Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What can we each do to improve High School fishing? #12247962 05/16/17 03:38 PM
R
RKT Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
R
After reading much controversial discussions on high school fishing it is apparent that many of us have different opinions. However, we all agree that there are problems. High school fishing is here to stay whether you want it to or not. The demand is there. So the question is - what can each of us do to positively affect high school bass tournaments.

What can tournament directors and staff do?

What can school sponsors do?

What can boat captains do?

What can local anglers (especially those that the kids know of with a strong influence on the kids)do?

What can local police/fire/ems do?

My thoughts:

This is a situation where all of these people need to be working together to teach safety and etiquette on the water. The people running the circuits can work with the local guides (especially those with internet presence with the kids) to have them go to the schools to talk about etiquette and consequences of cheating.

We can work with first responders in the same manner where they can go to the schools to give presentations on boater safety and boater laws. It would be nice to have police, fire, and emt represented in this.

These presentations at the schools could be recorded and placed on the tournament organizations web pages so that sponsors can present it to their students that did not get to participate in the original presentations.

Local anglers can both help by captaining kids to teach them or by recording and reporting violations they see during tournaments while on the water.

Let's keep this positive. What other ways can we positively in teach and influence these kids who want to fish tournaments. They are the future of the sport. These kids are young and easily influenced. We need to do our best to come up with ways to make that influence a good one.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12248022 05/16/17 04:12 PM
C
ChampionDon (SkeeterDon) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
First things first:

They need to be sure to teach on the water etiquette before they even get to the lake and it should be a standard monthly topic. They more than likely did not have the upbringing that a lot of us have and nor had the any experience with this.

Way too many times have I had high schooler's just come right up too me after I have caught a fish(s). With absolutely no courtesy whatsoever and just start casting. I am talking about close enough that I could pitch in their boat. Complete disrespect and disregard for other anglers.

Waco, last year, had a boat come into a small littler area that was room for only one boat and they proceeded, was totally shocked. Bad thing is the captain, of all people should have known better.

Stillhouse on 5/7, not once but twice, did I catch a fish and two boats on two separate occasions move in.

Now with that being said. There was one boat on stillhouse that came in and sat and waited, well beyond casting distance. The captain was on the TM maintaining a respected distance. I fished for about 15 min and left, as I left I turned around and they were moving in. If I would have thought about it at that time, I would have turned around and gave my kudo's to that captain for doing the respectful thing and teaching those young angler's the respect that should be given.

But I hear this time and time again about the High School fishing teams not giving respect on the water.

Yes none of us own the lake and it is open to anyone, but respect should be given to whomever was their first. Either by keeping your distance or asking if they can come in and fish.

2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Lake Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2
Central Texas Realtor, Helping People Buy/Sell Their Home, Give Me A Call.
2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS
www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com
Donnie C. O'Neal - 512-431-5977

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12250646 05/18/17 01:19 AM
R
Robert Brown Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
More adult bass clubs could sponsor junior bass clubs and mentor these pre-HS youngsters as a prep for reaching the HS level. By the time they get to HS these kids could have several years of on the water tournament experience under the guidance of experienced adult boat captains.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12251452 05/18/17 02:47 PM
TripletsFish Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
Maybe, a required online rules test for kids and boat captains. Nothing too difficult - just true or false questions that gives the correct answers after they submit their answer. At the end, they have to click to agree to abiding by the tournament rules or risk suspension or ban. This way, THSBA would have a list of who completed the test and is eligible to compete/captain. This would cut down on "I didn't know that was a rule" and make people think twice about cheating.

Also, I would like to see a "premier" tournament series for Seniors and Juniors that would work in cooperation with college fishing programs. This would give the high school anglers, who are looking to fish at the next level, a chance to show their stuff. The college anglers could raise a little money for their programs and interact with the high schoolers.

PB Largemouth: 6.16 - Texoma
Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: TripletsFish] #12251657 05/18/17 04:21 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: TripletsFish
Maybe, a required online rules test for kids and boat captains. Nothing too difficult - just true or false questions that gives the correct answers after they submit their answer. At the end, they have to click to agree to abiding by the tournament rules or risk suspension or ban. This way, THSBA would have a list of who completed the test and is eligible to compete/captain. This would cut down on "I didn't know that was a rule" and make people think twice about cheating.

When you sign your name on the entry form - you have already agreed to all that you posted. It's not the THSBA's responsibility to ensure that you actually read the rules.
I know that sounds harsh but it's true. The THSBA board has plenty to do without having to hold the hands of the competitors who should be capable of self-responsibility and read their own rules.

This doesn't mean that your idea isn't without merit. I don't know that I'm really qualified but I've been playing the tournament game for a long time and I'd be willing to speak on the do's and don'ts on ethics and the rules during tournaments. However, this spring the guys at THSBA tried to hold a seminar on this and it was very poorly attended. I settle for talking to the captains in our club and try to ensure that they are following the rules and ethics but once they are on the water - I don't have any control of how they act.
Which leads back to who is going to go and how are you going to get them there? If you make it a requirement then you'll have captains back out because it's too much trouble. It's hard enough to get captains as it is.
I like some of the stuff I've read in this thread and I think we'll try to implement some of it into our meetings. We have already had the local GW come and talk at one of the meetings.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12252621 05/19/17 02:32 AM
Hoghunter36 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
How about in the rules also listing punishments for breaking the rules like criminal charges at most and having your names put out in public at least! Maybe understanding that there are serious consequences will deter people.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: Hoghunter36] #12252641 05/19/17 02:46 AM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
We will be discussing this after this weekend. I know we would not disclose the names of the students due to them be minors. We can list the punishments , that shouldn't be a issue at all.
Originally Posted By: Hoghunter36
How about in the rules also listing punishments for breaking the rules like criminal charges at most and having your names put out in public at least! Maybe understanding that there are serious consequences will deter people.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12252722 05/19/17 03:21 AM
J
Jamesche Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
It will be interesting to see how the division split impacts this kind of thing. Much like population density negatively impacts behavior on crowded highways, boat density on our lakes impacts behavior on the water. I'm hoping that we'll see a better situation in the upcoming year.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: Ken Starling] #12252890 05/19/17 12:20 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
[quote=Ken Starling]We will be discussing this after this weekend. I know we would not disclose the names of the students due to them be minors. We can list the punishments , that shouldn't be a issue at all.

^^but Why not list their names?? If they are cheating as minors it will carry on to when they are Adults. Seems like we are going under the assumption that these "kids" are just ignorant/innocent angels and have no idea that they are doing "wrong" when you know 100% that THEY-

a. asked for the info
b. went fishing with the guides
c. accepted fish from their boat captains
d. were perfectly OK with the "winnings" of any events and/or the accolades that they were to get from said event

At the very minimum should list the school but I tend to think that punishes the "good" people in that club where its probably just the 1 team being bad. I can't stand a cheater no matter what sport/event you are in.

Last edited by bassmanrudy; 05/19/17 12:21 PM.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: bassmanrudy] #12253095 05/19/17 02:16 PM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
[quote=Ken Starling]We will be discussing this after this weekend. I know we would not disclose the names of the students due to them be minors. We can list the punishments , that shouldn't be a issue at all.

^^but Why not list their names?? If they are cheating as minors it will carry on to when they are Adults. Seems like we are going under the assumption that these "kids" are just ignorant/innocent angels and have no idea that they are doing "wrong" when you know 100% that THEY-

a. asked for the info
b. went fishing with the guides
c. accepted fish from their boat captains
d. were perfectly OK with the "winnings" of any events and/or the accolades that they were to get from said event

At the very minimum should list the school but I tend to think that punishes the "good" people in that club where its probably just the 1 team being bad. I can't stand a cheater no matter what sport/event you are in.

^^^
List the school team that had violators.
This alone would create the peer pressure from EVERY TEAM to do the RIGHT thing & self police their own team members.
UIL doesnt list individual violators in ANY other sport, but, DOES list a school that has UIL rule infractions or violations. This ALONE would (IMO) would stop 90% of the mess. They aren't just fishing as a 2 man team with a captain. They ARE representing their SCHOOL & every member of that school.
Alsi list the NAME of the legal Adult captain that is involved. If the legal adult captain would cheat in a student activity you can bet they'd cheat in a tournament outside a school function (again IMO).

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12254087 05/20/17 01:36 AM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
While I totally understand the argument...

They are MINORS. Which I am sure brings it's own set of problems. Naming them is sure to get someone sued- by the same parents who raised a kid that thinks it is ok to cheat..
This isn't a UIL regulated sport and I hope it never is.
I don't have a real problem naming the captain but everyone needs to understand that most of the captain's aren't "tourney " regulars. Which, is why a lot of these problems are occurring. Where do you suggest naming these guys anyway? Newspaper, TFF, Facebook?
I saw some of this coming last year but hopes I was wrong. I think the THSBA was the same way... They have taken steps to punish the offenders they KNOW about and they are taking steps to address it. Give them a chance to earn their pay...

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12254121 05/20/17 01:58 AM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I think just notifying the team advisor maybe for the first offense and leaving the schools name out of it initially. I don't see a need to drag a schools name in to it for one person or one teams bad judgement. If it's widespread or reoccurring issues with the same school then name it. I definitely think the persons involved should be punished, including banned from fishing THSBA tournaments, if caught cheating.

Getting "too close" is kinda subjective but the teams involved should be educated on rules and proper tournament etiquette. If they take the advice as they should then I think everyone benefits and move on unless they continue to do it.

I've found it's not easy trying to run a club and dealing with some of the parents. Since it's an after school club not sanctioned by the school some think they don't have to abide by any rules. I had two discussions with parents this year and made it clear they either follow the rules or they don't fish in our club. I've learned a lot after one season and I have no tolerance for cheaters or those that don't want to follow the rules. I know I'm going to really emphasize enforcing the rules, cheating, proper etiquette, even more this next school year. The fact it's being discussed is good, that's where to start improvement.

Last edited by C130; 05/20/17 02:01 AM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12254928 05/20/17 10:26 PM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Even if its NOT a UIL event, they ARE representing a school & the schools reputation & EVERY student that attends that school when they enter those events! Yes they are DEFINITELY representing a school.
If there are no consequences for CHEATING just because its not a UIL Santioned event, then what ARE they REALLY learning?Its OK to have the Robbie Rose syndrome?
I hope its caught & contained quickly for the sake of the 99.9% of those that do FOLLOW the rules. Kudos to yall for doing this for the young ones.

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: Curtbass] #12254972 05/20/17 11:20 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Curtbass
Even if its NOT a UIL event, they ARE representing a school & the schools reputation & EVERY student that attends that school when they enter those events! Yes they are DEFINITELY representing a school.
If there are no consequences for CHEATING just because its not a UIL Santioned event, then what ARE they REALLY learning?Its OK to have the Robbie Rose syndrome?
I hope its caught & contained quickly for the sake of the 99.9% of those that do FOLLOW the rules. Kudos to yall for doing this for the young ones.

There is a consequence for cheating. Your gone. Forever. Never to return.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? [Re: RKT] #12255260 05/21/17 03:35 AM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I know everyone already knows this but this isn't just a high school issue. Grown adults who tournament fish are just as bad or worse. I had two boats fishing a tournament today on Conroe pull right up in front of me and my son. We had fished the spot for three hours since daylight when they came up. Both pulled right in front of where we were casting. First boat literally circled about 270 degrees around us.

I'm 100% for improving high school tournament fishing and making It safer but it's not just a high school issue. I never witnessed what I saw today at any high school tournament. Some oeople just don't care and have no respect at all.

Last edited by C130; 05/21/17 03:38 AM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide