Forums59
Topics1,038,966
Posts13,956,593
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12277709 06/04/17 12:02 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
And Sarg, I never see any posts of your fish. Can you start posting some of your weekly bluecats so we can see all these big fish your hauling in. Perhaps you and I could have a friendly weekly photo contest. I'm sure I'm not anywhere close to your level of experience but it could be a lot of fun. And there are also quite a few of us on here still waiting to see a photo of your amazing mystical 5# box anchor design that holds a battleship. I'm sure every guide on here is equally interested in your design as every guide I have every been with uses 2 25lbrs at a minimum and some use 35lbrs.

Last edited by El Gato Azul; 06/04/17 02:23 PM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12277794 06/04/17 01:22 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I can't believe nobody here ever used one of the old Penn 109's 209's or 309's.
I grew up with one foot in Red River north of Bonham and those Penn reels were the only thing that would hold up in the sand and big fish in swift running water.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: jackiekennedyfishingguide] #12278168 06/04/17 06:40 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
Still testing those Abu's some going on 27 years old and still working but get repaired from time to time. Parts are readily available and lots of folks can fix em. They do all I need for big blues and red drum.

I've been fishing 50+ years and I've never had a problem that couldn't be fixed cheap, and those were rare occasions due to being my own fault, and any tune up or repair I was able to do on my own.
I don't know if there are better reels out there these days, but I'm old school and believe if it ain't broke where I can't fix it, it don't need to be replaced.

Last edited by Jimbo; 06/04/17 06:44 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12278180 06/04/17 06:54 PM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I feel nearly certain that the Shimdaiwas are better reels than Abu's but unsure if they are three times as good. I know a Lexus is superior to a Ford also, but poor people have poor ways.

Last edited by jackiekennedyfishingguide; 06/04/17 06:55 PM.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12278534 06/05/17 12:23 AM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S
People CHOOSE to be poor,dont let the media fool yah
The tide is indeed turning and it will be those that are the slowest of mind and weakest of spirit to be the last ones to get it.
Time for a reasonable change far above the last 8 US yrs
If Abu's are so prestigious and well built,long history etc,etc
Why did they dump the BCX reels on the US markets?
CAUSE THEY KNEW where the easy money was and there for the taking.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12278544 06/05/17 12:31 AM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S

His wife beats him . . . . and he wins everytime
As long as she isnt around roflmao
Wrong hole to be poking a stick in I promise

Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
And Sarg, I never see any posts of your fish. Can you start posting some of your weekly bluecats so we can see all these big fish your hauling in. Perhaps you and I could have a friendly weekly photo contest. I'm sure I'm not anywhere close to your level of experience but it could be a lot of fun. And there are also quite a few of us on here still waiting to see a photo of your amazing mystical 5# box anchor design that holds a battleship. I'm sure every guide on here is equally interested in your design as every guide I have every been with uses 2 25lbrs at a minimum and some use 35lbrs.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12278554 06/05/17 12:35 AM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
SARG...you need to go fishin and chill out!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12278730 06/05/17 03:07 AM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S
You pulled the chain and got the dog
Care for a few screen shots?
Fished today,tuff with the light north wind and light sprinkles
Caught a few 14-16" garbage cats on cut bait
All throw backs,good day out without the bigger bites we target.
For the very last time,run along and find another chain . . . . . . mad
Go get more "ripped" or something . . . . . boxing

SARG...you need to go fishin and chill out!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12278791 06/05/17 03:56 AM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Sorry I ever doubted your China reels and 5#box anchor. I guess I should apologize cause I'm "ripped", sorry that a little thing called hard work has an amazing affect on the body. Turns out a little manual labor for the past 20yrs is good excercize. I will stay clear from your posts in the future and you stay clear of mine. I don't want any problems in my life as I have way too much to loose and you clearly have some issues. Best of luck with whatever it is your on here for. The threatening PMs need to stop immediately. I'm not here for boat ramp wrestling and no I don't want to meet up wth you...I'm here to become a better Angler and share my journey with like minded fisherman. We are opposite minded.

Last edited by El Gato Azul; 06/05/17 04:14 AM.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12278980 06/05/17 12:59 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Sorry I ever doubted your China reels and 5#box anchor. I guess I should apologize cause I'm "ripped", sorry that a little thing called hard work has an amazing affect on the body. Turns out a little manual labor for the past 20yrs is good excercize. I will stay clear from your posts in the future and you stay clear of mine. I don't want any problems in my life as I have way too much to loose and you clearly have some issues. Best of luck with whatever it is your on here for. The threatening PMs need to stop immediately. I'm not here for boat ramp wrestling and no I don't want to meet up wth you...I'm here to become a better Angler and share my journey with like minded fisherman. We are opposite minded.

When it all comes down to it, It's just what you do for the Toads Chris... It's what you do for the toads... cheers

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12278988 06/05/17 01:04 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Thanks Rick cheers your a true inspiration brother! Keep up the good work Amigo!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12279001 06/05/17 01:12 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Sarge sounds an awful lot like a guy on here a while back. Threatening pm's and butt hurt over every little thing. Guys like this are what has ruined this forum.

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12279068 06/05/17 01:41 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I have met a lot of really good guys on here over the past couple of years and 2 crack pots. I have had some back and forth discussions with guys and we haven't always agreed on things and that's ok. Me and Rick had a descussion about braid vs mono but it never got uncivilized and he still runs braid and I still run mono and we get along great. We don't always have to agree but if we can't come on a public fishing forum and talk about which reel we prefer and why we don't like a certain origin of manufacturing, or which fishing line we prefer then what's the point of TFF. I'm a redneck like a lot if guys on here and I learned real quick you gotta have thick skin on TFF cause big bluecat fisherman will give you the business.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12279095 06/05/17 01:53 PM
G
G Love Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
For your normal Blue Cat angler/guide (box and teen fish with kicker fish in the 30-50 lb range) I'd say Garcia 6500C3 is pretty much a staple. If you look at the guys that mainly just catch big fish, your big river guys, I see reels from Garcia 7000's to conventional set ups with out line guides like Avets and such. When Garcia's start breakin on me, I'll look for a different route. Good problem to have.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #12279156 06/05/17 02:19 PM
M
mjmetro0719 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn
We run our share of trips each winter for blues and put lots of wear and tear on our reels. The "standard" reel for most blue cat guys is the sweedish 6500. They have worked for us but at a pretty high cost of maintence and headaches. Mostly, the reel seats busting while fighting fish...happened at least a dozen times this past winter with clients fighting fish...reel comes off the brazed seat and now client is fighting fish holding independent reel separate from independent rod...Line still connected through eyes of rod and hooks still in fishes mouth, LOL .

The bad thing about this situation is there is no easy fix. You can either braze / weld it back together (in out on this option) or just order a new frame.

We have gone a different direction...

We went will all new Shimano Tekota's...

HUGE difference in performance and feel. Smoother, cast farther, hold more line and have a way smoother drag. We've used them through about 100 big fish with no problems and customers make comments everyday about them...where we hardly had good comments about our abus.

Ive switched and we aren't looking back, thumb

Same thing happened to my Abu Record Reel this past winter, never had one happen to me before. I use older and newer 6500 C3's and for me they have held up very well along with my 6000. I'm no guide but I do get to go fishing about twice a week on my home lake so I put them to use pretty well on some nice pigs. At least I look like I know what I'm doing. roflmao Trying out the Catmaxx reel now to see how it holds up but I might look into one of those Shimanos sometime.

Mike
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide