Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales #12289074 06/12/17 12:37 AM
K.D. Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
So what was working for you at Fork? I had to work and couldn't make it.

Let's here some fish stories!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289108 06/12/17 12:51 AM
C
COHLMEYER Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
my story is the fishing sucked.... for us.

Lots of short fish, under "unders", 14" or less, scrawny post spawners.
Fished shallow in the morning and offshore after 10. Couldn't find big fish. First trip out there this time of year where we didn't catch a mess of slot fish either. As usual most folks caught them, talked to a guy who had 5 22" fish in one day and was mad about it... I would have loved to have those, actually happy to have one of them.

Had a good time on the water only a few bad encounters, including guys running at 5:45 am with ZERO lights on, passing several boats with 2-3 guys onboard and not a single life jacket, and a guy run right over our lines while fishing offshore. Clueless. Most were very courteous, lots of good looking boats driving the boat lanes.

Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289182 06/12/17 01:35 AM
D
dobbin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Lock Jaw was the name of the game for us. Tried to hide from the wind went to dinner table and there was 30 boats there all fishing scattered around the area. Thought we were at the boat races several times and boats speeding everywhere. There was a bass boat pulling a tube with a child on the tube right down the boat lane is open water...Here's your sign!!!!
Met new friends at the camp site sharing stores and information on other lakes on up coming tournaments. Spite the lock jaw fish a good time was had by all..

Champion Jigs
Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289219 06/12/17 01:53 AM
TX Rig Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
This picture I took of our cheering section waiting to pick our bones clean tells you all you need to know about our tournament results.

Tx Rig-Stats
Bassmasters Lunker Club 10.5# 3/08
Mad Dog 1st HS/BB 9.25# 9/08
DPT 2nd HS 15.5# 3/10
JCO 1st HS/BB 8.25# 6/10
LFBB BB 8.25# 6/10
DPT 4th HS 22.9# 3/2011
DPT 3rd HS 22.27# 4/14
DPT 4th HS 11.43# 4/16
VFE 3rd HS 4.80# 8/16
DPT 1st HS 15.17# 4/17
DPT 3rd HS 13.63# 4/18
VFE 2nd HS 8.0# 4/18
VFE 3rd HS 8.77# 5/18
DPS 1st BB/HS 5/19
Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289233 06/12/17 02:00 AM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
As usual, Skeeter put on a great tournament.
Fishing was tough. I don't know if the gates were open but the fish sure acted like it. A lot of bits and not enough "hook ups"
Sunday around 9:30 in the morning, we found a creek bend with the"Christmas Tree" on it. All of the blips looked like good fish. First fish was a 7 1/2 on a CR so I stayed with it. Second fish was a 15 7/8" skinny bass that I at least weighed in and got to walked the stage. Second big fish came about five minutes later, two over 7 lbs. The bit was on for about thirty minutes then that was it. My buddy also lost a big fish at the boat that looked to be an "over". Fork is still good and with the last two great spawns, it should be good for a long time.
Note, I went over Saturday evening to eat some Bar BQ and some Skeeter beans. Everyone was laughing it up, talking loud and having fun until some young girl stepped up to the podium and started singing the National Anthem. Within ten seconds, everyone had stood up in silent respect.
That tells me that I am socializing with the right folks. It still "moves me" to see that response from so many people.
Also, Sunday morning, about ten minutes to six, some guy pulled up next to us as we were waiting for six so we could start. This guy was up in the bow looking at something in the water, I turned around to talk to my partner, and heard a big slash. The wind had blown him into a stump, and he was thrown overboard. He was okay but a little embarrassed. It's happened to me in past trips so be careful out there.
Lastly, One boat cut us off as we were fishing Saturday morning, speeding up to get 20 ft ahead of us on the shoreline, another came over and fishing right on top of us after he saw my partner lose a big 'un, and the third jack [censored], almost ran us over at full speed as we were idling under the 155 bridge.
Anyway, another great tournament by Skeeter.
Good luck to all

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289463 06/12/17 07:37 AM
R
Ryan Boykin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I was actually going to post this in the Skeeter Owner FB group but since it's here... It's amazing how when you have something as little in common as a love for fishing and boat brand preference, the difference in mutual respect. Everyone I came across on the water was super friendly. Communication went both way as far as sharing water with everyone being more than happy to do so. It almost seemed like a "fun" tourney for little or no money. Everybody was struggling but kept positive attitudes. I joked with every boat I fished near. Wish I was better with names. Now if I had lost the win by .01 ounce, my positive attitude would be put to the extreme test but the gentleman that did suffer that fate handled it WAY better than 99.9% would. Only had 2 boats cut RIGHT in front of me without saying a word and acting entitled and I won't dime out the group but they were both wearing the same jersey.If this thing keeps growing at this rate, they will have to move it down to SRA and spread it out a little more. I love LFM and always have, but the layout and parking just aren't capable to handle 2500+. Great weekend guys and makes work monday even worse than usual!

Last edited by Ryan Boykin; 06/12/17 07:38 AM.
Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: Ryan Boykin] #12289521 06/12/17 12:11 PM
F
Fork-LegendV21 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Ryan Boykin
I was actually going to post this in the Skeeter Owner FB group but since it's here... It's amazing how when you have something as little in common as a love for fishing and boat brand preference, the difference in mutual respect. Everyone I came across on the water was super friendly. Communication went both way as far as sharing water with everyone being more than happy to do so. It almost seemed like a "fun" tourney for little or no money. Everybody was struggling but kept positive attitudes. I joked with every boat I fished near. Wish I was better with names. Now if I had lost the win by .01 ounce, my positive attitude would be put to the extreme test but the gentleman that did suffer that fate handled it WAY better than 99.9% would. Only had 2 boats cut RIGHT in front of me without saying a word and acting entitled and I won't dime out the group but they were both wearing the same jersey.If this thing keeps growing at this rate, they will have to move it down to SRA and spread it out a little more. I love LFM and always have, but the layout and parking just aren't capable to handle 2500+. Great weekend guys and makes work monday even worse than usual!

I have always thought the same as to holding these bigger events at SRA. A lot more parking for truck and trailers and it would be a little safer for having things stolen while people are at the weigh in while their rigs are parked down the side of Hwy 17. The only little problem I see with the SRA is beaching boats off that point since there are tons of big rocks and stick ups.

As far as the tournament, I didn't fish it because I don't own a Skeeter, I have a different brand boat. But I live in Lands End in Little Caney and went down to my dock a couple times and saw 2 boats cut off another boat by fishing in between them and the bankline while the other boat was tied off to a tree 40' from bankline.. lol

Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289535 06/12/17 12:28 PM
R
RANDYSGLIDE Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I had a great time, a really great event. I even got a check, she missed on a frog then threw out a worm and she nailed it. Always heard about doing that, first time it worked. Lost my measuring board earlier and just used a tape measure real fast it showed 15 so good then put it on a cheap scale and it said 1.98 so was gonna throw it back. Decided to take it in to weigh I saw bigger fish so went back out and weighed it later wound up being 15 7/8 and 2.44 lbs. will be getting new scale and pro rule this week. Learned one thing watching there it's a good thing tape measures are the same( u like measuring boards) or there would be a lot of uneven house. I always though a inch was a inch

Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289619 06/12/17 01:30 PM
Tjbev13 Offline
Angler
Angler
Saw a guy leaving a wooded point, tried to power up twice and hit a stump both times. Don't know what he was thinking?

Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289639 06/12/17 01:44 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
It's gotten to big IMO. Not the same feel as in years past, crazy kids driving flat out not showing any regard for safety.. 2cents other than that mess, we caught some nice fish offshore, had one heart breaker 16.00009 that went 2.lb 14 oz gezzz.. 4 big slots 21-23 inches, nothing to brag about up shallow, all deep fish 27 total in a day an a half.. For the money it's still the best bang for the buck.. thumb but, it was my last one going forward...

Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289839 06/12/17 03:17 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It seemed most people were respectful, as so were we. I did blow by a lot of boats in the lanes. Nobody caught the I-class! We didn't catch a check casher, but had a ball catching fish. Prob caught 18-20 on Sunday, found some 15" schoolers but couldn't even get one to touch 2 lbs. We caught a total of 5 slots for the 2 days, mostly unders, which we were trying to target. All in all, fun Fork trip. Total fish for 2 days were around 30. Lake still sucks, though.....

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: Kay Dyson] #12289862 06/12/17 03:27 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
It's gotten to big IMO. Not the same feel as in years past, crazy kids driving flat out not showing any regard for safety.. 2cents other than that mess, we caught some nice fish offshore, had one heart breaker 16.00009 that went 2.lb 14 oz gezzz.. 4 big slots 21-23 inches, nothing to brag about up shallow, all deep fish 27 total in a day an a half.. For the money it's still the best bang for the buck.. thumb but, it was my last one going forward...

Kind of how I felt...did not feel safe out there....lots of jackazzes thinking they were going to fish a public hump by themselves - throwing baits at you as you are trying to work around them...just an ugly time really.

Safety talk - so morning one I take off at 4:45 am....slowly on pad, all my lights on, spot light and staying on the bouys...have a boat running the other way coming at me...literally the guy cuts straight across my bow no 30 yards in front of me with no warning...the guy took a hard left turn - I let off the gas and turned sharp left to avoid him. To me...that is not worth it going forwad.

We caught fish early both days just nothing to take to the scales - GREAT TO SEE YOU OUT THERE Dysons!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: K.D.] #12289882 06/12/17 03:37 PM
L
LakeForkGroupie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Rough weekend for us. Caught 1 slot fish and that was that. That wind made not catching fish a bit annoying. I still had several people troll right to where I was casting, like they wanted me to hit them, but they never crossed lines with us and were as respectful as we could be fishing on top of each other. Only so many main lake points to go around for 2350 people, likely some 1200 boats. I can't wait to go fish an non-pressured body of water that doesn't have 1200 boats on it and gain some confidence back. Had 2 great tournaments in 15 and 16, but this year was rough on me.

Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: krawlin 47] #12289886 06/12/17 03:39 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I do not run a skeeter anymore and did NOT want to be anywhere near all that mess, So I hit the lake around 6 pm and stayed out until about 4am and fish the full moon and when I could tell some skeeter boys are starting to hit the lake I loaded up and went to the camper. Thought I would go beat up someones fish LOL. Had a blast out there ended up with around 23-25 or so. No big fish, but fun none the less. Nice night to be out and had the lake to myself with a big beautiful bright moon.

Re: Skeeters Owner Tourney...let's hear some fishtales [Re: krawlin 47] #12289898 06/12/17 03:45 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: krawlin 47

have a boat running the other way coming at me...literally the guy cuts straight across my bow no 30 yards in front of me with no warning...the guy took a hard left turn

Same kind of carp I encountered on Memorial Day weekend. Wish I could fish more during the week. The Tuesday after Mem. Day was beautiful, with few boats on the water.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide