Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,681
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12285533 06/09/17 02:53 AM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
"You have the hunting forum guys up in arms over your posts on that forum. I've received a few PM's with invites to hit the trinity with spot lights and bows just to post pics of big shot up gar on your threads. I'm not going to kill gar to pizz off some guy on a forum, but several others are planning to. So how is this crusade to save the gar helping them if you've got people mad enough to go kill the biggest ones they can find just because of your goofy posts?"

Great quote that showcases the worst side of human behavior - destroy a valuable natural resource out of spite. Yes, that makes lots of sense.

Thankfully, long-lived fish like white sturgeon are starting to recover from such foolishness.

While we don't have a great history at conserving natural resources, killing some fish is FAR from the worst side of human behavior.

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: grout-scout] #12285922 06/09/17 01:23 PM
N
Nickbyrd Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
N
Originally Posted By: Nickbyrd
Nope its not off subject it's the same old [censored] . Give it a week or two same post same argument same people . de duel

I know right, I take the bait every time! I guess I just need to realize that the man is loco.

I am Guilty as well

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: adam_p] #12285970 06/09/17 01:46 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: adam_p
"You have the hunting forum guys up in arms over your posts on that forum. I've received a few PM's with invites to hit the trinity with spot lights and bows just to post pics of big shot up gar on your threads. I'm not going to kill gar to pizz off some guy on a forum, but several others are planning to. So how is this crusade to save the gar helping them if you've got people mad enough to go kill the biggest ones they can find just because of your goofy posts?"

Great quote that showcases the worst side of human behavior - destroy a valuable natural resource out of spite. Yes, that makes lots of sense.

Thankfully, long-lived fish like white sturgeon are starting to recover from such foolishness.

While we don't have a great history at conserving natural resources, killing some fish is FAR from the worst side of human behavior.

There's a big difference between killing 'some' fish, and systematically exterminating a species. Seen any smalltooth sawfish on the Texas coast recently?

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12286062 06/09/17 02:38 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G

There's a big difference between killing 'some' fish, and systematically exterminating a species. Seen any smalltooth sawfish on the Texas coast recently?

Were they all killed off because of bowfishing? If not, I'm not sure you have a valid point. We are talking about bowfishing eradicating the gar, carp, etc.

Or at least I think we are/were.

Last edited by grout-scout; 06/09/17 02:40 PM.
Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: grout-scout] #12286101 06/09/17 02:57 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C

Were they all killed off because of bowfishing? If not, I'm not sure you have a valid point. We are talking about bowfishing eradicating the gar, carp, etc.

The means and method don't make any difference when a species is killed off.

Last edited by ChuChu1; 06/09/17 02:58 PM.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: grout-scout] #12286199 06/09/17 03:44 PM
T
texan12 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted By: texan12
Well that escalated quickly, and got off subject. I feel like we are all on the same team about wanting to preserve our natural resources for future generations, while still enjoying our right to hunt and fish to the fullest. If TPWD sees a need to adjust the current regulations on alligator gar fishing, they will. In the meantime, who wants to go bowfishing for an invasive species like carp (Asian, common, or grass)???

Well you see, you missed that thread. It's what caused the original post here in this thread, it seems that some love carp as much as others love their gars. They won't be happy until bowfishing is banned and that's what they are after.

I guess I'm gonna have to bow out of this one then. Lol. I got sucked in too.

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: ChuChu1] #12286249 06/09/17 04:19 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1

The means and method don't make any difference when a species is killed off.

Come back when gar make the threatened species list. Right now they are doing just fine, actually doing quite well at Choke & Falcon.

You yourself are a big supporter of TPWD, do you find them to being doing a bad job with the gar situation?

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: SharkBaitTV] #12286313 06/09/17 04:56 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
The buffalo did fine till there was only a few left.

Choke and Falcon are not the only gar habitats in Texas. Falcon has an exception to the statewide rule.

I do think TP&W is doing a good job, especially since it's only been a few years since they recognized they were becoming threatened. And since there was no previous studies anywhere to work from, it is a learning experience. Yes, they have/will make mistakes but that is how they learn.

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: grout-scout] #12286361 06/09/17 05:28 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"

Overfishing is overfishing, regardless of means. I don't have a problem with using a bow, net, or spear for taking fish. But I do have a problem with killing massive amounts of fish for no better purpose than to dump them as trash. Same kind of thing as bycatch in shrimp nets.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: SharkBaitTV] #12286410 06/09/17 05:59 PM
A
AgSellers04 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A

PBs

LMB- 11 lbs., 7 oz. Falcon

Striper- 40 lb. Long Is. Sound
BlueCat- 30 lb. Texoma
Hybrid-8.2 lb. Lewisville
Cutthroat Trout-22" Yellowstone R, WY
Rainbow Trout- 21" Blitzen R, OR
Steelhead- 8 lb. Umpqua R, OR
Redfish-20 lb. Panama C. Bay, FL

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12286438 06/09/17 06:15 PM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Oh, OK. So bowfisherman are systematically exterminating alligator gar. Got it.

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: grout-scout] #12286491 06/09/17 07:02 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
We are talking about bowfishing eradicating the gar, carp, etc. Or at least I think we are/were.

You..know I've talked to a ton of carp anglers over the years. And can count the number of Carp anglers that truly want to eliminate all bow fishing on 1 hand. The only thing they (and I!) want to eliminate is/was the legality of killing as many carp, gar, etc, as you want to. And now days, the main thing rough anglers are trying to educate people about is, it's 100% ILLEGAL to kill fish if you have no intention of using them for food or bait.

This particular thread, be it carp, buffalo, gar, etc, is all about educating EVERYONE that is IS illegal to kill fish without the intention of using them for food or bait. And to make matters worse, even some game wardens "interpret" (or don't know or simply don't care) that law differently which adds to confusion. But the written law itself is 100% clear.

And let's be honest here, the over riding majority of bow fisherman DO support these laws because they respect the fishery and harvest fish for tablefare, etc. It's the few bow fisherman that have no respect for rough fish, don't eat fish, etc, that really get upset and are the loudest and throw out that "fake news" that everyone is trying to 100% eliminate bow fishing, which just...isn't...true at all.

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: dmunsie] #12286508 06/09/17 07:10 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: dmunsie
We are talking about bowfishing eradicating the gar, carp, etc. Or at least I think we are/were.

You..know I've talked to a ton of carp anglers over the years. And can count the number of Carp anglers that truly want to eliminate all bow fishing on 1 hand. The only thing they (and I!) want to eliminate is/was the legality of killing as many carp, gar, etc, as you want to. And now days, the main thing rough anglers are trying to educate people about is, it's 100% ILLEGAL to kill fish if you have no intention of using them for food or bait.

This particular thread, be it carp, buffalo, gar, etc, is all about educating EVERYONE that is IS illegal to kill fish without the intention of using them for food or bait. And to make matters worse, even some game wardens "interpret" (or don't know or simply don't care) that law differently which adds to confusion. But the written law itself is 100% clear.

And let's be honest here, the over riding majority of bow fisherman DO support these laws because they respect the fishery and harvest fish for tablefare, etc. It's the few bow fisherman that have no respect for rough fish, don't eat fish, etc, that really get upset and are the loudest and throw out that "fake news" that everyone is trying to 100% eliminate bow fishing, which just...isn't...true at all.

thumb

Artim Law Firm, PLLC
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: dmunsie] #12286622 06/09/17 08:27 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: dmunsie

I think most people agree with what you are saying. I think most people are in the middle of this arguement, with a few far left and a few far right. There is room for everyone, just stop the dump trailer loads of rough fish.

Re: (TPWD Responds) Its Illegal to Dump or Bury Fish in the State of Texas [Re: SharkBaitTV] #12286882 06/10/17 12:22 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I wasn't going to get into this long argument but people are passionate on both sides of the argument.
It's overblown in my opinion as we have laws that are already in place to protect the resource, and the gar isn't forgotten by TPWD by any means.
It's the few slobs out there that need to be policed, and it's up to us sportsmen to turn them in when we see something that isn't right.
Other than that there is no reason to attack anyone for their sport and means of enjoying it as long as it's lawful.
Instead we should let the biologist determine if there is a problem or not and not get emotional and try to establish more restrictions on an already restricted resource.
Changing a classification won't make that much difference when it's only a handful of people that are doing the abuse, and thus punishing the majority for no reason other than feeling good about yourself.

Just one more cast!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide