Print Thread
Minn Kota Ultrex questions (HELP) #12282669 06/07/17 02:11 PM
C
CartersFishingAdventures Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
anybody with a minn kota ultrex help me out here.

have you had any problems with the foot control coming on and off by its self.

I want some info how to set it up properly. have not yet set the puck, so I haven't used the remote yet. does that affect the spot lock? is that why Im having issues.

anything helps, high dollar trolling motor and cant use it correctly. http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/images/icons/default/mad.gif

text or call if easier 214-998-9321

John W Carter
Cartersfishingadventures.com
214-998-9321
Undercoversportsman.com
LucasLures.com
enigma fishing pro staff
Woo Tungsten pro staff
AnglersMarine.com
Re: Minn Kota Ultrex questions (HELP) [Re: CartersFishingAdventures] #12282775 06/07/17 03:22 PM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
We have the Ulterra. We use strictly the remote.

The Foot Control Pedal is on board just in case, but it is not hooked up.

We do love it very much. We also have 6 extra sets of remote batteries on board in a Ziploc.

Will pass along a life lesson piece of advice learned yesterday the "HARD" way.

We have had the Ulterra for over a year and we love it very much.

We know that people will move their boat to go a short distance and sometimes leave the trolling motor down.
Don't do that because you could hit a stump, and I have heard about shafts breaking from the stress.

So, with the Ulterra it was real easy to raise the Ulterra all the way up out of the water by pushing the up arrow on the remote and then running your short distance.
We thought hey by not stowing it and just getting it out of the water we were saving on the wear and tear of constantly stowing and UN-stowing.
Instead we would raise it up and move our short distance and lower it and get back to fishing.

Yesterday we did what we always do and we raised the motor up to make our short run.
Wind was whipping up around 20 knots and a pretty big wave came by.
As the front of the boat dropped from that wave...BAM! The trolling motor fell straight down and went right in the water.

When you have the trolling motor up and out of the water it is being held up by a belt. Yeah..a BELT!

Well when the front of the boat dropped from that big wave the belt snapped like a tooth pick yesterday and hence the trolling motor dropped straight into the water.
To make matters worse it took us a bit to figure out how to manually unlock the trolling motor in order to be able to stow it. We honestly had never had a need.

I recommend learning how to manually unlock and stow the trolling motor should the need arise.
I recommend stowing the trolling motor every time regardless of how short of distance you are moving.

Our mistake cost us the following:

Totally ended our day of fishing yesterday by 10:30am.
Spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to manually unlock the trolling motor to stow it while being battered in 20 knots of wind and waves.
Planned to be fishing today and we are not.
$39.95 for a new belt (No one in Dallas had the part in stock)
$28 expedited shipping so the part arrives before noon today.
Having to take the trolling motor off the boat
Driving to Ft. Worth as soon as the part comes in today.
Evidently not a single place in the Dallas area that can replace it works on Wednesday (It's their day off)
A drive to Ft. Worth to get the belt replaced today is a necessity.
Once the belt is replaced we get to mount the trolling motor back on the boat.
Hope to be on the water at sun up tomorrow.

Don't be like us. violin

hammer flame hammer

Sorry for the thread hijack, but thought it I might be able to help some others with our life experiences with a similar trolling motor.

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex questions (HELP) [Re: CartersFishingAdventures] #12283005 06/07/17 05:48 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I have the Ultrex. Your discription is kinda confusing. Are you talking about the foot pedal switch or the prop. What is actually coming on and going off?

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Minn Kota Ultrex questions (HELP) [Re: CartersFishingAdventures] #12283969 06/08/17 05:11 AM
E
EtexSkeeter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
The puck is your heading sensor. It will affect spot lock if not installed properly. It tells the ultrex what direction your boat is facing so it knows which way to go.

As for the foot pedal going on and off...there is only an on/off switch on the left side. Also on the left side is a prop on/off. Not sure what you mean by it goes on and off...

Les Milligan
Lake O the Pines Fishing Guide
903-445-6804
https://www.facebook.com/lakeothepinesguide/
Re: Minn Kota Ultrex questions (HELP) [Re: CartersFishingAdventures] #12284032 06/08/17 11:18 AM
red snappa Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
If you bump an arrow after spot lock, it will disengage ( if using the foot pedal ). When you go to spot lock, you must make sure that you depress the anchor button all the way, or it will not engage. If you are using the foot pedal, you have to make sure the blue light is on steady, or you are not locked down. Long story short, if you are pressing the button on the foot pedal with your foot, press it solid, don't just tap it.

I like my fishing like a whino likes his wine!
http://thermoclinelures.com
http://advancedtaxidermy.com
Re: Minn Kota Ultrex questions (HELP) [Re: CartersFishingAdventures] #12284034 06/08/17 11:22 AM
red snappa Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
HOGON, thanks for your heads up! I am guilty of doing the same thing, but no more!

I like my fishing like a whino likes his wine!
http://thermoclinelures.com
http://advancedtaxidermy.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide