Print Thread
Daydreams! #12282031 06/07/17 01:10 AM
L
Littlefeather Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Out of the corner of my eye I caught some distant lightening. The early dawn was releasing it's grip on the darkness and the outlines of the sky gods began to reveal themselves. The blue's and grey's began growing together to form megaliths of darkness upwelling in the North Eastern sky. A storm was coming but little did I understand the impact of this storm.

Uncle Frank's voice broke the silence of the early morning dawn. "Grab the line damn-it"! "Pay attention, Boy"! Ain't-cha-ever handled a catfish before? "You kid's these days".. "Yawl have no clue"!

I'd been dropped of at Uncle Franks house as my folk's went north on a business meeting. I really didn't know Uncle Frank at this young stage of my life. I was about 8 or 9 years old at the time and the only thing I really knew of him was what my Mom said. She said he had gone to Asia in the late 1960's on a hunting trip and some guy named "Nam" messed him up a bit. I didn't know who this "Nam" fella was but I knew Uncle Frank though about him a lot when he wasn't smoking cigarettes, drinking, or fishing.

As the ol' flat bottom boat swung wide and back into the swift current I found myself staring down at the catfish wriggling around between the tangle of jug lines, anchor rope, and some primordial soup that never got drained from the hull, EVER! I was amazed! I had no words! I was gazing upon a magnificent mystical beast, this catfish!

I'm not exactly sure if it was the thunder in the distant sky or the gravely voice of Uncle Frank that brought me back to reality but I was snapped to attention! " Fish-on, Boy"! " Fish-on"! Uncle Frank was obviously seeing something my young eyes hadn't seen yet. His authoritative
voice bellowed harsh through 4 decades of Marlboro's and drinking cheap Red-eye whisky, "Grab the damn line Boy"! The limb line came into sight at this very moment and the limb groaned with unbridled strain as a swirl from the Abys rose up beside the flat bottom..... I was 8 years old at the time and we glided past..... Uncle Frank again bellowed and coughed, "DAMNIT BOY"!

I pulled the easy-Snell knot tight on the circle hook I was tying today. I marveled and the perfection of this knot as I leaned against my workbench and prepared to go fishing again. I marveled at the 42 years that had passed since I cut teeth with Uncle Frank. I smiled as I thought of days gone by. I smiled wider as I thought of all the trips ahead. Let us not be blinded by the prize of what may lie ahead but instead surprised by the magic of each moment! Take a kid fishing! It will make a difference! Curtis

Those who dance are considered mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12282058 06/07/17 01:26 AM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
N
That is a beautiful story man ,makes me smile lol fish on brother !

Last edited by Nickbyrd; 06/07/17 01:29 AM.
Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12282077 06/07/17 01:34 AM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
+1

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12282200 06/07/17 02:52 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
thumb

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12282258 06/07/17 03:23 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12282549 06/07/17 01:01 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Ain't nothin like it!!!! Got me wishin I was back in Colorada... smile thumb

Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12282866 06/07/17 04:19 PM
L
Littlefeather Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
I'm headed back there in August Rick.

Funny story. I was up a few years ago to guide some Elk hunters up at Rainbow Lake. I stopped off in Gunnison at a fly shop on my way North. I just wanted to kill a little time since I was ahead of schedule. I hadn't thought to change out of my ranch clothes before entering Colorado. I was still wearing my Wrangler work shirt, cowboy hat, and boots. My attire was obviously out of place.

The sign on the outside of this Fly Shop clearly said "bait". I pulled in, stretched a bit, then entered. The Owner was busy chatting fly's with some dude at the counter and only briefly glanced my way without really acknowledging me. I eased around the shop looking through a maze of alien looking flies and lures. The Owner still had not acknowledged my presence. As I began to leave the shop he finally asked "can I help you". I sez yea, your sign out front say's you have bait. I've looked over the entire shop and I can't find where you keep the chicken liver...... Ooooppps! You'd have thought I was filleting a 9# bass during the weigh-in at a bass tourney. I laugh every time I think of the look on his face.

Those who dance are considered mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12282878 06/07/17 04:28 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
N
roflmao

Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12282914 06/07/17 04:45 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Colorado would be heaven on earth and the perfect place to retire except it's missing 1 very important thing....GIANT HUMPBACK HI-FINS!!!

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12283311 06/07/17 09:11 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Littlefeather
I'm headed back there in August Rick.

Funny story. I was up a few years ago to guide some Elk hunters up at Rainbow Lake. I stopped off in Gunnison at a fly shop on my way North. I just wanted to kill a little time since I was ahead of schedule. I hadn't thought to change out of my ranch clothes before entering Colorado. I was still wearing my Wrangler work shirt, cowboy hat, and boots. My attire was obviously out of place.

The sign on the outside of this Fly Shop clearly said "bait". I pulled in, stretched a bit, then entered. The Owner was busy chatting fly's with some dude at the counter and only briefly glanced my way without really acknowledging me. I eased around the shop looking through a maze of alien looking flies and lures. The Owner still had not acknowledged my presence. As I began to leave the shop he finally asked "can I help you". I sez yea, your sign out front say's you have bait. I've looked over the entire shop and I can't find where you keep the chicken liver...... Ooooppps! You'd have thought I was filleting a 9# bass during the weigh-in at a bass tourney. I laugh every time I think of the look on his face.

roflmao roflmao roflmao It is different. cheers And I know, it's like all they have there is little trout and wierd fish and stuff. Thats cool you guide for them Elk, I saw huge Elk there everywhere it seemed... cheers

Re: Daydreams! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12283370 06/07/17 09:49 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
Colorado would be heaven on earth and the perfect place to retire except it's missing 1 very important thing....GIANT HUMPBACK HI-FINS!!!

It sure is... Lol! I'm just missing the cool weather already and the feeling that comes with it smile .... cheers

Re: Daydreams! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12283606 06/08/17 12:41 AM
F
Flags Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul

I grew up in CO (5th generation native) and was a CO resident for 52 years. Unfortunately the CO of my misbegotten cowboy youth is no more. What is left is an eastern county of Berkeley CA with the liberal mentality that goes with it. I go back every year to see family and to do some fishing or hunting (will be there the first week of July) but I could never live there again. Knowing what it was and seeing what it is now is heartbreaking. I dearly miss the CO I grew up in and as soon as I retired from my navy career I headed to TX. I fit in better here than I do in today's CO which is sad for a native son.

Retired Navy Chief Signalman
NJROTC Instructor Tascosa High School
Re: Daydreams! [Re: Littlefeather] #12283960 06/08/17 04:51 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nice post. Thanks for sharing. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide