
tie on a thin wire #2 hook on a small loop, about a 1 1/2" to 2" loop.
Also with the weight on the bottom I can slowly lower my line into a brush pile with out the hook getting hung up as much, when you feel the weight touch or go slack stop lowering. If you touch the bottom you know you are 18" from the bottom, I'll some times drop the slack in my line from there and bounce the minnow about 2-3 inches, like the minnow is dying, dead stick the minnow for a few seconds, and repeat. Also I try start at the bottom
15 seconds, bounce, bounce,...then one turn up and dead stick,...one turn up and dead stick, go up maybe 5-6 feet and stop. next lift slowly, check bait and move the rod 2-3 feet right or left and repeat.
I use about a 8-10 foot Trilene 10-12 mono leader on 20 pound yellow braid. Yellow lets you see the bites that are up-bites, where the line goes slack. jim

fish

This is basically the same method I use. Only thing I do differently is my loop is usually 10-12" up. Sometimes I will tie the loop even smaller, 1" or so. My opinion is that crappie are notoriously lazy fish and many times they don't like to chase their food very far. The shorter loop allows the minnow to swim naturally but not in a big area. Also, the shorter loop keeps the minnow from being able to hang up as frequently in heavy cover. I have a friend that ties his loop 4-6" long and is continually fighting hang ups and seems to struggle when the fish aren't feeding as aggressively. I've tried to explain to him why, but he is a stubborn Bohemian. yawn If it's terribly windy or I have an inexperienced fisherman on the boat I will go to a 1/4 oz weight. It helps with the hang ups and keeps the line tighter which I believe helps them detect the lighter bites.

Since our trip with Mark I will also start using a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig head with a #1 or 2 sickle hook. This youtube video shows another rig that Mark uses when it gets hot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOb6NPZWKJg I haven't really tried it much but have tried the rig with split shot above the hook and I just can't seem to detect the bite as easily as with the drop shot style rig. Each person is different with their style. My suggestion is to try different riggings and determine which one you have the most confidence in.

Also, I hook the minnow through the lips 99.9% of the time. One other thing I do is once I know what depth the fish are at on a particular lake I take a red permanent marker and put about a 3-5 in mark on the line at that depth. It really helps beginners get to the same strike zone on a consistent basis. Some people will use bobber stops set at the depth. This allows them to change easily if the fish move to feeding at a different depth.

>E

Last edited by canyoncreek06; 06/13/17 12:23 AM.

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12291111 06/13/17 03:22 AM
B
bowfin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I'm going to try all those methods if I can find a nice brush pile.
Good info

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12291858 06/13/17 04:54 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Here's what I found that works pretty well:

1. Run your line through a 3/4 oz egg sinker.
2. Terminate your mono or braid with a barrel swivel.
3. Tie a 18 - 24 inch 10 lb test fluorocarbon leader on.
4. terminate the end of the leader with a number 4 Gamakatsu octopus hook.

You can hook the minnow through the lips and actively fish it. I drop it to the bottom and reel it up three cranks. Then hold it at that spot for 10 seconds or so then bring it up a crank. Bring the minnow all the way to the surface like this. I usually get the bite when its moving. Pay attention as you get to the surface, as I've had some big largemouth take the minnow just as I was pulling it out of the water. Dead minnows work well fished like this.

If you are getting too many bait stealing bites, switch your hook to an Eagle Claw lazersharp number 4 perch hook. Most of the time the culprit is a bluegill that cannot get the Gamakatsu in its mouth.

If you want to fish jigs with a minnow, hook a minnow through the lips and pitch the jig out and let it arch back to you. You can also fish it like the minnow, but when Crappie are deep I ditch the jig and just use the minnow.

Good luck.

Last edited by PKfishin; 06/13/17 04:56 PM.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12291871 06/13/17 05:04 PM
B
BrazosRiverTom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
This is the best, hands down, crappie rig going for minnows.
Click HERE to watch the video.

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12293809 06/14/17 05:14 PM
T
Toes-in-tha-water Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks all! I went out and bought an array of new weights and hooks yesterday so I can try all these methods next time I'm out. Oh, I also picked up an electric fillet knife for preparing all the fish tacos I'll be cooking up. food

Re: What's the best minnow rig for crappie? [Re: Toes-in-tha-water] #12293985 06/14/17 06:47 PM
D
Dadsthatlove2fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I use a #2 split shot pinched about 10 inches up and a Aberdeen light wire hook #4 or #2 size. Seems to work good, you could use a double rig with no weight seems to work for me also. My double right is like this...I do a loop knot about 12 inches up tie a loop knot with a jig and then put the Aberdeen #2 or #4 hook with a minnow on the end so when the minnow is swimming around at the end its making the jig above it on the loop knot move as well so its 2 different options. This way you dont need a weight, your weight is the 1/16 oz or 1/8 oz jig above the minnow. I did that rig the last 3 times out and this last time got 19 keeps 17 off the minnow and 2 off the jig.

Last edited by Dadsthatlove2fish; 06/14/17 06:58 PM.

God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Genesis 1:28
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide