Print Thread
7 nice fish, then a "turtle." #12254859 05/20/17 09:10 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
My Jackson Cuda Lt has leaked badly since the day I bought it; but the warranty guys are really polite and agreed to replace the hull if needed. The first time out several months ago, when I got back and lifted it overhead, I felt the added weight ( a couple of gallons of water) and how difficult it was to hold with water sloshing back and forth. I carted it up to the house. What was normally a very light kayak was a very heavy kayak. 2 gallons or so of water will do that.

So, with my Propel 10 in the shop for upgrades and service, I told Brandon at Jackson Kayaks that I'd try again to isolate where the water is entering the bilge area. I left at 7:45AM and, gosh, this kayak is super fast (when it is dry inside), then by 12:45 PM it was holding lots of water.

I had caught 7 bass, one 4 pounder on a Wacky rig, got tangled up with a lily pad, so I pulled myself over to it via the fishing line, leaned left to pull the pad off to remove the hook . . . BOOM . . . over I went.

What did I forget? That 2 gallons of water shifted with me and sloshed over that direction.

*** It sounds like it'll have to be replaced, the hull that is, but I wanted to mention that this is one really fast and light vessel.

I am pretty certain that my top end speed in the Cuda Lt is likely at least 1 MPG > than the Propel 10. It really moves!

Anyway, a "test" day and a really good fishing day . . . ended upside down.

Brad

P.S. if my camera dries out and works, I'll post a pic of the 4 pounder later.

Re: 7 nice fish, then a "turtle." [Re: Brad R] #12254944 05/20/17 10:43 PM
P
PowerLizard Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
The easiest way to find the leak is to partially fill the kayak with water, rotate it around and look for the water escaping. If you live in a house, use a garden hose to put water in the kayak while it is on a clean dry garage floor.

Re: 7 nice fish, then a "turtle." [Re: PowerLizard] #12255097 05/21/17 01:15 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: PowerLizard
The easiest way to find the leak is to partially fill the kayak with water, rotate it around and look for the water escaping. If you live in a house, use a garden hose to put water in the kayak while it is on a clean dry garage floor.

PowerLizard,

I may give that a try! Whatever it is, it isn't subtle as that is quite a lot of water.

The Jackson Cuda Lt is thermo-formed ABS, not roto-molded polyethylene so it has two "shells" that formed by pressing the heated up ABS into the desired shape, then the two are glued together. But, there is no obvious issues with the caulking.

And, it has a black piece of hard plastic that fits down into the area under the seat and in the cockpit, sort of a hard shell floor mat. My best guess is the culprit is below the black plastic, between it and the hull ABS material.

With my Werner paddle, when it isn't lugging around 20 lbs. of water sloshing around, it is really fast. And, it is so light, I just flip it up over my head and carry it down to the water.

Brad

Re: 7 nice fish, then a "turtle." [Re: Brad R] #12255189 05/21/17 02:19 AM
J
JCG57 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
My 10-year-old Manta leaked almost from the day I bought it. Leak has gotten a little worse over the years, but even after a half day on rough water I only get about two pints of water in the cavity. Two gallons is a lot of water. I have tried putting the yak on the driveway and filling the cavity with water to see where it leaks - nothing. Then, putting scupper plugs in and filling the seating area with water to see if it leaked into the cavity - nope. Concluded that the leak must be in one or more of the scupper columns, which from what I understand are tough to repair. I just bring a sponge with me and after fishing sponge it dry.

Re: 7 nice fish, then a "turtle." [Re: JCG57] #12255352 05/21/17 10:29 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: JCG57
My 10-year-old Manta leaked almost from the day I bought it. Leak has gotten a little worse over the years, but even after a half day on rough water I only get about two pints of water in the cavity. Two gallons is a lot of water. I have tried putting the yak on the driveway and filling the cavity with water to see where it leaks - nothing. Then, putting scupper plugs in and filling the seating area with water to see if it leaked into the cavity - nope. Concluded that the leak must be in one or more of the scupper columns, which from what I understand are tough to repair. I just bring a sponge with me and after fishing sponge it dry.

JCG57, Your thoughts are exactly as mine: I think it has to do with the scuppers.

I did invert my kayak, then I plugged the scuppers and poured water into them and it slowly disappears for the two in the front, then disappears rather fast for the two under the seat. The black plastic flooring material fits down into the scupper so it creates a seam. I can't tell if it is caulked there, or not, but if water can "back up" and into the space between the flooring and the the ABS, from there it has to end up inside the "bilge" area. Since the floor piece is screwed down and glued, too, I have no access to check it out.

Since other than the typical paddle wash, nothing else coming over the gunwales, almost 2 gallons of water just doesn't seem plausible coming in over the top.

I was sure surprised the first-ever time I took it down, carried it 100 yds half pressed overhead down to the water. Easy. Not so much when I got home after several hours on the water with a whole lot of water inside sloshing around. It make carrying it, its primary attribute tied to its lightness, almost impossible.

I'll report back on the warranty process.

Brad

Re: 7 nice fish, then a "turtle." [Re: Brad R] #12255363 05/21/17 11:16 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I wonder if you could plug the scuppers from the bottom side? They make those scupper plugs and maybe if you had a tight fit they would stay in place and not let any water come in. You'd still have the other scuppers to drain the deck if necessary.

Re: 7 nice fish, then a "turtle." [Re: karstopo] #12255382 05/21/17 11:48 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: karstopo
I wonder if you could plug the scuppers from the bottom side? They make those scupper plugs and maybe if you had a tight fit they would stay in place and not let any water come in. You'd still have the other scuppers to drain the deck if necessary.

Karstopo,

That'd likely do the trick if the water is coming "up" and into the vessel via the scuppers, then working its way down into the bilge somehow. Water from just normal activity would still likely work its way in from the deck. But, it'd be hard to ensure the plugs wouldn't pop out.

I think this will be resolved by Jackson's warranty, a good one, and they have been very supportive trying to help isolate and correct the problem.

Water encroachment! It is like having a roof leak and trying to determine where it is coming from! Often, it is hard to tell.

Brad

Re: 7 nice fish, then a "turtle." [Re: Brad R] #12255717 05/21/17 04:37 PM
J
JCG57 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J

The scuppers under or near the seat are the most likely to leak, since that is where most of the strain is when you sit in the yak. I have tried plugging mine from the bottom and that helped reduce the leakage into the cavity. Think I will try some waterproof tape and see how that works.

Re: 7 nice fish, then a "turtle." [Re: JCG57] #12256010 05/21/17 10:01 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Yes, it was the starboard side under-seat scupper that one can just pour water into and it goes somewhere.

Taping the bottom of the scuppers is a great idea. I'll get it back out on the water again soon . . . I just won't lean over to pull on a lily pad!

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 05/21/17 10:03 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide