Print Thread
Punch Shot #12236486 05/08/17 07:05 PM
T
Thor Outdoors Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
The Punch Shot rig is a technique I learned from watching BassU while Ike was giving a class on this technique. It seems like a very genius idea, and being that it's from Japan it's more a a unique technique than most guys throw here in the states. Just wondering if anyone else has ever used the punch shot technique or had any success with it?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Punch Shot [Re: Thor Outdoors] #12236509 05/08/17 07:17 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I don't care for all the hardware and moving pieces.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Punch Shot [Re: fouzman] #12236552 05/08/17 07:45 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I don't care for all the hardware and moving pieces.

fouzman makes a good point.

But, a lot of bass guys love to plan and fiddle with gear as part of their process and overall experience. So, to this one, they might add some chartreuse color on the appendage tips, add a few colored beads for noise, then a shiny blade to get noticed, slather it in a fish attractant to stink it up, then drop it on the floor and circle it ten times repeating an incantation of the spirits! Ha!

Actually, it looks okay to me though I sure don't see any big advantage over what most people use for that same situation.

Hey! One other to consider would just be a power version of a Drop Shot rig using a much larger weight to "pull" the lure down with a larger hook and plastic. Several here use this technique and I hear it can be very effective.

Brad

Re: Punch Shot [Re: Thor Outdoors] #12236556 05/08/17 07:47 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This is the rig I have had the greatess success on.
Heavy Drop Shot works everywhere, shallow mat but best on the deepest grass you can find. They will be grouped up under the hollow. If the wind is blowing you can get in there on the upwind side; put the trolling motor up and big motor up and walk the boat across the mat by rocking the boat from side to side. In the heat of the day they are burred up in the grass.

Rig a heavy drop shot rig:
5.0 heavy super line hook. Tied on 50# braid. Use a Palomar knot. Leave the tag end at 5 inches long. Tie a 1 oz. weight to the tag end. I just tie a knot in the end of the tag, then use a overhand slip knot to attach the weight. It doesn't take much to keep it on. When I am fishing grass with hardwoods and it gets hung on the wood I can pull the weight off and come out with the hook and fish. The hook is about 4 to 5 inches above the weight, so the tails of the bait will hang down and cover the weight.
Use a Gene Lawrue Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon Neon. This is not Watermelon/Red although they look almost the same; but it makes a great difference.

It will drop in the grass and come out of the grass with no hang-ups.
Fish vertical to slightly in front of the boat. Directly over the bait is best on the deepest grass. Drop it in slowly and soft so it is traveling slowly when it touches the bottom. The Bass hate anything sneaking in on them. Hold it there with a tight line for about 5 seconds without any movement. They don't want it bouncing up and down. This gives them time to swim through the hollow under the grass and nail the bait.
Vertical presentation and moving along the outer edge of the grass line, making pitches out in front of the boat so by the time it gets to the bottom you are directly over the bait for the hook set.
HAVE FUN!!

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Punch Shot [Re: Donald Harper] #12237257 05/09/17 03:33 AM
C
cruzfishing Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Heavy Drop Shot works everywhere, shallow mat but best on the deepest grass you can find. They will be grouped up under the hollow. If the wind is blowing you can get in there on the upwind side; put the trolling motor up and big motor up and walk the boat across the mat by rocking the boat from side to side. In the heat of the day they are burred up in the grass.

5.0 heavy super line hook. Tied on 50# braid. Use a Palomar knot. Leave the tag end at 5 inches long. Tie a 1 oz. weight to the tag end. I just tie a knot in the end of the tag, then use a overhand slip knot to attach the weight. It doesn't take much to keep it on. When I am fishing grass with hardwoods and it gets hung on the wood I can pull the weight off and come out with the hook and fish. The hook is about 4 to 5 inches above the weight, so the tails of the bait will hang down and cover the weight.
Use a Gene Lawrue Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon Neon. This is not Watermelon/Red although they look almost the same; but it makes a great difference.

Fish vertical to slightly in front of the boat. Directly over the bait is best on the deepest grass. Drop it in slowly and soft so it is traveling slowly when it touches the bottom. The Bass hate anything sneaking in on them. Hold it there with a tight line for about 5 seconds without any movement. They don't want it bouncing up and down. This gives them time to swim through the hollow under the grass and nail the bait.
Vertical presentation and moving along the outer edge of the grass line, making pitches out in front of the boat so by the time it gets to the bottom you are directly over the bait for the hook set.
HAVE FUN!!

Great write up and tip. Thanks thumb

http://tackleCoOp.com - New Custom Fishing Marketplace.
https://www.instagram.com/cruzfishing -posting fishing reports and pics here..its a bit easier.
https://tinyurl.com/cruzfishing (new Youtube Channel with indepth fishing reports)
DFW Fishing Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/dfwfishingforum
Re: Punch Shot [Re: Donald Harper] #12237384 05/09/17 11:55 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

HAVE FUN!!

Donald, I knew you were a fan of this heavy version of the drop shot. Thanks for the details.

One thing I am missing: When you are fishing vertical or nearly so, are you dropping it slowly, or letting it fall under its own gravity? And, are you going to the bottom or holding it higher in the water column?

I suppose the questions pertain to the deeper grass areas.

Thanks! Brad

Re: Punch Shot [Re: Thor Outdoors] #12237559 05/09/17 02:08 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Let's say you are fish 20 ft. tall grass just under the surface. On this lake all the grass in this water depth will be basically the same. You develop the feel for when the rig is going to touch down. I let it free fall until just before the touch down on the bottom. Slow it down once it breaks through the hollow under the thicker part of the grass. Sneaking through the cover absolutely infuriates the Bass. They will kill it.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Punch Shot [Re: Thor Outdoors] #12237799 05/09/17 04:04 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I like it better for punching grass then the traditional 1-2oz tungsten weighted Tx. rig.

Re: Punch Shot [Re: Thor Outdoors] #12237806 05/09/17 04:06 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
A drop shot on steroids. LOL

Re: Punch Shot [Re: Donald Harper] #12238321 05/09/17 09:36 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan

HAVE FUN!!

Killer rig Don. You taught this technique to fish fear me who taught it to me... absolutely killer.

Re: Punch Shot [Re: Thor Outdoors] #12238458 05/09/17 11:12 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Wish you guys could have been with me on Amistad when the grass was 30 ft. tall. It was nothing to catch 50 per day over 5 lbs.

Websiite Sponsors:

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide