Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
XI5/Lowrance question #12261305 05/24/17 09:26 PM
A
ACAMS Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
A
If you have two Lowrance finders hooked up and running one off the trolling motor and one off the back of the boat and you select "Go To Waypoint" can you tell it which transducer to use?

><\\\(º>___><\\\(º> http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/Jigs.php_<º)///><___<º)///><

Free image uploader for TFF members: http://myfolderz.com/TFF/pics.php
Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12261400 05/24/17 10:37 PM
S
Sangelle Offline
Angler
Angler
S
It doesn't use the transducer. It uses it's own gps

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12261406 05/24/17 10:38 PM
S
Sangelle Offline
Angler
Angler
S
To further clarify, waypoints are long and lat coridinates.

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12261409 05/24/17 10:40 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
If both finders and the xi5 are networked, you can tell the trolling motor to go to
a waypoint from either machine.

you can look at any transducer from either machine,
I am just now learning the ins and outs of this network thing,

I am looking forward to fishing from under the bimini top this summer and running the
TM from the console.

Mo

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: Sangelle] #12261933 05/25/17 04:19 AM
A
ACAMS Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Sangelle
It doesn't use the transducer. It uses it's own gps

They all three have GPS sensors ...... can I tell it to use the troller GPS, or the front fish finder from the console unit?

I will have all 3 connected with NMEA 2000 ..... IF IT WORKS THAT WAY!!!!

><\\\(º>___><\\\(º> http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/Jigs.php_<º)///><___<º)///><

Free image uploader for TFF members: http://myfolderz.com/TFF/pics.php
Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12262074 05/25/17 12:16 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
It took me a while to wrap my head around it , too.
The way I understand it, the finder sends the waypoint data to the trolling motor.
So which ever one you are using to control the TM , that unit sends the data to the TM. , the TM doesn't store any data. Except the 8 presents on the handheld remote. I don't know if those are stored on the remote or in the TM head , does not really matter.
Clear as mud ?
Here is something else to worry about. .
If your console unit is running a transducer on the transom, you mark a waypoint , it will be off by the distance from the console unit to the transom. About 10 feet in my case. I just bought an external GPS antenna to mount right over the transom transducer. Now when I mark something on the console, the waypoint will be right on target.

Good luck
Mo

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12262167 05/25/17 01:13 PM
fagin007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The way I understand it is that my XI5 just goes to the coordinates that the Lowrance says to go to which works for me because when I fish off the front of my boat i am right on top of the brush pile that I marked on the console so BINGO FISH ON!!!

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: fagin007] #12262175 05/25/17 01:20 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: fagin007
The way I understand it is that my XI5 just goes to the coordinates that the Lowrance says to go to which works for me because when I fish off the front of my boat i am right on top of the brush pile that I marked on the console so BINGO FISH ON!!!

But still, without an external antenna, any waypoints you set with the console will be off by the distance
From the console unit to its transducer.
your mileage may vary smile.
Mo

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12262813 05/25/17 07:43 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Boat 1: Any Lowrance units at bow and console that communicate with Xi5. This means you have a NEMA network and Motorguide Gateway. Transducer at bow and stern. No external GPS (Point-1).

Each unit (console/bow) are set to mark wpts where that unit resides because this feature (marking wpts) uses the internal GPS of that unit. The console unit could be set to use the GPS of the bow and vice versa but this is not what this explanation is about.

The Xi5 is capabable of storing 'x' nbr of wpts too, which cannot be shared with the units. Ignore for this explanation.

Boat 2: Any Lowrance units at bow and console that communicate with Xi5. This means you have a NEMA network and Motorguide Gateway. Transducer at bow and stern. External GPS (Point-1) is installed at the stern near the transducer.

Each unit (console/bow) are set to mark wpts where that unit's GPS resides. In this case, the bow unit uses its internal GPS BUT the console uses the Point-1 GPS at the stern, which is menu selection/option. The console unit could be set to use the GPS of the bow and vice versa but this is not what this explanation is about.

The Xi5 is capabable of storing 'x' nbr of wpts too, which cannot be shared with the units. Ignore for this explanation.
------------------------------------------------

Now visualize a boat sitting perfectly still with a pole in the water at the bow (A), side of console (B) and one at the stern (C).

Wpts are set at the bow and at the console (because the internal GPS is used) respectively. And because units are NEMA connected, the bow wpt is marked on the console unit and the console wpt is marked on the bow unit.

Boat 1 moves 100 yds. away. The Skipper, using the bow unit tells the TM to go to A. TM goes to pole A. Skipper moves off 100 yds and using the console unit, tells the TM to go to pole B. TM goes to pole B. The bow is at pole B and the console is some feet away (distance between console unit and bow unit). Skipper moves off again, and using the console tells TM to go to pole A wpt. Remember, the console stored this wpt because of NEMA. TM takes off and the bow is now at pole A although the console unit was used. Skipper moves off once again and wants the TM to go to pole C. Skipper realizes he can't because there in no pole C in this scenario simply because there is no external GPS. The GPS is at the console and bow. And now the Skipper realizes TM will always be off x feet from the wpt if using the stern transducer used to mark wpt.

In other words, pole C cannot come into play without moving the boat.

Now visualize Boat 2 with Point-1 sitting perfectly still with a pole in the water at the bow (A), side of console (B) and one at the stern (C).

Wpts are set at the bow and at the console respectively, however the console is using the external GPS so the wpt is marked at the stern (almost exactly where the transom transducer is located). And because units are NEMA connected, the bow wpt is marked on the console unit and the console wpt from the Point-1 (stern) is marked on the bow unit.

Boat 2 moves 100 yds. away. The Skipper, using the bow unit tells the TM to go to A. TM goes to pole A. Skipper moves off 100 yds and using the console unit, tells the TM to go to pole C. TM goes to pole C. The bow is at pole C. Skipper moves off again, and using the console tells TM to go to pole A wpt. Remember, the console stored this wpt because of NEMA. TM takes off and the bow is now at pole A although the console unit was used. Skipper moves off once again and wants the TM to go to pole B. Skipper realizes he can't because there in no pole B in this scenario simply because the internal GPS was not used. Skipper now realizes he could have had wpt B marked if he had realized the following.

Pole B did not come into play BUT can! If the skipper had wanted pole B to be marked, the console unit using menus, could have been changed to use 'this unit' instead of Point-1 to mark pole B's wpt. Then the Skipper actually could have had poles A, B, and C marked because 1) external GPS is available and by 2) changing the unit's GPS selection to 'this unit', not external after having marked pole C's wpt. I wouldn't do this but as an example, remember we are sitting still. I would have moved the bow to pole B to simply mark the wpt. I would find this much easier than finagling with the menus.

-----------------------------------
Some will say Point-1 at stern, or maybe the bow, and still others will have two, one each at the bow/stern. Just depends on how you want it to work for you and $.

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12262947 05/25/17 08:53 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
My head hurts now

Thanks.
Mo

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: UJC] #12262999 05/25/17 09:41 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted By: UJC
Boat 1: Any Lowrance units at bow and console that communicate with Xi5. This means you have a NEMA network and Motorguide Gateway. Transducer at bow and stern. No external GPS (Point-1).

Each unit (console/bow) are set to mark wpts where that unit resides because this feature (marking wpts) uses the internal GPS of that unit. The console unit could be set to use the GPS of the bow and vice versa but this is not what this explanation is about.

Boat 2: Any Lowrance units at bow and console that communicate with Xi5. This means you have a NEMA network and Motorguide Gateway. Transducer at bow and stern. External GPS (Point-1) is installed at the stern near the transducer.

Each unit (console/bow) are set to mark wpts where that unit's GPS resides. In this case, the bow unit uses its internal GPS BUT the console uses the Point-1 GPS at the stern, which is menu selection/option. The console unit could be set to use the GPS of the bow and vice versa but this is not what this explanation is about.

------------------------------------------------

Now visualize a boat sitting perfectly still with a pole in the water at the bow (A), side of console (B) and one at the stern (C).

Wpts are set at the bow and at the console (because the internal GPS is used) respectively. And because units are NEMA connected, the bow wpt is marked on the console unit and the console wpt is marked on the bow unit.

Boat 1 moves 100 yds. away. The Skipper, using the bow unit tells the TM to go to A. TM goes to pole A. Skipper moves off 100 yds and using the console unit, tells the TM to go to pole B. TM goes to pole B. The bow is at pole B and the console is some feet away (distance between console unit and bow unit). Skipper moves off again, and using the console tells TM to go to pole A wpt. Remember, the console stored this wpt because of NEMA. TM takes off and the bow is now at pole A although the console unit was used. Skipper moves off once again and wants the TM to go to pole C. Skipper realizes he can't because there in no pole C in this scenario simply because there is no external GPS. The GPS is at the console and bow. And now the Skipper realizes TM will always be off x feet from the wpt if using the stern transducer used to mark wpt.

In other words, pole C cannot come into play without moving the boat.

Now visualize Boat 2 with Point-1 sitting perfectly still with a pole in the water at the bow (A), side of console (B) and one at the stern (C).

Wpts are set at the bow and at the console respectively, however the console is using the external GPS so the wpt is marked at the stern (almost exactly where the transom transducer is located). And because units are NEMA connected, the bow wpt is marked on the console unit and the console wpt from the Point-1 (stern) is marked on the bow unit.

Boat 2 moves 100 yds. away. The Skipper, using the bow unit tells the TM to go to A. TM goes to pole A. Skipper moves off 100 yds and using the console unit, tells the TM to go to pole C. TM goes to pole C. The bow is at pole C. Skipper moves off again, and using the console tells TM to go to pole A wpt. Remember, the console stored this wpt because of NEMA. TM takes off and the bow is now at pole A although the console unit was used. Skipper moves off once again and wants the TM to go to pole B. Skipper realizes he can't because there in no pole B in this scenario simply because the internal GPS was not used. Skipper now realizes he could have had wpt B marked if he had realized the following.

Pole B did not come into play BUT can! If the skipper had wanted pole B to be marked, the console unit using menus, could have been changed to use 'this unit' instead of Point-1 to mark pole B's wpt. Then the Skipper actually could have had poles A, B, and C marked because 1) external GPS is available and by 2) changing the unit's GPS selection to 'this unit', not external after having marked pole C's wpt. I wouldn't do this but as an example, remember we are sitting still. I would have moved the bow to pole B to simply mark the wpt. I would find this much easier than finagling with the menus.

-----------------------------------
Some will say Point-1 at stern, or maybe the bow, and still others will have two, one each at the bow/stern. Just depends on how you want it to work for you and $.

I have been wondering this scenario also. Maybe I'm wrong. My thinking is the external antenna should be over the transducer on the transom. If a pile is showing up on your graph because you are right over it. If you mark it, isn't your mark off the distance from your transducer to your console? If you move console external antenna up front, isn't it magnified?

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12263126 05/25/17 11:07 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Enter scroll speed of the head unit. Slow scroll speed by the time it shows on screen it is already some distance behind you. How far is the question. Easy test. Roll by under a bridge where you can see the columns and then look for when they show up on side scan. At slow scroll speed you may be 10- 20 yards past before they show up on screen. This is where the touch screen comes in handy. Touch and mark the spot on screen and then let the equipment find that waypoint and forget about what shows up on screen when you get there. Confused? I am smile

Last edited by Muzzlebrake; 05/25/17 11:12 PM.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: Mo] #12263157 05/25/17 11:25 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: Mo
My head hurts now

Thanks.
Mo

roflmao

Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12263239 05/26/17 12:37 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
And this is what happens when you get too much technology on the boat. The crappie turn upside down and wont' bite. roflmao
Think I'll just go fish flag

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: XI5/Lowrance question [Re: ACAMS] #12263910 05/26/17 01:45 PM
Jacob Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This is why I didn't worry about getting it networked. I've got my "milk run" piles saved to the memory channels. When I want to find a different one, I get close with the big motor, throw the trolling motor down and when I see the pile coming up on the sonar on the bow, I hit anchor. You're always going to catch it in the cone of the front sonar before you're actually on top of it anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide