Print Thread
Austin Urban Fishing Spots? #12265484 05/27/17 02:33 PM
F
fishr3 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
I searched the forum and Google. but could not find any Austin urban fishing reports. I've seen sunfish, bass, and carp in upper Bull Creek behind County Line BarBQ on 2222. I have also seen fish in upper Barton Creek, but so far haven't seen any fishermen. Anybody out there willing to share info on where to go. I'm new to the Austin area and just want to find a convenient place to go after work. I'm working on the northwest side near Bull Creek at TX Hwy 360. I may wander north to the San Gabriel river someday, but hope I can get a fly fishing fix locally.

Re: Austin Urban Fishing Spots? [Re: fishr3] #12265621 05/27/17 05:00 PM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Die Fische is a great resource for Austin and Hill Country fly fishing in general as is the book Fly Fishing the Texas Hill Country by Kevin Hutchinson.

The fishing is incredible in Austin, there is an abundance of public land and great access to water. If there is meaningful water, there will be fish there. You'd be shocked at some of the places in the middle of town where you can catch amazing fish. Barton Creek is incredible fishing throughout although there is a steep learning curve since the water is so clear. I was out by Lost Creek last Thursday and managed to trick this chunky Guadalupe Bass into taking my fly last Thursday.

Bull Creek District Park on Lakewood is my go to spot for sunfish action with a two weight. I have caught some great bass and sunfish in Shoal Creek behind the restaurant Shoal Creek Saloon. St. Edwards Park up Spicewood Springs Road has some very giant bass in the deep holes if you can trick them. Brushy Creek in Round Rock has a lot of nice fish but keep your eyes open for snakes as well. If you've got time, head south and fish the San Marcos, Blanco, and Guadalupe rivers, there are some good public access points and since it is a tailwater the Guadalupe fishes very well in the summer for bass but you've got to get up early to beat the tubers.

I would really urge you to get out and just start exploring, the water around Austin really makes it very special and the fishing can't be beat.

Re: Austin Urban Fishing Spots? [Re: fishr3] #12274103 06/02/17 12:12 AM
T
TioPick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I have not fished it but if you go upstream on Bull Creek from the Couunty Line BBQ there is a nice park with pool. Before you get to 360. I have visited it many times. On the weekend it could be too crowded to fish the park part during the day but in midweek in the evenings you could do well. Most likely too much brush up or down stream from the park but good luck.
Tio Pick

Re: Austin Urban Fishing Spots? [Re: fishr3] #12282842 06/07/17 04:06 PM
F
fishr3 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Thanks for the replies. All I needed was someone to tell me that there are fish in the creeks and I'll be motivated to fish. We got a good rain yesterday and the creeks got flushed. I fished Brushy creek and the banks of Walter E. Long lake last week. Bull Creek, Barton Creek, and Brushy Creek are going to be on my short list, but I'm also planning to explore Onion Creek, San Gabriel, and Colorado river.

I am haunted by waters!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide