Print Thread
Recent Upgrades: Review #12266331 05/28/17 11:06 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I mentioned that after I used the new devices and contraptions, I'd post my thoughts.

Boonedox Landing Gear: I'd give this a 9, a top score. It makes it so that a loaded kayak can be wheeled onto and off of the water, onto and off of the truck/trailer. It saves effort; but more important, it saves time. I'd give it a 10 but I will withhold 1 point because, while mine feels very solid and secure on my Propel 10 track, I still think Boonedox could come up with more backing plates for more kayaks making this a non-issue on better makes and models.

Ram Tube 2008: A 9, too. Another reason I gave the Landing Gear high marks is for the cool little machined in tracks for adding things. This is not an attachment, the two grooves are machined in. So, these Ram Tubes are big and what I found is that I can very easily hit the mouths/openings of mine with my rod butts, sort of like an archer pulling an arrow from a quiver in reverse. I am able to make a very slight turn in my seat and drop it right down. Saves a lot of time. Too, if you are going under bridges and more, the 1.5" track ball mounts are super. I like them more than any other mounting device I have tried.

Propel Drive propeller Indexer: 5. Well, I get how it is supposed to work . . . and if I had another hand, but I don't. This is just for you Native Propel kayakers. You have to lift the unit, no big deal, then use your left hand to pinch the indexer so that its blade drops to create the perfect alignment (vertical) for lifting the drive. Except, unless you are gliding forward and the propeller is free wheeling, what appendage does one have left to forward pedal the drive? No, not a foot as you are bent forward with two hands occupied. Oh! And, if you are lifting a really nasty prop with about a pound of Coontail on it, the prop will definitely not be free wheeling to make lining up the prop blades a snap. This may take some getting used to and I'll see if it gets better. But, for now, I wouldn't recommend it. Not yet.

Anchor Wizard: 8. Yes, these are really nice but mine was only temporarily mounted to my Native Propel 10 just to give it a go. It was purchased for the paddle-only kayak where it will really shine to help it hold water position. I just don't drop an anchor very often in my 10 so it takes up track I don't want to concede to it. Oh! And, it flexes the track a bit on my Propel if it is lifting a claw anchor junked up with vegetation (heavy). It doesn't gain the track rigidity as the Landing Gear does by being locked down to two sides of track. I may just carry a diving reel and a small anchor for those few cases I want to anchor out.

Small Milk Crates from Walmart: 5. They fit great, could be glued together thus forming a rectangular storage area about 6" by 12". Flimsy but one is the perfect size for a small sort of thermos looking thing I carry water in, for sunscreen; the other adjacent crate carried a fishing bag with goodies in it. I now know I have enough storage the the rear of the Landing Gear without getting on top of the rudder disc device (Native specific here), so I'll use these two crates, explore similar options. If I can find some feet, like rubber feet, to elevate an Austin Kayak crate, interference with the rudder disc would be no issue at all anyway. Using this storage and underseat storage for two Plano 3600 boxes will be more than I normally need.

Will planning and tweaking our kayaks ever cease? Gosh, I hope not! Lots of fun.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 05/28/17 11:15 AM.
Re: Recent Upgrades: Review [Re: Brad R] #12266548 05/28/17 03:02 PM
S
Struggle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Great feed back, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences!

Re: Recent Upgrades: Review [Re: Brad R] #12267097 05/29/17 12:15 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you are using the anchor to hold position a length of heavy chain might be better instead of a claw anchor in vegetation.

Just one more cast!

Re: Recent Upgrades: Review [Re: Jimbo] #12268030 05/29/17 07:28 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
If you are using the anchor to hold position a length of heavy chain might be better instead of a claw anchor in vegetation.

Agree, Jimbo. For Lake Athens and other lakes like it with heavy vegetation, a heavy chain would likely be a very good choice.

*** I went out today, "anchorless" as it was low wind and I was planning on just drifting down banks and fishing. Benny and Cory, two more kayakers were close by. I really thought I'd tear them up with the wacky rig again, but no, it ended up being a tough day. I did catch one likely just over 3 lbs. on a Keitech swimbait.

I think in the future, more often than not I will try to carry 3 rods instead of the 2 I have taking out.

Woo! Just driving my truck over, parking, and backing the kayak off the truck and onto the water, then reversing this later? Super!

Brad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide