Page 1 of 2 1 2
Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop #12259747 05/24/17 12:07 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I picked up my Native Propel 10 this morning so I took some pics, will discuss the items.

I had them add the Native version of Boonedox's Landing Gear. It is mounted to the tank well tracks. It feels very solid, no wiggle at all.

My original intention was to install two flush mounted rod holders; but, the Landing Gear has a really good track and it was so close to the bulkhead behind the seat, I elected to mount 2 Tube rod holders on 1.5" track balls. These can swivel in any direction. Cool!

I now have a bit of track in a convenient place (away from my left handed casting area) to mount my flag/light pole.

I have had this Anchor Wizard for awhile now, decided to install it on the 10. It sits on the track about around where my left knee is.

It utilizes my previous no-drill, track-mounted anchor trolley comprising a Harken Pulley system and a Z Cleat. So far, so good.

I also installed the new indexer that helps one line up the prop blades so that they lift smoothly and quickly. On my lake, this is a big deal.

I carry my Werner Paddle on a cool little device I bought quite some time ago from TheKayakFIshingStore called The Perfect Paddle Park. It releases super fast, holds great.

No pic, but I also replaced the plastic clip on the seat straps with metal ones from TheKayakFishingStore.

All that is left to do is I need to order replacement pads for the cockpit area. One is worn a bit.

I also have the underseat storage and I can carry 2 3600 Plano boxes and it also has 4 pockets where I can carry fish grips, my brush clip, pliers, etc.

I have one more track mounted RailBlaza rod holder by my right knee, and I have a water holder than mounts to the top of my drive unit.

Whew! Almost all updated!

I absolutely love this rubberized wire. I think I found this years ago at Bass Pro Shop. You can use it to secure things very fast just by twisting it around things. Great!

And, for the best bang for the buck, I have used Tackle Webs rear seat back velcro sealed storage for several years. A great place to carry sunscreen, maps, etc.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 05/24/17 12:10 AM.
Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12259755 05/24/17 12:11 AM
S
Struggle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Very nice!

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12259758 05/24/17 12:12 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Oh! And, I added the new rudder system, too, using the stock rudder but new mechanicals and a different cabling system.

Brad

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12260598 05/24/17 03:15 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Looks really nice and well thought out! thumb

Just one more cast!

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12260782 05/24/17 04:41 PM
B
BassFever Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Looking Sweet. All the add'ons can add up quickly. Looks like you've done a great job.

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: BassFever] #12261060 05/24/17 07:11 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: BassFever
Looking Sweet. All the add'ons can add up quickly. Looks like you've done a great job.

They really do! And, this from me, the supposed "finesse" guy.

But, I am normally thinking about the number of rods, the amount of tackle we take along. In this, I am really pretty stark carrying out 1 to 3 rods, a few Plano boxes.

Most of my recent adds related to updating an older model with some of the newer features. Too, I was getting ahead a bit on the new rudder control knowing that lots of people had issues with the cables breaking.

Figuring out convenient storage always helps and so does getting the rods mounted and within reach.

Can't wait to try it out, see how much time I might save, aggravation too, using the Landing Gear.

Brad

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12261217 05/24/17 08:38 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Brad do you have any better pictures of your anchor system?

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Shaun Russell] #12261242 05/24/17 08:48 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Shaun, I'll go out a bit later and take some better photos and post them here.

I highly recommend the set-up for anyone with tracks. It mean no holes to drill and that it can be totally removed, or moved to the other side, etc.

Brad

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12261247 05/24/17 08:50 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Thanks. Do you have it running through your anchor trolley?

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12261589 05/25/17 12:50 AM
W
Warhawk Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Very nice Brad, clean set up. I still haven't convinced myself to go for the Boonedox landing gear, mainly because I'm not 100% sure I'm sticking with the SP10 but that's another story.

The rocket launchers will be MUCH better than the flush mounts. Also very useful up front as a trolling rod holder.

I use a Werner paddle on my paddle kayak, but all I use on the Propel is a little cheapo canoe paddle. Much smaller and I just stick it under the seat.

I'm hoping to get my SP10 out tomorrow, get it cleaned up and rigged up. Momma says she wants to go out in the kayaks this weekend. And she's anxious to try the Propel.

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12261817 05/25/17 02:46 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Hmm? I thought I posted some pics before I left??? Oh well.

Warhawk, agreed on the rocket launchers - I can also use one for a net. And, they allow me to position the rods at any angle I choose from vertical to almost horizontal like if I know I am going under branches or a low bridge.

Photos and comments on the anchor trolley:

This is looking bow and back where you can see the Anchor Wizard, then the Harken Track-mounted Pulley, then a Z-Cleat and the line running back to the rear of the tankwell track where the second pulley is located. The Anchor Wizard line would be run through the big O Ring (seen best in one of the other pics below) and down to the actual anchor. The O Ring would be pushed or pulled forward or backward to a desired location, then the anchor trolley line would be locked in place with the Z Cleat. And, the Anchor Wizard, itself, locks the anchor line from letting any more line out. This is the way you position where on the side from bow to stern your anchor will pull.

Typically, most kayakers would want the anchor line to run off the stern of the vessel to keep from casting over it if it were up off the bow. I don't run my anchor trolley forward because I always want to "swing" bow away from the anchor. Oh! And, I don't have any track up there either. But, if you look at lots of anchor trolley installations, often they are from mid vessel to the rear.

This is the rear view and you can see the second pulley better. Now, the amount of slack in the trolley line is totally adjustable just by loosening one or both pulleys and bringing them closer together or farther apart. Or, you can slide the whole thing off the tracks to make room for something else.

Here in a side view, you can see that I don't have the trolley line locked down in the Z cleat so it hangs down a bit. Normally, when it is not in use, I'd run it through the Z cleat to secure it and take the slack out. But, if I am anchoring out, I like a bit of slack in it. I can adjust this easily as mentioned before.

Hope this helps!

Brad

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12262343 05/25/17 02:48 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I really like that wind up anchor. Where did you find it?

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Shaun Russell] #12262581 05/25/17 05:10 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
This is called the Anchor Wizard. I think almost all of the better shops carry them or via online sources. I bought mine when I bought the Cuda Lt down in Houston.

Watch a few YouTube vids to see if it will work for you!

My intention was to mount this on my Cuda Lt paddle only kayak. Why? Because my Propel 10 is so easy to manage and holds water position so well, I rarely need to drop an anchor. But, I wanted to give it a good workout so I'll keep it on the 10 for now.

I am like everyone else: I don't want a large hank of anchor rope lying by my feet all knotted up. This is one way to solve that issue. And, it is really fast to deploy and to pick it back up. It makes anchoring a pleasure.

For a paddle kayak where one might have a few more issues, a few more circumstances where anchoring would hold you on water better, I think this would be essential.

My Cuda Lt, sadly, doesn't really have a place to mount it within reach but outside of my normal paddle stroke, so I am going to have Kevin dismuke mock me up something to mount it on just back and to the side of my seat.

*** One other good alternative for a wind-up sort of anchor retrieve would be a diving reel. See below for link.

Brad
Diving reel example

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12262606 05/25/17 05:21 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I do like the "diving reel" option and the price is right too. But I'm afraid if the reel wasn't mounted it would just be thrown down by my feet and just be lost in the clutter.

I did find a video of using the anchor wizard with the anchor trolly though.
I believe this would be a cool set up.
Trolly/Anchor wizard

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Shaun Russell] #12262853 05/25/17 07:58 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell
I do like the "diving reel" option and the price is right too. But I'm afraid if the reel wasn't mounted it would just be thrown down by my feet and just be lost in the clutter.

I did find a video of using the anchor wizard with the anchor trolly though.
I believe this would be a cool set up.
Trolly/Anchor wizard

Yes, that is essentially how mine works. An anchor trolley just adjusts the positions to anchor from. You can drop an anchor directly off the side, then "clothesline" it back to the rear, let out a bit more anchor line and you are set to go.

Brad

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide