Print Thread
Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits #9240986 08/19/13 02:07 PM
S
Stew Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I like to slow roll spinnerbaits deep (15 to 25 ft) and after reading some posts on the forum I decided to order a few 1oz spinnerbaits from Mr. Harper. When I opened the package, the first thing I noticed was the smell (minnow oil), but after I recovered from that I got the blade tied on and went to work. The smaller blades kept the bait down and I had no problem keeping the blades turning during my slow retrieve. Three casts later i got hammered (if you have never experienced a deep water blade bite, it is similar to the crushing bite you get on an Alabama rig) and up came this Palestine beauty.

I can't wait to give the bait a try on Lake Tyler, where the deep bite is a little better, and may have to look into some of the stormy weather spinnerbaits Mr. Harper is always talking about for Lake Palestine, which is known for a shallow water reaction bite.

Kenny Stewart
Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #9244510 08/20/13 03:53 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Thanks for posting a nice fish Stew. Your up for a discount on your next purchase just let me know. Here is a write-up on those two Spinner Baits.

HANK PARKER CLASSIC SPINNER BAIT: $15

We catch 100 Bass in Mexico everyday. This bait will out catch any other spinner bait 2 to 1. I fish mine and catch 100; you fish yours and catch 50. It is my go to bait for heavy cover like lay downs, logs, floating trash, bushes, grass and general areas that no one else will go.
This is my go to bait under normal conditions of shallow water fishing.
- It has a twisted line tie.
- Change out main blade to a Copper Willow leaf #4.5.
- Sand the head and paint Chrome/Flake.
- Skirt is Blue/Chartreuse/White with 8 strands of fine Mylar. They are Round Living Rubber skirts impregnated with my pure 100% Minnow oil. These are poured with minnow powder and marinated in my oil for 1 year before going on the spinner bait.
- Skirt is hand tied so it never comes off. You will never find it lying in the bottom of the box.
- It is armed with a white glitter Stanley Pro trailer which is no longer made.

Three Kentucky Lake Opens Back To Back:

I pulled off three consecutive wins out of New Johnsonville, TN., in 1974, 75 and 76. All three tournaments were won in an area that no other boats would go. An old railroad trestle with two blown out bridges with two good creeks leading into a huge basin put me in an area of buck ball bushes and lay downs for the whole day.
I threw the Hank Parker Prototype back then, acquired form a family friend that was putting the baits in the hands of the best fisherman around. After winning on this new bait, I purchased 200 of them as soon as they hit the market. I have a few remaining and these are the ones you will get while the supply last.

HALLOWEEN SPINNER BAIT: $15

The Head is a special molded head to hold a 3 mm. prism eye.
It has 2 Skirt keepers, one for skirt and one for the trailer.

The Skirt is Living Rubber in three colors and hand tied. Minnow Scent has been molded into the rubber pour, and then saturated with my minnow scent for 1 year before use on spinner bait.

The Blade is a #5 Orange Indiana. It has a top coat of clear coat with a light Dusting of Diamond Dust. This glitter needs to be exact. I mix 5 different glitter dusts together: Silver Hologram, Purple Hologram, Gold Hologram, Chartreuse Hologram and Black.

It is armed with a Stanley Pro Trailer; Tomato/Blue Flake and comes with a trailer hook.

Lots of Thunder and No Lighting: Light showers set in all morning on Ky. Lake. It is 1975 and I have made it to the Red Man Classic. It was held in July that year because back then they ran two circuits a spring and fall. We launched at Paris Landing State Park and I ran to the back of Slaughters Resort Cove to fish a small creek where the beavers had laid almost all the trees in the water. I was working a regular Stanley Spinner Bait because it seemed that the worst of the storm had passed. I had picked up a limit of small 2 to 3 lb. Bass on the tree tops when another group of clouds, thunder and rain moved in.

Along the West shore there was some old boat houses that I thought would make good cover so I headed in that direction. It was too shallow for the big motor so I was giving the trolling motor all it would do against the wind. It was so shallow I had to hold the trolling motor up out of the water with the rope to get across the flat. Crossing the flat I could see two lay downs ahead of me. These are in less than a foot of water in July and the only two pieces of wood on the whole flat had wash up there during high water in the spring. When I got within casting distance I just let the motor down in the mud and picked up the Halloween Spinner Bait. There were two Bass there one on each lay down. The first Bass weighted 10.2 lbs. and the second one weighed 8 even. Total weight for that win was 10 fish for 36 lbs. and change. I love this spinner bait.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #9754952 02/20/14 04:25 AM
R
Ryan Wags Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Donald Harper's spinner baits are outstanding! Every aspect of the bait is phenomenal. I particularly like the trailers, and the quality of the hand tied skirts. No rubber bands breaking, and skirt strands all in the bottom of your tackle box, and a "naked" spinner bait frame.

I was fishing yesterday, and "battling" my partner for supremacy in the fish count. We were back and forth with the lead. We were both throwing plastics, but I switched to Don's bait, and it made the difference of ultimately landing a few more fish. I had some inhale it, and my hook-up to land ratio was 100%.

http://ryanwagsfishing.com/ Let's go catch some fish! **Videos on my site's home page.

New PB at Lago Vista Lodge Lake Guerrero Mexico thanks Donald Harper and Papa Mark (w/clearer pic) [Re: Ryan Wags] #9761677 02/22/14 03:04 PM
O
One fish Bill Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O

New PB at Lago Vista Lodge Lake Guerrero Mexico thanks Donald Harper and Papa Mark (w/clearer pic)

I went to Lago Vista Lodge on Lake Guerrero Mexico last week and had my new PB a 8 pound hawg thanks to Donald Harper and Papa Mark who tweeked up some spinnerbaits for me. Lago Vista, www.lagovistalodge.com 281-495-9296 was great with clean rooms, great food, and excellent service. At no time did I feel uncomfortable or unsafe traveling to and from the Lodge or on the water. A big thanks to Donald Harper and Papa Mark for collaberating to make me some killer spinnerbaits with custom skirts and scents. The lake was flooded due to a recent tropical depression that dropped 20" of rain and the fish were spread out onto flooded flats and feilds. Finding fish was difficult but the camp Guides worked hard and everyone had at least one big fish with lots of 3 pound fish thrown in to keep the days intersting. Here is a pcture of my big fish it is not the greatest because I was so excited I didn't play close attention to the sun position but thats a Donald Harper/Papa Mark custom spinnerbait hanging out of her mouth and one big happy smile on my face. I will go back again looking for a DD and I will for sure be packing my Donald Harper Spinnerbaits!

Re: New PB at Lago Vista Lodge Lake Guerrero Mexico thanks Donald Harper and Papa Mark (w/clearer pic) [Re: Stew] #9777702 02/27/14 03:03 PM
R
Ryan Wags Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I had some more luck on Donald's tweaked Spinner bait. I was throwing cranks and the bite had gone slack. I was in area with some grass, and I knew a spinner bait would be a wise move. Right off the bat, WHACK! Had a few fish like this one. The hook-up/land ratio for me has been perfect.

http://ryanwagsfishing.com/ Let's go catch some fish! **Videos on my site's home page.

Re: New PB at Lago Vista Lodge Lake Guerrero Mexico thanks Donald Harper and Papa Mark (w/clearer pic) [Re: Stew] #9898470 04/11/14 12:31 AM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Thanks guys for posting those nice Bass you are catching on the spinner baits. These are the 4 applications for the tough Mexico and Falcon baits that I build.

We had 40 fish days on it with our last Mexico trip. It is a tough twisted line tie 3/4 oz. bait built by Papamark then I do the rest.

They have 4 applications:
- TOP ROW - Double willow leaf with the small blade White. Both blades are diamond dust coated. Living rubber hand tied skirts with the Stanley Pro trailer.
- First bait is for clear water.
- Second bait is for clear water on over cast days with wind.

- SECOND ROW - Small willow is Chartreuse and both blades are diamond dusted.
- First bait is for stained water.
- Second bait is for stained water on over cast day with wind.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: New PB at Lago Vista Lodge Lake Guerrero Mexico thanks Donald Harper and Papa Mark (w/clearer pic) [Re: Stew] #9899891 04/11/14 02:35 PM
E
EM-Steve Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Here is a short video of Mr Harper down in Mexico. Thanks for the baits Don. I am one more happy customer. These spinners flat out catch fish. Combined with your scents I am good to!

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #9909025 04/15/14 11:51 AM
L
LoneStarHusker Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Here's another video of Donald displaying the baits up close. You just can't buy baits like this anywhere else.

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #10105476 07/01/14 11:40 PM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I want to thank everyone who have ordered my Custom Tweaked Spinner Baits. I especially want to thank Papamark and Bumper Stumper Baits for supplying the baits to get the job done with the toughest baits on the market.

Some of you guys have spinner baits that are a gold mind and don't even realize it.
I know many of you have old baits that you would like to see make a come back. Just give me a shout and I will make it happen.
- The head will get a new paint job.
- It will get the blades of your choice.
- The Skirt will be scented living rubber and hand tied with a color of your choice.
- It will be armed with a Stanley Pro Trailer.

Thanks for your business.
Donald

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #10627875 02/18/15 04:41 PM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Another great trip to Mexico with my custom color bladed spinner baits. If you want to turn the head of a big fish just tie one on this Spring.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #10816876 05/04/15 02:29 PM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Something for everyone. If you fish for Small Mouth these work great. If you are a pond fisherman you will want all 6 of these in your box.

Stained Water willow blades - One Silver Chart./Diamond Dusted - One Gold Chart./Diamond Dusted

The Stormy Weather with Orange Ind. - One Cloudy Weather with Deep Cup Colo. Diamond Dusted

Sunny Days - One Mepps Ind. Chart. Diamond Dust - One Colo. White Diamond Dust.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #12225121 05/01/17 02:33 PM
"
"TexasFight" Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
"
Donald Harper, your baits are absolutely amazing! Your baits put the smack down on some Amon Carter chunks! The baits you customized for us out caught our strike king and war eagle baits 4 to 1!! Your baits also made a significant difference in size of fish as well. We have been consistently boating nice bass over the past few weeks, all on your spinnerbaits. This is the best spring we have had on AC in a long time thanks to you. Can't thank you enough for what you do. These are truly amazing baits! Thanks again, we will be ordering more baits soon!

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: "TexasFight"] #12246871 05/15/17 10:11 PM
F
Fly_Flinger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
What color, and weight are you throwing?

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #12252377 05/19/17 12:17 AM
"
"TexasFight" Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
"
1/2 oz. It's a custom color that Donald put together. Mimics a baby carp. It flat out catches them!

Re: Product Review: Donald Harper Spinnerbaits [Re: Stew] #12268654 05/30/17 02:31 AM
J
Jswanz58 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
They are some of the best!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide