Print Thread
Aftermarket exhaust #12235284 05/08/17 12:03 AM
E
Eddyc01 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
E
I just bought a 2017 GMC Sierra Elevation about a month and a half ago.
I was considering installing a Borla aftermarket cat back exhaust on it.
Will installing it void any warranty?
Some say yes, some say no.
What's the real answer ??

Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Eddyc01] #12235315 05/08/17 12:29 AM
M
MarcM64 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I would say yes, but ask the service manager at the dealer! When I worked for a Cadillac dealer, if you even put new wheels on it, it voided the whole warranty, but thats been a few years ago. It probably says so in your owners manual!

Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Eddyc01] #12235409 05/08/17 01:38 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
honey boo boo
Online Happy
honey boo boo
Probably will and my 2011 loved the back pressure of the stock exhaust. I installed a magnaflow system and low end torque packed his stuff and left.

[Linked Image]
Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Eddyc01] #12235448 05/08/17 01:56 AM
T
Titleist77 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I've got the borla s type on my 2016 5.3 gmc all terrain. Excellent fitment and sound. If your worried about warranty, just keep your stock exhaust. It comes out in 1 piece and can easily be returned to stock.

Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Eddyc01] #12238346 05/09/17 09:55 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
No is the real answer. I'm a GM tech and we don't worry about exhaust, air intakes, wheels, audio, aftermarket running boards, and most bolt on accessories. Now if they are causing a problem its not covered. Say you have a K&N air filter and you over oil it. It will damage the MAF sensor and that's not covered. You might not know because you'll bring it in with a check engine light then we find out that it was caused by oil and that won't be covered but your warranty will not be voided.

The problem you might have is a good exhaust will not sound good when your vehicle deactivates cylinders for the active fuel management. There is a program that will keep it in V8 mode but that will void your warranty. Don't change any programs and you can do a lot of stuff and not void warranty.

Worked for GM dealers for 25 years and I've never seen a warranty voided. It can happen but I've seen cars with big race cams, NOX, and they have even come in with slicks on and we cover them. Takes some serious stuff (modify programming) to get a warranty voided and the manufacture has to get involved. Dealers want happy customer so they will come back and buy cars. They mostly turn a blind eye to what the customer have done to their vehicles. Just remember if the aftermarket component is causing a problem that problem will not be covered but the rest of the vehicle is still covered.

Last edited by Todd; 05/09/17 10:07 PM.
Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Eddyc01] #12238354 05/09/17 10:01 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
If your doing it for performance your wasting your time unless your doing a lot of other things that will void your warranty.

If your doing it for the sound, just get the mufflers swapped out.

If your just doing it to be cool then either throw your money away and say yeah man I'm cool, or be smart and keep it in your pocket.

Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Eddyc01] #12239600 05/10/17 05:53 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
read the Magnuson act

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Eddyc01] #12239631 05/10/17 06:11 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Never understood aftermarket exhaust on a stock engine, especially a cat-back system. Little to no performance gain, often a performance loss, and rarely does it sound as good as the owner thinks it does.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: psycho0819] #12241220 05/11/17 04:35 PM
T
Titleist77 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: psycho0819
Never understood aftermarket exhaust on a stock engine, especially a cat-back system. Little to no performance gain, often a performance loss, and rarely does it sound as good as the owner thinks it does.

Pretty easy for me to understand, just depends on owners specific desire. For me, I got rid of the ugly/rattling AFM flapper valve for a nice looking/fitting borla. Combination of the catback and AFE momentum gt CAI, acceleration is a vast improvement. Check out blackbear performance, as a catback, cai, and one of their tunes makes for a whole new truck on a stock engine.

Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Titleist77] #12241341 05/11/17 05:40 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Titleist77

Pretty easy for me to understand, just depends on owners specific desire. For me, I got rid of the ugly/rattling AFM flapper valve for a nice looking/fitting borla. Combination of the catback and AFE momentum gt CAI, acceleration is a vast improvement. Check out blackbear performance, as a catback, cai, and one of their tunes makes for a whole new truck on a stock engine.

Your talking doing a lot more than just an exhaust at a lot more cost and things that will probably hinder your warranty. Simply tuning out the torque management or whatever they call it that serves to protect and prolong the life of the transmission will change a lot too.

Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: redchevy] #12241360 05/11/17 05:54 PM
T
Titleist77 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Titleist77

Your talking doing a lot more than just an exhaust at a lot more cost and things that will probably hinder your warranty. Simply tuning out the torque management or whatever they call it that serves to protect and prolong the life of the transmission will change a lot too.

No doubt a tune will cause warranty issues, I was simply using as a possibility for someone wanting max power from stock motor.

Re: Aftermarket exhaust [Re: Todd] #12251561 05/18/17 03:35 PM
R
RudyDep Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Todd
No is the real answer. I'm a GM tech and we don't worry about exhaust, air intakes, wheels, audio, aftermarket running boards, and most bolt on accessories. Now if they are causing a problem its not covered. Say you have a K&N air filter and you over oil it. It will damage the MAF sensor and that's not covered. You might not know because you'll bring it in with a check engine light then we find out that it was caused by oil and that won't be covered but your warranty will not be voided.

The problem you might have is a good exhaust will not sound good when your vehicle deactivates cylinders for the active fuel management. There is a program that will keep it in V8 mode but that will void your warranty. Don't change any programs and you can do a lot of stuff and not void warranty.

Worked for GM dealers for 25 years and I've never seen a warranty voided. It can happen but I've seen cars with big race cams, NOX, and they have even come in with slicks on and we cover them. Takes some serious stuff (modify programming) to get a warranty voided and the manufacture has to get involved. Dealers want happy customer so they will come back and buy cars. They mostly turn a blind eye to what the customer have done to their vehicles. Just remember if the aftermarket component is causing a problem that problem will not be covered but the rest of the vehicle is still covered.

Todd that is the first accurate and truthful thing that I have read on warranty issues due to aftermarket add ons.
Thank you for that!!

http://thetacklesmith.com
http://www.lakefalconfishing.com
http://austin.trackerboatingcenter.com
http://www.jigs4bass.com
http://www.primarytackle.com
http://www.grandebass.com/

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The MARINES don't have that problem."
President Ronald Reagan 1985
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide