texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,757
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Flatheads in North Texas #12252721 05/19/17 03:20 AM
T
Thunk Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Does anyone fish for flatheads with rod and reel and catch them consistently? Is there one lake or river better than the other? I know Lewisville has them as well as Palestine. Just curious because I haven't fished them since I've moved here but did when I was in west Texas.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Flatheads in North Texas [Re: Thunk] #12254865 05/20/17 09:14 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I know of a few, in fact, some are even bass fisher-men/women who like to fish for Yellows on the side. However, due to my honoring privacy, you would have to link with them on the side. So the best way to see if you get a response for tips as to R-n-R on Yellows (YC), you might post in my Catfish Calendar thread very soon before I post the June calendar at the end of May. And if you do, I will make reference to your preceding post, so some might back up.

They note the consistency due to the help of my timing in <Lynn's Catfish Calendar>. Refer to the YC days of the Calendar & also my PYC (Personal YellowCat) days added to the Calendar due to my experience of the hidden pattern of Yellows (YC). Some key in on the YC days, and some key in on the PYC days. But some key in on both.

I remember back in 1979-1980 when I had 2 YellowCat teachers share their knowledge & experience, plus running with them & also their reports (catches with others in those years). I still was not catching Yellows even though I had a wealth of YC knowledge. But with that knowledge & a yearning to succeed, I landed a job in 1981-1982 that brought me into a critical "timing" of the Yellows. I wondered if I had discovered a pattern that was consistent in the YellowCat. As I researched more, I realized I had discovered a calendar, a timing of feeding built into the Yellows & Gator Gars as well. I also found a looser (has a little more variation) pattern in BlueCats (BC). I also found that Blues hit fairly well also on the YC Days. Since I have started the PYC days listing (separate from the Calendar, but based on the YC patterns & my experience), the PYC days may or may not reflect on Blues. Sorry, not enough data to say one way or another just yet.

Someone recently asked me here in person (not online) if it worked just in Lake Limestone, or Texas, or elsewhere. I explained it works anywhere, as to my understanding. I know for sure it works in Texas & Oklahoma, as I have reports from people saying it does. One may be using it in Wisconsin, but I have not heard from them in awhile.

I hope to link up with someone in Europe to try it there as well. The closest thing to a YellowCat is what is called the Wels Cat & the Sheatfish, which grow even larger (up to about 250 pounds). They resemble a YellowCat here up to about the dorsal fin (as to head & front portion), but then taper out thinner. Their mid to tail resemble more of an eel type look. It weould be interesting to see if they are that closely related to our YC here & use the same patterns.

The TFF is where I post the monthly calendar every month for free. But I just compiled the printed 2017 Calendar wirebound ("Hard Copy"). It is available for $17.00 plus shipping. You can PM me for further details. It maps out thru the end of December. We hope to have the Flat Wall calendars set up in the next week. Art at OfficeMax was to get with Adam to get assistance on them & the "mini-cals".

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Flatheads in North Texas [Re: Thunk] #12255064 05/21/17 12:48 AM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Give thanks to the noodling sport for jacking up alot of the former flathead honey holes
Argue or not its definitely taking its toll on many lakes
Most are greedy and keep everything they catch,alot of pressure on the life cycle(growing one up) for dang sure
If its over 20# let it live for the seed potential every season
Alot of our west Texas holes didnt produce much of anything this season(caught alot of eaters under 10#
But the pigs just didnt happen,likely because of the pressure the last 3-5 yrs of the noodling fad impact
Several TPW also hold the same belief,you just cant take the greed out of a person now days
First season in over 30yrs we caught only one pig over 65# on rod/reel

Re: Flatheads in North Texas [Re: Thunk] #12255202 05/21/17 02:25 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
OOPS! "so some might back up" meaning so some might back up to read your post. Thought I should clarify that one. Thoughts run much faster than the keyboard.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide