Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447597 09/30/17 10:48 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Boat captains should NOT fish during a tourney. They can coach with there eyes, ears, and mouth. They may fish with the kids during practice fishing.

That's how I'd lie to see it.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12447603 09/30/17 11:12 AM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Boat captains should NOT fish during a tourney. They can coach with there eyes, ears, and mouth. They may fish with the kids during practice fishing.

That's how I'd lie to see it.

Im fine with that, I always contribute my $20 but rarely fish. Im all for getting the kids out fishing but its just so far from being fair but its like most everything else in life. Im not whining or complaining, just stating a fact. I just hate it when I keep hearing why would I want my parents to get a boat then I wouldnt do good or the parents telling me they have a boat but its much easier to have a total stranger thats much better do it. I tell my son figure it out, I wont be there in college and having it spoon fed wont teach you much.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447619 09/30/17 11:54 AM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
JMO:

I can see it from both sides of the discussion. Knowing how quickly a teen can loose confidence in fishing if they're not catching I could certainly see the need for a Captain to stick a fish to boost boat morale. Teens with low confidence on a boat makes for a long day on the water. Guides do it for the same reason a Captain does it...get the motivation back up. I do it with friends I take fishing who haven't been out much. If I take a bud out to the lake I rarely fish unless they're just not getting bit and I see their confidence drop then I'll stick a fish and they're back at it.

Could a Captain cheat? Yeah. Could kids lose confidence if not shown the fish are there? Yeah. In the end you need to weed out the "bad" Captains. If you see a Captain cheat then let the Tournament Director know. If you choose not to do so because you don't want to hurt the kids then what are you doing allowing the kids learn that cheating pays?

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447835 09/30/17 05:55 PM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Doing a little research, state by state, on Boat Captain rules; here is the first - Alabama

Alabama B.A.S.S. Nation High School Team Trail
2017 Boat Captain Rules (note changes)

During Official Practice* Boat Captains MAY:

Instruct or coach the anglers
Give advice
Teach by example
Fish
Run the trolling motor**
Land fish with or without a net
During Competition Boat Captains May:

Instruct or coach the anglers
Give advice (send in plays
3. Verbally explain techniques, how to.
Boat Captains MAY NOT:

MAY NOT Fish or Net Fish
MAY NOT Teach by example
MAY NOT Tie knots
MAY NOT Handle fishing tackle during Official Tournament Hours
MAY NOT Handle fishing rods/reels during Official Tournament Hours
MAY NOT Operate the trolling motor

FishAmericaNow (FAN), the TP&WD and HS fishing clubs work together, creating Fishing FANClubs to teach younger kids how to fish.

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447844 09/30/17 06:09 PM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Illinois

26. Coaching: The captain or coach of the boat is
allowed to talk to the participants, but cannot fish in
any respect. Coaches may net fish.

FishAmericaNow (FAN), the TP&WD and HS fishing clubs work together, creating Fishing FANClubs to teach younger kids how to fish.

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447849 09/30/17 06:14 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Dude - really. Go play with them then.

The rules have been set, it has been explained to you and you've been told it's not going to change.
As I told you before, I'm out of this discussion. My grandma told me arguing with fools was a waste of time.

Last edited by Txduckhunter; 09/30/17 06:15 PM.
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447856 09/30/17 06:25 PM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Central PA Bassin

 Adult Boat captains are prohibited from
fishing. Advice, netting fish and fish care is
allowed.

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447866 09/30/17 06:34 PM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
KHSAA - Kentucky High School Athletic Association

b) The captain of the boat is allowed to talk to the participants
and may make suggestions but may not fi sh in any respect,
including tying lures and handling fi sh or gear. Please note
exception in Subsection E for captains ability to help net fi sh
if only one student is in the boat

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447872 09/30/17 06:41 PM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G.H.S.F. - Georgia High School Fishing

- Boat captains cannot fish but can drive the trolling motor, net, cull, weigh fish, etc.

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447874 09/30/17 06:43 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
I don't know why this is so much of a issue with you. You may post all you want to about other states. It seems like something has happened to you or someone you know where having boat captains fish put them at a disadvantage. My one and only comment on this is the following.
The THSBA will always allow boat captains to fish in the open events, if this is a issue(which obviously it is)then its simple don't fish. For someone that does not participate in the HS fishing program you sure do like to gripe a lot about it. Do yourself a favor and go take some kids out instead of sitting behind a computer with a made up screen name and make a difference in their life's. You said something about having all these years experience of fishing, put it to use and step up. If not we will just continue to sit here and read these ridiculous post of yours.

I will not be commenting anymore , so you can just continue to post your stats and research, but you will not change our minds.
Remember we are all just made up of the " good ole boy Bass network" ..... lol.

Have a wonderful day

Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12447883 09/30/17 06:57 PM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
There is much more out there. To be fair, virtually all Texas associations to all boaters to fish. National associations do not allow boaters to fish.

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Txduckhunter] #12447885 09/30/17 07:01 PM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
It will change...it is a matter of time. Simple reason - over time, the integrity of the sport will simply not allow it.

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Ken Starling] #12447896 09/30/17 07:09 PM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Ken,

Careful...you are in a leadership position. Rather than respond in a professional manner, you are stooping to Duck's insulting way of communication.

It is a issue with me because of my love of the sport, my support of youth and my belief of fairness.

"The THSBA will always allow boat captains to fish in the open events" - yes, until the rule is changed.

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: FishFAN] #12448093 09/30/17 11:30 PM
C
Clint W. Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: vtile
Ken,

Careful...you are in a leadership position. Rather than respond in a professional manner, you are stooping to Duck's insulting way of communication.

It is a issue with me because of my love of the sport, my support of youth and my belief of fairness.

"The THSBA will always allow boat captains to fish in the open events" - yes, until the rule is changed.

Wow....I got up at 2:45am to take some HS kids fishing in a tournament, along with hundreds of other captains and tournament officials. I see you got up this morning and did an internet search. Let's take a pole and see who's time was better spent. I know I said that my previous post was my last, but your ignorance beckons one last response.
Those who have but an opinion to offer, really have nothing to offer at all.
Again, I'll wait for your reply as I previously stated, "it makes for good bathroom reading".

[Linked Image]
Re: What a shame!!! [Re: Hoghunter36] #12448239 10/01/17 01:23 AM
FishFAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Many of us do a lot to help the sport of bass fishing and to help kids. We just don't stand on our post-box, pat ourselves on the back, and tell all how much we do.

Kids need to fish.

www.FishAmericaNow.org
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide