texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,886
Posts13,954,815
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Help with boat/motor title transfer #12249922 05/17/17 05:37 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Hey guys. My Uncle has given me an old fishing boat and outboard motor that I need to transfer into my name and get it registered. I have the titles for both, with his signature front and back, and have downloaded forms (PWD)143 and (PWD)144. Do I also need a bill of sale for these from him? The TPWD seems to say it is part of these forms, but it's a bit confusing. Also do I need a special affidavit for them being a gift as well?

Also when I go to the DMV for the trailer registration I'm I reading it right that there is no title required because it is less than 4,000 lbs. rated?
noidea

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #12250033 05/17/17 06:51 PM
M
markchat Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Best thing to do is have him sign a bill of sale for a dollar. Correct on the trailer.

markchat
Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #12250259 05/17/17 09:21 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I would get a bill of sale. You can have him sign it for a dollar but they will tax the value of the boat, not what you paid for it. ON the trailer, I believe any trailer is required to be titled. Trailers rated for less that 4K lbs do not have to be inspected.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: markchat] #12250287 05/17/17 09:35 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: markchat
Best thing to do is have him sign a bill of sale for a dollar. Correct on the trailer.

Gonna disagree here. The transfer fee for a gift is almost always going to be less than the sales tax on fair market value. Here's why:

Originally Posted By: SoonerDG
You can have him sign it for a dollar but they will tax the value of the boat, not what you paid for it.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_143_a0900_vessel_boat_application.pdf

Davy, it wouldn't hurt to fill out a Texas Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer - form 14-317 as proof that the transfer is a bona fide gift.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: markchat] #12250875 05/18/17 02:49 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D

Well that's one thing that was confusing me. Especially when I read this from TPWD:

Q:What is acceptable as a bill of sale when purchasing a boat or outboard motor?
]A:Bill of Sale or Invoice - is required for every transfer of ownership.
One of the following is acceptable to meet the bill of sale or invoice requirement:

(1)Form PWD 143/144 application - tax affidavit must be completed and signed by the seller,

Or
(2)Handwritten Receipt or Sales Invoice - must contain date of sale, sales price (DO NOT include
sales price of trailer), description of vessel and/or outboard motor (make, TX or serial number and
year built), purchaser(s) name, and seller(s) signature,
OR
(3)Back of original brown Texas title seller must sign and list purchasers name and address, sales
price (DO NOT include sales price of trailer), and date of sale. If the sale includes more than one
asset (for example, a boat and an outboard motor) the sales price of each asset should be listed
separately on the back of each respective title.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12250883 05/18/17 02:52 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Gonna disagree here. The transfer fee for a gift is almost always going to be less than the sales tax on fair market value. Here's why:

You can have him sign it for a dollar but they will tax the value of the boat, not what you paid for it.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_143_a0900_vessel_boat_application.pdf

Davy, it wouldn't hurt to fill out a Texas Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer - form 14-317 as proof that the transfer is a bona fide gift.

Thanks Uncle Zeek. I've been looking for that gift form.

Dave Morris

Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: SoonerDG] #12250910 05/18/17 03:00 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
I would get a bill of sale. You can have him sign it for a dollar but they will tax the value of the boat, not what you paid for it. ON the trailer, I believe any trailer is required to be titled. Trailers rated for less that 4K lbs do not have to be inspected.

When I compute the tax using their chart I come up with no tax when claiming a gift.
And there's this:
Exemption List 3
Exemption from Boat Sales Tax/New Resident Tax (Tax Code 160.024-6.25%)

Government Entity such as State, Federal, Political Subdivisions, volunteer fire department, or emergency services.

Acquired as Gift

Dave Morris

Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #12250938 05/18/17 03:09 AM
T
txhntr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I was at parks and wildlife office a couple of months ago doing the same thing. The lady told me I needed one or the other, both is a plus but either will work. They will run the numbers on the motor and the boat anyway.

Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: txhntr] #12250960 05/18/17 03:16 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: txhntr
I was at parks and wildlife office a couple of months ago doing the same thing. The lady told me I needed one or the other, both is a plus but either will work. They will run the numbers on the motor and the boat anyway.

LOL..... They will recieve one, but not the other!
Thanks.

Dave Morris

Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #12252511 05/19/17 01:42 AM
F
Freeman Clark Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Why not just have your uncle go to TPWD with you?

Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: Freeman Clark] #12252784 05/19/17 05:05 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Freeman Clark
Why not just have your uncle go to TPWD with you?

Well, he's 86 and lives about 1-1/2 hours from here. Just trying to do it the easiest way for both of us. I don't think it will be a problem. Just wanted to get my ducks in a row before I went there.

Dave Morris

Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #12254111 05/20/17 01:51 AM
C
cwil Offline
Angler
Angler
C
For the trailer have a bill of sale from him and fill out form 130 u, which is a transfer of registration form. not sure about the amount from a gift. for the boat and motor you will need the signed titles if from tx or may have signed registration from other states. you will need a bill of sale that lists both the boat and motor with id or SN #'s and price for each and you names. this can be super simple as

sold to:
serial # of boat:
serial # of motor #:
date:
price of boat:
price of motor:
seller signature:

tpwd will literally give you a blank bill of sale with this exact info on it. We had a very nicely done bill of sale with all the info our addresses and everything, it was not what they wanted because they(tpwd) said it looked like I was only buying the boat, and not the motor and trailer, just because how we had the order of the items listed. He gave me this form, super simple and to the point bill of sale and I had to send it to the seller and have him sign. all was good. They want both boat and motor listed and price for each. tpwd doesn't care about value of the trailer.

Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: cwil] #12255192 05/21/17 02:21 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: cwil
For the trailer have a bill of sale from him and fill out form 130 u, which is a transfer of registration form. not sure about the amount from a gift. for the boat and motor you will need the signed titles if from tx or may have signed registration from other states. you will need a bill of sale that lists both the boat and motor with id or SN #'s and price for each and you names. this can be super simple as

sold to:
serial # of boat:
serial # of motor #:
date:
price of boat:
price of motor:

seller signature:

tpwd will literally give you a blank bill of sale with this exact info on it. We had a very nicely done bill of sale with all the info our addresses and everything, it was not what they wanted because they(tpwd) said it looked like I was only buying the boat, and not the motor and trailer, just because how we had the order of the items listed. He gave me this form, super simple and to the point bill of sale and I had to send it to the seller and have him sign. all was good. They want both boat and motor listed and price for each. tpwd doesn't care about value of the trailer.

Thanks . good info. I'm gonna see him over Memorial Day weekend. I'll get everything squared away then.

Dave Morris

Re: Help with boat/motor title transfer [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #12255343 05/21/17 10:05 AM
CHAMPION FISH Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Great info.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide