Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
wjbellner, 7265, Brad Edwards, 0700, Gary Bowman ( Catfish)
106535 Registered Users
Top Posters
TexDawg 87151
hopalong 78833
Pilothawk 75800
JDavis7873® 67386
John175 ® 65918
FattyMcButterpants 60793
Derek 🐝 59030
Tritonman 57768
LoneStarSon® 53827
SkeeterRonnie 53123
facebook
Forum Stats
106535 Members
61 Forums
814226 Topics
10281075 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12282316 - 06/06/17 11:05 PM Fishing Honey Holes in Rockport?
Deruen Offline
Green Horn

Need a little advice/help for fishing at Rockport! Everytime my family and I go fishing on the coast, we go to a pier and just get baitfish like pinfish,juvenile sand trout, or nothing at all and it is frustrating since we usually fish for bass at home since that's all we have access to. Any recommendations, tips, or even recommended charter services would be great!

#12282583 - 06/07/17 08:19 AM Re: Fishing Honey Holes in Rockport? [Re: Deruen]
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Entire Gulf and Atlantic Coast...
Rockport... take a trip with Levi Price. He's good with Kids. jay Watkins is also a great teacher. Start learning the how to as well, just like the time you probably put in reading bass master all those years.

Fishing fresh for bass and fishing salt for any predator fish is actually fairly similar with some BIG caveats.

Where did you catch your bass in fresh? It was on structure that held bait where they could also ambush from. Well it's sorta similar in saltwater too; except the structure looks a little different. Structure is anything that holds bait fish... oyster reefs, scattered oyster over a mud bottom, just a little grass on a mud bottom, the sea grass edge, potholes in the grass, rocks, all these are 'structure'. Fish the right depth for the season where bait is on these structures and edges and you'll tend to catch some trout, reds, and or flounder. Also, start using some of your bass lures instead of buying bait, bone zara spooks will catch both trout and reds, same with rattle traps and yes, you might loose a few just like fishing the rip rap, also spinner baits are great for redfish, take the skirt off and use a berkley gulp swimming mullet curl tail.

You can find plenty of walk in wading spots in Copano, St Charles, as well as other areas. Use Google earth and find structure and edges and then find a way to get there. You can also use the Google Earth street view to move down the road and look to see if there are no parking signs or if there is parking available.

Lighted piers at night are ok, fishing around the lights tends to always be fun for a little while. Use a small lipped jerkbait in the 3" range and give it an erratic rhythm. Usually works pretty good for pulling out the better fish out of the lights. Work the edges of the lights, not just right where lights shines. Fish the fringes of that light pattern and any corners or dark spots. Fish like to ambush from the dark.

Have fun.. your always welcome to email me with more questions as well...
tobin@troutsupport.com

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook

#12283452 - 06/07/17 06:01 PM Re: Fishing Honey Holes in Rockport? [Re: Deruen]
Pat Goff Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Marble Falls/Seadrift
A day with Jay Watkins would be a lifetime of experience. They don't get any better.

#12285788 - 06/09/17 07:02 AM Re: Fishing Honey Holes in Rockport? [Re: Deruen]
Grinder55 Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Rockport, Texas
Deruen: Jay Watkins is has won more TroutMaster Tourneys and other tourney's along the Texas Gulf Coast than any guide I know over the last 25 years. You'll learn something with him and in my opinion, that's what "it's" all about. He's also sponsored by the Rockport Rattler jigs I invented back in 2003, and it's been an honor to have invented a lure that Jay has endorsed.

After I sold the Rockport Rattler© I published the WadeFish Rockport© Book & DVD and the web site http://www.wadefishrockport.com/ to help anglers just like you catch fish without the need for a guide or boat.

I enjoy helping anglers catch fish - that's always been my mission.

Here's a little history behind a couple of these WadeFish Rockport© locations.

I have been fishing these wade fish locations since the days of my youth when my cousins and I could go wade fish across the street from our Bayhouse in Copano Village, where my Grandfather Fred A. Hoyt built the 3rd house in that subdivision in 1928.

My success as a wade angler and professional Guide led me to invent and get a US Patent on the Rockport Rattler© jigs.

When my son was born on April 29th at 5:55 a.m. back in the mid 1990’s, the first things he touched in his life, besides his mom and I, was the football and rod n’ reel I had bought for him. Around 11:00 a.m. the Dr. told me my son and his mom needed to get some rest so why don’t I go grab a bite to eat and get some rest as well.

Eating a sandwich at my kitchen table, I noticed high tide was at 12:30 p.m. … and I had a wade fish location that produced big trout at high tide. So I decided to go break in my son’s rod n’ reel in for him. I had 2 trout on my stringer when I said a little prayer to God, saying “This could be my only son, so please give me something to brag about.”

Less than 3 minutes later a 28” trout hit and without a net I wrestled her onto my stringer. It’s not every day you can just walk out the door and catch a 28” trout. My knowledge of the wade spot was the key. I put the rod n’ reel along with that trout mount and this pic on the wall until he was old enough to fish with his rod n’ reel.

The day after I brought my only son and his mom home, I decided to see if I could catch a red bigger than my son, so I went to my redfish hole and was in the ol’ SaltH2O at the crack of dawn and strung these 3 reds.

These WadeFish Rockport© locations have provided my family and I some great memories - along with some great fishing and some very tasty filets.

They'll do the same for anyone that applies the Moon/Tide/Season chart to the location they want to fish.

Last June an owner of the WadeFish Rockport book saw his 14 YO son catch a 30" trout and it's now on their wall and he posted his fishing report and this pic on TFF last year as well.

Edited by Grinder55 (06/09/17 07:19 AM)

https://www.wadefishrockport.com/

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide