Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: COFF] #12215452 04/25/17 03:20 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: COFF
The Cabelas RLS+ is a great reel for the money. I've got one on my 3 WT and 5 WT setups and love them. Get them when they go on sale for around $80.

I totally agree with that . I have their 5 wt combo and I was really surprised how well built and ease of use the RLS+ reel was to use !

RonL
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12215474 04/25/17 03:27 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Gamblingman
Ron,

I think the large arbor would be great. I use a very cheap white river reel now, I don't like it at all.

There are Sage reels in my price range but I did not understand the different models so I just moved on from them.

When I bought my SAGE VXP rod 5 wt 9' I needed a reel to go with it and at first I felt guilty that I needed their SAGE reel also to go with it but the style look and color did not catch my attention unless you bought into the high range cost of reels over $400.00 . For my use and no more than I get to use it I couldn't justify that price . SO I ended up with a Orvis Access that was discontinued and selling out for $99.00 and it was a mid-arbor reel . I really like it well . The only thing I wish I had done is instead of buying the 5wt Trout line Orvis had I wish I had bought the 6 wt Trout line cause the VXP is a med fast/fast rod and 6 wt would load a lot easier than the 5wt and also SAGE support suggested using 6 wt line instead of 5 wt . If I buy line again for the VXP I will buy 6 wt line .

However I have the Cabelas RLS+ combo in 5 wt and the reel is a large arbor and I really like that reel a lot ! I wish my Access reel had been Lg Arbor but at the time the Mid-Arbor was all that was available frown .

Last edited by RonL; 04/25/17 03:29 PM.

RonL
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: RonL] #12215490 04/25/17 03:34 PM
C
COFF Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted By: RonL
Orvis will spool it for you with free backing, but at least buy some flies or something from them for the trouble!

I bought the Orvis Access reel when it was discontinued and I bought their Orvis Trout line all in 5 wt . Believe me , they are very happy to give you free backing when you buy a reel and line . Don't need to feel guilty and needing to buy extras unless you just want to . But $200.00 for reel and line verses less than $5.00 for their backing is really no big deal . Besides most all vendors will give free backing with purchase of reel and line .

I've walked in there with a non-Orvis reel, and non-Orvis line and they gave me the same great treatment. I fully expected to pay for the backing - I just wanted to use their spooling machine. But they said they always load you up with free backing. That's why I suggest buying some stuff from them. I really think those guys genuinely like other fly fishermen and enjoy helping you out.

Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12215624 04/25/17 04:23 PM
G
Gamblingman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
I king of figured there would be different opinions and I really like reading what everyone is using now. It seems like there is a pattern of buying a reel that is on sale or discontinued.
I will do some more shopping to see if I can find some sales.

Paul

Lets go fishing

Paul
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: COFF] #12215792 04/25/17 05:24 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: RonL
Orvis will spool it for you with free backing, but at least buy some flies or something from them for the trouble!

I bought the Orvis Access reel when it was discontinued and I bought their Orvis Trout line all in 5 wt . Believe me , they are very happy to give you free backing when you buy a reel and line . Don't need to feel guilty and needing to buy extras unless you just want to . But $200.00 for reel and line verses less than $5.00 for their backing is really no big deal . Besides most all vendors will give free backing with purchase of reel and line .

I've walked in there with a non-Orvis reel, and non-Orvis line and they gave me the same great treatment. I fully expected to pay for the backing - I just wanted to use their spooling machine. But they said they always load you up with free backing. That's why I suggest buying some stuff from them. I really think those guys genuinely like other fly fishermen and enjoy helping you out.

One of the best ways to help support them is watch The New Fly Fisher show they heavily sponser . Spread the news on too . I love it , great show . They use to be on the PBS channel but I guess for now the season they been off or PBS took them off but I think it's the season .

https://www.thenewflyfisher.com/

RonL
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Turf Dawg] #12218121 04/26/17 10:11 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Turf Dawg
On my rods 6wt down I do not own a reel that cost more than the line. My most expensive rod, a Sage ESN, has a Cabellas Prestige reel that I bought for 29.99 on sale. Different strokes for different folks but most all fish I catch are not taking any line and the few that do don't take much.

I'm the opposite. I use my 2wts and my 4wt for panfish and small bass, and like you said any reel will typically work fine there. But I also do a lot of trout fishing with the light rods, and I use 5X tippet mostly (sometimes 6X). In a river or stream with current, those light tippets need all the protection you can give them. A reel with a good, smooth drag sure helps in those situations.

For my 6wt and 8wt, I'm mostly fishing for bass and other medium-sized to large fish and using heavier leaders and tippets. I'm not as concerned about the drag being super smooth when I have a 12# or heavier tippet on the end of my line.

Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: WoollyBugger] #12218486 04/27/17 01:12 AM
T
Turf Dawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: WoollyBugger
Originally Posted By: Turf Dawg
On my rods 6wt down I do not own a reel that cost more than the line. My most expensive rod, a Sage ESN, has a Cabellas Prestige reel that I bought for 29.99 on sale. Different strokes for different folks but most all fish I catch are not taking any line and the few that do don't take much.

I'm the opposite. I use my 2wts and my 4wt for panfish and small bass, and like you said any reel will typically work fine there. But I also do a lot of trout fishing with the light rods, and I use 5X tippet mostly (sometimes 6X). In a river or stream with current, those light tippets need all the protection you can give them. A reel with a good, smooth drag sure helps in those situations.

For my 6wt and 8wt, I'm mostly fishing for bass and other medium-sized to large fish and using heavier leaders and tippets. I'm not as concerned about the drag being super smooth when I have a 12# or heavier tippet on the end of my line.

Trout are generally what I am after also. You maybe getting into larger fish or larger waters but the two main places I hit, LMF and Blue, very seldom does one even make a click pawl reel click.

Everyone has different opinions so I am by no means saying mine is right and others are wrong but I do believe what Kelly Galloup says about reels. kelly galloup choosing right reel

Last edited by Turf Dawg; 04/27/17 01:13 AM.

Turf Dawg Landscaping
Texas Licensed Irrigator
LI 0020041
Commercial Pesticide Applicator for Turf and Ornamental, Pasture & Rangelands and Right-of-Way
Texas Dept of Agriculture license #0525163
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12219162 04/27/17 01:33 PM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
It might also be a difference in style. I know some people always put the fish on the reel, while I almost never do.

Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12220276 04/27/17 11:41 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Gamblingman, there are a lot of good reels available at great prices. Match the reel to the fishing you will do. Will you fish salt water? If so, you will be better off buying a machined and anodized (or composite) reel as opposed to a cast and powdercoated reel. And a sealed drag might be nice too. Will your fish be all (relatively) small, or will you be catching slot reds, gator trout, big carp, etc.? If so, you will want to weigh the advantages of a good drag versus palming the reel, especially a small arbor reel.

Fluff chuckers have been using small arbor reels for a long time, but mid and large arbors provide faster retrieve speeds, less line coiling/memory, and more control on large fish pulling line off the reel.

If you fish around vegetation, rocks, or oysters, or from a cluttered craft, you need to decide if you want to deal with a stripping basket, as opposed to getting and keeping the fish on the reel. Nothing like sticking an overslot red on your five weight while wading in emergent vegetation, and having your line hang up in the grass as that red makes a smoking run. Either you break her off, or that wad of grass your line is wrapped up in ripping up the rod takes two or three (or more) guides with it........

Base your reel choice on what works for the fishing you do, not the fishing that a lot of other (well-meaning) anglers do.

Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12220287 04/27/17 11:50 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Gamblingman, read this thread. It will give you a little insight into the different opinions floating around out there on fly reels.
http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11573

Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12221821 04/28/17 09:16 PM
G
Gamblingman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought a Orvis Hydros SL. I found a pretty good deal, got the reel, backing, SA Mastery MPX line, 3 pack of leaders and a spool of tippet for $239 delivered.

Lets go fishing

Paul
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12223020 04/29/17 08:20 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
You will be happy with that reel; I have several of the old and the current (SL) Hydros reels, and all are great reels.

Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12223115 04/29/17 09:27 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought a Orvis Hydros SL. I found a pretty good deal, got the reel, backing, SA Mastery MPX line, 3 pack of leaders and a spool of tippet for $239 delivered.

You got a heck of a deal for all that and that price ! Congratulations , I think you'll enjoy that reel for sure !

RonL
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12223116 04/29/17 09:29 PM
G
Gamblingman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Thanks Jim and Ron

I can't wait to get the new gear out on the water.

Lets go fishing

Paul
Re: Help me pick a reel [Re: Gamblingman] #12224079 04/30/17 05:51 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Thanks Jim and Ron

I can't wait to get the new gear out on the water.

Where did you find that deal on the Orvis if you don't mind sharing a link !?

RonL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide