Print Thread
Origin of a Fisherman #12273312 06/01/17 04:58 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
I suspect there are two types of origins of a fisherman.

Type 1: Started fishing as a child, taken out by adult family members.

Type 2: Started fishing as an adult, started on their own initiative.

I'm a type 1. I've always fished. It was my grandmother and my mother that were the fishing family members. I had an older brother that I fished with later, and an uncle too, but it was the ladies that got me started young and early. I've probably forgotten more about fishing than I currently remember, its been that long since I started. Fishing is like breathing - I can look at water and know where to find the fish, but I have a difficult time explaining it to others. It is kind of like walking, I can walk just fine, but explaining how to walk is difficult.

Type 2. I've known several. They have "inquiring minds", insatiable curiosity, a happy attitude, are generally laid back and easy going, fun to be around. Positive thinkers. Easily amused, laugh readily. Friendly, outgoing and hard workers.

What triggered them to start fishing was the need to "get away from it all". A deep desire to be out in nature, but not just sitting in a camp watching a fire burn. Oh they like that alright, but not all day long. They like it at night. During the day they want to be actively engaged in some activity that allows them to enjoy the natural world and yet bring them peace of mind. So running a chainsaw to clear brush won't be what they do.

Fishing seems to rise to the surface of their conscious minds and they set about it with a will and a passion. First they buy some basic tackle and go try it out and pretty much don't catch fish. Wondering why they go back and read and study and ask any of their friends that fish about it. Pretty soon they are going fishing with a buddy that knows a thing or two, and in no time at all they are as proficient as their buddy. Cause, folks, this ain't rocket surgery you know.

Type 2's tend to gravitate to type 1's for a boost in getting started. It's a good system too. It's a great system in fact.

The only better system is when grandma teaches grandson about fishing by taking him along before he can walk.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Origin of a Fisherman [Re: Lloyd5] #12273393 06/01/17 05:35 PM
T
TioPick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I started as a child but on my own initiative. Continued as an adult. When I visited Yellowstone and the Tetons etc as an adult I realized that if I wanted to fish there, I had better learn fly fishing... and I did. or am attempting to. Now I can't go to the mountains but last year I had a rare moment of clarity and realized I should be fishing the Lower Luguna Madre.

Re: Origin of a Fisherman [Re: Lloyd5] #12273726 06/01/17 08:32 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Began on my own when about 6 years old trying to catch fish with a switch a length of string and a nut. Later converted to a hook and worms, never looked back. Dropped the worms in the late 60ties then self taught fly casting and tying flies. Now any pond creek or lake excites the desire to cast a line.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide