Forums59
Topics1,038,947
Posts13,956,194
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: ChuChu1] #12295082 06/15/17 07:39 AM
I
I love fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
It's probably from all the flood we had the last two years that caused the spread.

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: ChuChu1] #12295145 06/15/17 11:35 AM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I wonder if the south Texas heat will make them grow 10 times their size? bolt

Just one more cast!

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: ChuChu1] #12295159 06/15/17 11:49 AM
L
Lloyd5 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
The best way to get rid of them is a really good recipe. Come up with that and they disappear quickly.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: Lloyd5] #12295187 06/15/17 12:14 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: Lloyd5
The best way to get rid of them is a really good recipe. Come up with that and they disappear quickly.

The ones I have seen have been very small, about half the size of a fingernail or smaller. That was in Texoma a few years ago.

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: ChuChu1] #12295232 06/15/17 12:44 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
We just need more blue cats. Blues love the things. All the cold weather blues I have taken out of RayBob had a belly full of the things. I learned to not put them big blues in my live well. What a mess! Ruined a pump and diverter valve.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: ChuChu1] #12295239 06/15/17 12:47 PM
T
texasflycaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I have fished Kiowa plenty in the recent past, and spend a lot of time on Ray Roberts. So if birds are transporting zebra mussels, why aren't they in Kiowa? I mean, birds fly both directions, right? Honestly, I have never seen a scientific document on transport by waterfowl - but maybe I missed it. I DID SEE a recent quote from a TPWD biologist that states clearly that black drum and buffalo are eating the zebra mussels. It goes on to state that they are digested by the drum and not by the buffalo. Interesting? Here is a shortlink to a bunch of articles I have run and written on zeebs over the years - http://bit.ly/2tpYHO1 - if you want to be overloaded.

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: I love fishing] #12295252 06/15/17 12:58 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: I love fishing
It's probably from all the flood we had the last two years that caused the spread.

Floods spread the mussels within that river system, but it is impossible for a flood on one river system to spread them to another river system.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: ChuChu1] #12295432 06/15/17 02:30 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Yep, no place they could have gotten into canyon from other than a boat. I wonder how the corps of engineers feel about this, since canyon is a bottom draw dam release lake.

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: ChuChu1] #12295458 06/15/17 02:44 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
They will be in every major body of water here in the next 10 years. No way to stop them.

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: texasflycaster] #12295477 06/15/17 02:53 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: texasflycaster
I have fished Kiowa plenty in the recent past, and spend a lot of time on Ray Roberts. So if birds are transporting zebra mussels, why aren't they in Kiowa? I mean, birds fly both directions, right? Honestly, I have never seen a scientific document on transport by waterfowl - but maybe I missed it. I DID SEE a recent quote from a TPWD biologist that states clearly that black drum and buffalo are eating the zebra mussels. It goes on to state that they are digested by the drum and not by the buffalo. Interesting? Here is a shortlink to a bunch of articles I have run and written on zeebs over the years - http://bit.ly/2tpYHO1 - if you want to be overloaded.

If birds don't transport them then how did they get in Dean Gilbert lake in Shrerman? It has no boat ramp and is within 15 miles of Texoma.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: texasflycaster] #12295687 06/15/17 04:58 PM
C
C.M. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I have fished Kiowa plenty in the recent past, and spend a lot of time on Ray Roberts. So if birds are transporting zebra mussels, why aren't they in Kiowa?

I imagine because birds transport only few of them with relatively low probability of surviving. For those that do survive -- it will take many years before they build a population that you could notice. And there are chances that population will not survive.

I bet they are already in all or most water bodies, we just haven't noticed them.

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: texasflycaster] #12295757 06/15/17 05:40 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M

My brother owns a house there so I know from him that the lake has been treated. The POA there spends a lot of money managing the fish.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: C.M.] #12295760 06/15/17 05:42 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: C.M.
I have fished Kiowa plenty in the recent past, and spend a lot of time on Ray Roberts. So if birds are transporting zebra mussels, why aren't they in Kiowa?

I imagine because birds transport only few of them with relatively low probability of surviving. For those that do survive -- it will take many years before they build a population that you could notice. And there are chances that population will not survive.

I bet they are already in all or most water bodies, we just haven't noticed them.

I remember when my uncle had a new stock tank dug and a year later it had mudcat and perch in it and nobody put them in there. Unless it rained fish the only other way they got there was by birds.

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: Chris B] #12295776 06/15/17 05:51 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: Chris B

If birds don't transport them then how did they get in Dean Gilbert lake in Shrerman? It has no boat ramp and is within 15 miles of Texoma.

TPWD sure never plastered that all over Facebook or their website did they? I just looked it up, first time I heard that.

Re: Zebra mussels now in the Guadalupe River system [Re: Muzzlebrake] #12295846 06/15/17 06:27 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake

My brother owns a house there so I know from him that the lake has been treated. The POA there spends a lot of money managing the fish.

What was it treated with to kill zebra mussels? This is the first I've heard. So are you saying it had them?

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide