Page 1 of 2 1 2
Transfer the trust? #12286108 06/09/17 03:00 PM
S
SwampyMarsh Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I don't know about any of you, but I grew up fishing the banks and always seemed to have great days fishing. Of course that was fishing small ponds and lakes where you could pretty much fish the entire lake in a day and find the fish no problem. Now that I am in Texas and fishing big water it has been a rough transition. Of course I can motor up by the banks and hit all the edges because that is where my trust is. How do I transfer the trust to fishing in open deep water where I know the bass have to be on these hot days? How do I trust my graph that the fish I see on the bottom are bass? I've never trust that I am going to catch any fish throwing a plastic in 20ft of water. Has anyone had this problem transferring the trust from the edges to the lake when you know in your mind that's what you should be doing to catch bigger fish?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286122 06/09/17 03:07 PM
D
DuctsZX250 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
If you see bait or what you think is fish...throw at them and find out what they are.

My opinion is time time time and lots of failure mixed with moments of success.

With lots of time...your moments of failure will become less and less.

Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286167 06/09/17 03:28 PM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
Swampy, I am in the exact same scenario. I fish coves and structure regardless of time of year because I don't know how to read my graphs in deep water. That's probably the one thing to look at first is understanding your electronics. I simply prefer to throw at docks, stumps, rocks, grass, points, etc. Throwing into a deep abyss has never been my thing unless I see them schooling. Good luck.

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286168 06/09/17 03:29 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I start with a paper map picking the spots that have big flats, long points and creek channel swings toward the banks. Then you spend a few hours out in the boat pulling up these spots on your depth finder to familiarize yourself with how you are going to drag a Crig out and around these irregular features staying on the 20 ft. contour. Drop some weigh-points on these spots so you know when a shoreline protrusion is coming up, where the drag starts and where it ends. This will allow you to go directly to them when you get on the lake so you are not spending time hunting.

I actually do all this on the home computer and build a book then take those screen shots out to the boat and enter them into the depth finder. Let me try to explain what a point and irregular feature is. As you drive down the road, look at the mountain or hill off in the distance. They all have a long header or point coming down off of the mountain. In many cases there are several headers or points. LOOK closely at the side of each header. Somewhere on the side of everyone of them is an irregular feature. This may be: a heavy cropping of rocks, larger and taller than the others may be a long ledge formed a million years ago by high water washing against the shore it may be a very short steep ledge of huge rock it may also be a very heavily wooded area and it may be a gouge cut in the side of the point. Now imagine these same points running out into the lake. This is what we are looking for on the side of every long point and protrusion that comes off the shoreline.

This is what you are looking for and want to take out to your boat and drop a few points on the spot to help you do a better job fishing it when you get to the lake. First I drag the contour on the RED Spray line on the slope then get with a very light wind to do the drifts across the big flat several times as long as the fish are biting. Always crank up and come back by deep water as not to disturb the fish on the next drift.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286184 06/09/17 03:37 PM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Same boat as OP...I've been out and hit the deep stuff with minimal returns. The less I catch the closer I troll to the bank and hit shallow.

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286202 06/09/17 03:46 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There are a couple of things that really helps with the time factor on the above shot.
- I like two fisherman in the boat to work such spots.
- Man in front is keeping the boat on the deep contour and casting to the RED X's and CIRCLES which are the best spots on the point. I do this with a Short Crig in 1/2 oz. with a Brush Hog. Make long cast up onto the edge of the drop and slow roll it back just ticking the bottom.
- Man in the back of the boat is watching the depth finder constantly and talking about what is being seen on split screen with Down Scan and Side Scan. He is always dragging a Crig on the contour in and out around the irregular feature.

TIP:
When you start the drift put the big motor up so the prop. is still in the water. Put the motor in gear to keep the prop. from turning. This allows the man in the front to also drag with lots of line out on the DRIFT. If the line gets under the back of the boat then it doesn't get wrapped around the motor prop and will give you the time needed to make the Trolling Motor adjustment to get the boat off your line during the drift.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286204 06/09/17 03:46 PM
S
SwampyMarsh Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I feel like I am a good fisherman, then you hear about these guys who catch close to 30lbs in a 3 hour workingmans. Kind of makes me wonder W T F I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by SwampyMarsh; 06/09/17 03:46 PM.
Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286210 06/09/17 03:52 PM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SwampyMarsh
I feel like I am a good fisherman, then you hear about these guys who catch close to 30lbs in a 3 hour workingmans. Kind of makes me wonder W T F I'm doing wrong.

The difference is the map post is about finding fish, maybe a way to pre fish on paper before you ever see a lake for the first time. Once you fish these areas regularly you find and mark the sweet spots. Maybe you even plant a little brush to enhance a spot.

The guys fishing for 3 hours in a working man tourney aren't searching new water like this. They are going to the juice immediately and each spot they hit is a very hit percentage spot.

Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286218 06/09/17 03:57 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
You're fishing against people who have been fishing that lake for 10 plus years. They know the spots and the lures. Unless you spend some time and find good fish, you're just handing money over to guys who know the lake. This happens at all lakes. Why do you think the same people constantly finish at the top at certain lakes?

Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286237 06/09/17 04:09 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy

You're probably not doing anything wrong. You are hearing about guys that have put in the Time On the Water and paid their dues. That's what it's all about.

I recall a post a while back about you wanting to put your son on a DD bass but wanting to do it yourself without hiring a guide. Nothing at all wrong with that mindset but you will take YEARS off your learning curve if you would hire a good guide once. I used Eddie Garrett at Fork yesterday and we got them good. Biggest was 7.48.

If you want to get better at something, do it with folks that are much better than you are and have an open mind.

Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286305 06/09/17 04:51 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Ken said it perfectly. I've probably done 50+ guide trips over the last 10 years and with a few exceptions were by far the best learning tools I ever used. Each guide had his approach to water both shallow and deep. I would spend the entire day asking questions...some were goofy but most paid off in spades. I have those guides (Dannie Golden, Ron Peterson, Dean Stroman, Clint Wright and Jason Barber) along with my brother in law to thank for most of what I have learned since I started in this crazy sport about 10 years ago.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286318 06/09/17 04:59 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I think a lot of anglers have to gain confidence in feeling the bite deep, I bring a lot of different people to Amistad where I put a 3/4 or 1 oz jig in their hands and put them on bluffs from 25 to 90 feet, the bite is far more aggressive than a Senko up shallow, especially when you have multiple fish competing over the jig, it blows their minds and they gain confidence too.

My advice, throw all of your shallow gear out of the boat and leave only heavy deep gear in the boat, go fish deep and learn with what is in the boat. Its a mind game, but it will work, I am living proof! I have increased the number DD's over the last 20 years buy doing this.

Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286396 06/09/17 05:49 PM
tx2va07 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Honestly I think you just have to go out and do it. When I bought my first good graph, I told myself I was going to learn to fish deep that summer. I pretty much only fished lakes where I could fish deep structure and catch fish. At first you may not be sure of what you're looking at, but then you stop and fish it. If you thought you were looking at rocks, you'll be able to feel it. If you think you see fish, stop and fish it. Then if you catch them you're confidence is going to grow in what you're seeing.

Putting time in with your electronics is the only way to gain the trust in my opinion. Once you do learn to trust your electronics though, it will make you a much more efficient angler.

Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: SwampyMarsh] #12286406 06/09/17 05:55 PM
Big Kahuna Fishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
No offense to other posts"
but to me this has been the most informative thread I have ever read.

Thank you to all of you who have been willing to share your knowledge.

Living the American Dream in central Texas !
Re: Transfer the trust? [Re: Ken A.] #12286423 06/09/17 06:06 PM
S
SwampyMarsh Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

You're probably not doing anything wrong. You are hearing about guys that have put in the Time On the Water and paid their dues. That's what it's all about.

I recall a post a while back about you wanting to put your son on a DD bass but wanting to do it yourself without hiring a guide. Nothing at all wrong with that mindset but you will take YEARS off your learning curve if you would hire a good guide once. I used Eddie Garrett at Fork yesterday and we got them good. Biggest was 7.48.

If you want to get better at something, do it with folks that are much better than you are and have an open mind.

Forget my son I want to put myself on a DD! lol. But in all seriousness I definitely have an open mind and having tried multiple times I am giving a guide consideration. At least a couple times to get the feel of what to look for in deep water and how to fish them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide