Forums59
Topics1,039,187
Posts13,960,641
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12255026 05/21/17 12:23 AM
Bruce Allen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
It has to do with their perception of how long the fry will last before they think they will begin to die. That is why they put oxygen in the bags of fish like is done with some shiners you buy. They figured that the fry would live at least an hour.

When they were stocking by boat, which was not very often they felt they had to dump the fish no more than one mile from the ramp.

That is what the fisheries biologist told me. I believe him.

I spent several hours in his boat back in the spring while we were planting button bushes in cowhead and glade. I have known him for a number of years and have no reason the disbelieve what he has said.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12255358 05/21/17 11:03 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
At least one tracking study found that caught bass that were tagged so they could be followed would return to the areas of the lake they came from. I'm not sure how bass do this, but I know birds and butterflies and homing pigeons and salmon do it, so maybe not as developed as in these species, but . . .

Well, one suggestion related to sensory powers in bass said they can "smell" even things down to one part per million and use this power as a clue to navigate home.

If so, I generally like the idea of a broad dispersal of fingerlings. And, back in the coves and other protected areas with lots of vegetation to hide in makes perfect sense. If it doubles or triples survival rates from predation, this will pay off dividends in a few years.

I have only seen it once, when TPWD came out and dumped about 200,000 walleye fingerlings into Wheeler Branch.

Pretty cool! Glad to see they are working on improving protocols to increase the odds of survival!

Brad

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12256016 05/21/17 10:09 PM
F
Fish USA! Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
i cant get the www.LFSA.com site to work?

Thanks
Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12256808 05/22/17 01:54 PM
Bruce Allen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I know of two studies done regarding the movement of bass back to the area where they were caught despite what BASS says. One in Maryland and Virginia and the other at Lake Fork. Both are at least 30 years old.

For the Lake Fork Sportsman's Assoc website go to www.lakeforksa.com/

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12257504 05/22/17 07:54 PM
B
blackhawk Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I know for a fact that TPWD boat stocks fingerlings. The biologist meet the hatchery truck at the ramp and take the fingerlings to be stocked into the best suitable habitat. Yes there is some consideration as to how far the fingerlings can safely be left in the hauling tank, and for that reason TPWD alternates the ramps where they send the hatchery truck to. Just because the hatchery truck is sitting at the boat ramp does not mean that all of the fish are stocked at or near that boat ramp. Only the last few fish that can't be easily collected and moved to the biologist boat are actually stocked at the ramp.

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12257595 05/22/17 09:03 PM
N
NoWeighers Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
In the last ten years I have been physically involved in at least ten stocking efforts and have had intimate knowledge of many others.

Of course these were 95% on Falcon.

The vast majority of these fish have been spread out to the best available cover when delivered..

But there have been several times when the fish were stocked at the ramps available.

Some reasons being that it was a small load of fish, or there were no techs available to accompany the delivery truck that day. Or boat problems, etc.

I believe that utilizing the public is a great way to get some ownership feeling to a lot of folks that truly love their lake.

I believe that the more TPWD gets the public involved in day to day operations the better the relationship with the public will become.

And I think that scattering the fish to the four winds on any lake is a marvelous thing..

Kudos to you guys for volunteering and getting it done..

James Bendele
Falcon Lake Tackle
"On the eighth day, Man invented the Fish Hook."
Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12259504 05/23/17 09:19 PM
D
dentonian Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Last week they stocked over 220,000 pure Florida strain fingerlings (38mm very tiny) into Lake Ray Roberts. TPWD boats equipped with four 50 gallon aireated containers met the stocking trucks at the boat ramps at Pecan Creek and Isle d Bois to carry the fingerlings out to nearby spots with plenty of flooded cover.

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12260391 05/24/17 01:30 PM
Lance Vick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Bruce it's been mentioned already
But I believe if you want to grow super bass learn how to
Cultivate Hydrilla so when you stock it with super bass they have a place to grown and live and spread. Out
I'm not talking about the little bit we have, I'm
Talking bring hydrilla back on the whole lake

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Lance Vick] #12260469 05/24/17 02:13 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted By: Lance Vick

Cultivate Hydrilla so when you stock it with super bass they have a place to grown and live and spread. Out

This!!!!!

They've been stocking the lake for years now. It's done no good. I think its been very noticeable that the number of fish over 13 lbs. has drastically fallen over the years. It started with the loss of hydrilla all over the lake and then the virus that hit after didn't help matters. But the key ingredient that the lake is missing that it had back in the 90's is hydrilla all over the lake.

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Sinkey] #12260641 05/24/17 03:37 PM
K.D. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Sinkey
Originally Posted By: Lance Vick

This!!!!!

They've been stocking the lake for years now. It's done no good. I think its been very noticeable that the number of fish over 13 lbs. has drastically fallen over the years. It started with the loss of hydrilla all over the lake and then the virus that hit after didn't help matters. But the key ingredient that the lake is missing that it had back in the 90's is hydrilla all over the lake.

I think it goes a little further than that too. Back in the day before Internet forums when we got all our info in that little weekly paper magazine I remember reading the reason Fork was so fertile was because of all the dairy farms around the lake. All that run off from the farms made for some very fertile waters.

Now fast forward to today and with all the RV parks, marinas and houses and you can imagine the water isn't nearly as fertile as it once was. The number of docks now on the lake is amazing

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12260740 05/24/17 04:21 PM
A
AgSellers04 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
The major problem with allowing hydrilla or any other invasive species of aquatic vegetation to establish beyond reasonable control into the reservoir is that vegetation does, in fact, take up space. Furthermore, it doesn't just take up a little bit of space, it takes up an enormous amount of volume when an infestation occurs. That space occupies space that would otherwise be taken up by water. Even though aquatic plants are 99% water, that water is locked up in the plant at any given point in time. Further yet, water gets lost to evapotranspiration, in the case of emergent aquatic vegetation such as hyacinth or water lilies. Even further yet, the chemistry of a body of water is altered dramatically in the presence of large amounts of vegetation. When efforts have to be made to remove, or kill large amounts of vegetation all at once, it can be devastating to a body of water. The added sediment alone is a nightmare for water treatment.

The reservoir is there to store water, plain and simple. The managing authority cannot afford to allow invasive vegetation to take away that much volume from the reservoir, or to lose the water quality. A healthy balance of aquatic vegetation must be maintained and hydrilla is very difficult to control and keep balanced. Keeping native vegetation under control is difficult enough. When hydrilla comes into the picture, it not only pushes out all the natives, it damages the water and substrate chemistry to the point where it is more difficult for natives to re-establish after it is removed or killed. Regardless of the benefits the hydrilla may have to the overall aquatic ecosystem and the resultant quality of the fishing, boost to local economy, and so forth, that is a blip in comparison to the value the reservoir has to flood control and water supply.

To use just one example, the cost of that big shiny new pump station and pipeline behind the dam was right around $200 million. That is just one example of one water control project, albeit a big one, at that reservoir. To compare, the entire annual budget for Texas Parks and Wildlife comes it at right around $375 million every year (give or take 25 million); a fraction of which goes to inland fisheries.

To get back to the subject at hand here, what should be done is to allow native aquatic vegetation to establish healthily into the reservoir and then place the little fingerlings into said masses of native vegetation. Big dreams, big dreams, I know.

PBs

LMB- 11 lbs., 7 oz. Falcon

Striper- 40 lb. Long Is. Sound
BlueCat- 30 lb. Texoma
Hybrid-8.2 lb. Lewisville
Cutthroat Trout-22" Yellowstone R, WY
Rainbow Trout- 21" Blitzen R, OR
Steelhead- 8 lb. Umpqua R, OR
Redfish-20 lb. Panama C. Bay, FL

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12261018 05/24/17 06:51 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Fork was a lot cleaner and clearer with the hydrilla in it. Trust me!

Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12261031 05/24/17 06:58 PM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Lake Fertilizer isn't hard to find.....

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Stocking Lake Fork done from a layman's perspective [Re: Bruce Allen] #12261041 05/24/17 07:05 PM
R
RedEar12 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Dock owners sprinkling chemicals anytime they see any type of aquatic vegetation has not helped Fork.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide