Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? #12280103 06/06/17 12:32 AM
T
TroyKing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Looks like ill be down there soon on a little family trip....anybody know what's going on down their with the bass fishing?....I know there's a lot of fresh water pushing down.

Last edited by TroyKing; 06/06/17 12:33 AM.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12280603 06/06/17 12:21 PM
R
rp2987 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
BASS Open is there next week. It will be crowded until after that.

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12280721 06/06/17 01:24 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Don't know why BASS comes to the Sabine other than the big crowds. The fishery is mediocre at best. For some reason it's hard to catch anything more than dinks.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12280808 06/06/17 02:09 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
My guess is orange is paying some pretty big dollars to get these tournaments down here.

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12281194 06/06/17 05:25 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Money has a lot to do with it for sure and while it may not be the greatest fishery, it provides just about the most level field for its competitors than any other waters in the area. Who says every competition has be to held at the easiest places to catch fish? To use golf as an analogy, don't the PGA and USGA try to make their courses harder in their major competitions? I know it apples and oranges, but if everyone has to fish to same water, what is the difference? Just my 2 cents.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12281210 06/06/17 05:31 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
It's a very diverse fishery. I like it cause you can go 50+ miles in 4 directions and fish completely different water.

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12281823 06/06/17 11:14 PM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Orange paid 90K for this Open to come to the Sabine. It comes from Hotel Occupancy Tax dollars that will never be recouped imo. Fish will be caught, but the weights aren't going to be something that attracts tourists, puts bodies in beds and results in an equal return on the City's investment.

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12282627 06/07/17 01:46 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Troy, a lot of water coming down the river due to all the recent rain. Not good timing for bring the family down for river cruising or riding on skis. There will be lots of floaters in the river to dodge. Fishing will be ok in the backwaters on soft plastics.

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: RayBob] #12282639 06/07/17 01:52 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: RayBob
Don't know why BASS comes to the Sabine other than the big crowds. The fishery is mediocre at best. For some reason it's hard to catch anything more than dinks.

It can be a challenge at times but bass fishing in general is tough anywhere at times. I like the fact that they get to fish at a venue that offers a challenge. They are all on the same body of water under the same conditions. Just got to figure out how to catch the bigger bass.

The river is actually amazing and offers bass fishermen a variety of options. You can fish the grass, backwater marshes, bayous off the river, look for cuts with a falling tide and bass chasing bait, etc. It is more of a challenge to catch 3-5 lb bass than on our local reservoirs but you can catch a limit of 12" legal bass every day.

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: Alex Finch] #12282663 06/07/17 02:08 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: Alex Finch
Orange paid 90K for this Open to come to the Sabine. It comes from Hotel Occupancy Tax dollars that will never be recouped imo. Fish will be caught, but the weights aren't going to be something that attracts tourists, puts bodies in beds and results in an equal return on the City's investment.

With ~400 anglers coming to town staying at least 3 nights. Which doesn't include practice or staying the night the day the tournament ends it won't take long to hit 90K in hotel rooms. Granted many won't stay in hotels or they will double up. There are also the ones that have spent a week in pre-practice and will spend the full tournament week as well so it kind of balances out.

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12282672 06/07/17 02:12 PM
S
skeeterusa Offline
Angler
Angler
S
First off I'm a little biased on this subject since I'm from and work for the City of Orange. Everyone knows the Sabine river is not the best bass fishery in the nation but it has so much to offer. Case in point, I have numerous boat ramps within 15 minutes of my house, when I go fishing its a matter of what I want to fish for versus where I want to fish since the fishery is so diverse.
I understand the bass tournament fisherman's mentality; those wanting numbers of solid fish and "big sacks" to bring to the scales for the WOW factor but its all about perspective. The Sabine is a place that will humble even the best of bass anglers. Sure they will have to sort through a lot the smalls for 5 keepers but when they hang into that 3 to 5 pounder it can be a game changer and a huge mental boost to their game. No different than having a 20 pound sack and culling a 3 pounder with a 9.65. I know that 80 miles north of here that might not even get you a check on certain days but that's a damn nice sack anywhere in my book. That's just my 2 cents!
As for the cost, it is my understanding that Orange is not paying anymore than what other cities pay to have Bass Masters come to town. It just so happens that Orange has the available funds through the hotel/motel tax and I'm sure the Stark Cultural Venues kicks in some also. I figure if we have the funds then why not keep bringing them back.
In every tournament there are winners and losers, such will be the case when Bass returns to the Sabine. All the Pro's need to do is put their "big boy pants" on and do what they do best...... Fish! Along with having a damn good time doing it.....

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: TroyKing] #12282728 06/07/17 02:48 PM
S
skeeterusa Offline
Angler
Angler
S
TroyKing, Sorry man I got to reading the other post and forgot about why the post was started. Right now the river is full up and T-bend was suppose to open some gates today so it will be up for awhile. The best advice I can give you is keep the hard baits, spinner baits and buzz baits small 1/4 or 3/8oz and cover some water.When you find a change in water color such as ditches and drains sit on it, fish it from every angle with everything in the boat before you leave it. When the sun gets over the trees just start flipp'in and pitch'in when you get tired of that, flip and pitch some more.

Key items to have in the boat....
OFF, snake gun, machete and lots of water

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: kellisag] #12282779 06/07/17 03:29 PM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: kellisag
Originally Posted By: Alex Finch

With ~400 anglers coming to town staying at least 3 nights. Which doesn't include practice or staying the night the day the tournament ends it won't take long to hit 90K in hotel rooms. Granted many won't stay in hotels or they will double up. There are also the ones that have spent a week in pre-practice and will spend the full tournament week as well so it kind of balances out.

I won't and haven't spent a dime on a room, meal or bait in Orange. Neither will the other six anglers staying with me in another town. A lot of locals will stay at home. I know enough about economic development and visitor's bureaus to know that there's more return than HOT dollars that goes into the equation and decision to pursue an event. Sales tax dollars are a lot more important to the City than HOT because of general use.

I'll do the math, because it's fun. They would need $1.29 million in hotel rooms to recoup the $90K in HOT @ 7% max rate. At $100/night that's 12,857 room nights. Let's say everyone stays 6 nights in Orange, TX and in their own room... which they won't. They'd need 2,142 anglers, a far cry from the actual field and the limited number of family members that will follow along.

I'm not trying to bash the decision to hold the event on the River or to bring it to the River with this post. Evidently, this is an important deal to the local community and they can provide entertainment using restricted funds while not taking away from the general funds they use on roads, public safety, etc. As far as the fishing goes, I don't think this place is a gold mine, and I think it's a harsh place for us to put our bass boats. But that can be said about a lot of other places they could have sent us.

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12282851 06/07/17 04:10 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
It's a very diverse fishery. I like it cause you can go 50+ miles in 4 directions and fish completely different water.

We really enjoyed the actual fishing part of it last fall at the Championship. We knew it was primarily a dink fest but found ways to catch a better than average fish there. Enjoyed the fishing all 4 days but we had our expectations calibrated when we got there. Local businesses and restaurants treated us very well. No complaints here.

Re: Bass fishing on the Sabine river above Orange txt? [Re: skeeterusa] #12282864 06/07/17 04:18 PM
T
TroyKing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: skeeterusa
TroyKing, Sorry man I got to reading the other post and forgot about why the post was started. Right now the river is full up and T-bend was suppose to open some gates today so it will be up for awhile. The best advice I can give you is keep the hard baits, spinner baits and buzz baits small 1/4 or 3/8oz and cover some water.When you find a change in water color such as ditches and drains sit on it, fish it from every angle with everything in the boat before you leave it. When the sun gets over the trees just start flipp'in and pitch'in when you get tired of that, flip and pitch some more.

Key items to have in the boat....
OFF, snake gun, machete and lots of water
thanks for the feed back...not sure when we will be there, but it will be this summer...when is this BASS event?...for sure want to stay away from that!!

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide