Just read an article where a 31 y/o male got a tattoo and contracted this flesh eating bacteria after swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. He was warned not to get that tattoo wet for days after getting it.Well, he went into the water and contracted the disease thru the tattoo.The man developed discoloration around the tattoo,along with chills and fever shortly after he went into the water.Just 24 hours after being taken to the hospital, the man began suffering from organ failure and was placed on life support. Despite aggressive initial treatment, he eventually went into septic shock and died 2 months after entering the hospital. I might add he had a bad liver due to drinking booze and his immune system was breaking down also. BTW, it was not mention what part of the Gulf he was swimming in.
If you folks never heard of this Bacteria, you have now. Spread the word. Do not go into the water if you have open cuts. The water here has got a lot warmer and this stuff thrives in it. Usually samples of the waters are taken now and then to test for high bacteria levels. Beware of advisories. Be safe,wear those PFD's,have a great summer, and remember to Take a Kid Fishing
Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master