Print Thread
Rod Length thoughts #12215986 04/25/17 06:47 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I've commented before, I think here and certainly elsewhere on TFF, about the efficacy of shorter rods . . . especially for kayak anglers where we make less long casts on average and stay more in the finesse realm. When my ultra-light 5 footer showed up, the difference in casting from my kayaks was noticeable, almost pin-point placements, and working lures under docks, casting while under low bridges and under limbs, well, it is just the way to go it seems to me.

So, instead of carrying out my 7 footers, I first ordered a 6' MH with a fast tip for bass fishing. So far, I love it. The butt of the rod is somewhat shorter as expected so it fits better for being seated in a kayak and holding a rod. I should add that I still think 7 footers are fine for anyone who stands often to make long casts, and any power fishing. It just seems to me that we usually do much more finesse related presentations and even when we do make longer casts, we normally are closer to our targets.

Finally, my new rod showed up today: a St. Croix 5'6" Moderate power, fast tip spinning rod. Here's the interesting part. Even though it is 6" shorter in overall length than the MH 6 footer, the distance from my rod holding hand to the rod tip is only about 2" shorter than the 6 footer. The other 4" is a take away from a much smaller butt end.

This should be very interesting as the net effect is the fighting end of the rod will act about the same as the 6 footer with the one difference being it is a step lighter in power, but the hand grip will be almost like a pistol grip since the longer butt end that one normally can wedge under the forearm for leverage, it just isn't long enough for that as best I can tell.

I think it will work really well out of a kayak and I can't wait to lock into something of decent size to see how it performs. Yes, and I am also interested in how it performs if a fish swims across my bow or takes a dip under my kayak. I'll have a shorter lever, so more power over the fish but I won't know these details until I test it on the water.

Anyway, my "short rod experiment" is, what, fully funded now. So, time to find out if this is the way I go in the future.

Brad

Re: Rod Length thoughts [Re: Brad R] #12216082 04/25/17 07:43 PM
B
Bill Gary Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Interesting thoughts. I'm planning on leaving for Port Aransas area next week to do my first inshore fishing. Was planning on using 7' rods. Since the saltwater fish are usually larger than bass - I'm inclined to not use a short rod Maybe I'm mistaken?

Re: Rod Length thoughts [Re: Brad R] #12216316 04/25/17 10:28 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Depending on the length of your kayak and the fish you are catching, you may wish to consider rods long enough to pass over the bow of your boat when those fish make a quick lunge to the other side of the boat on a short line.

Re: Rod Length thoughts [Re: Brad R] #12216390 04/25/17 11:18 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Bill, try both! You'll have more power with a shorter rod with the same power rating.

Jim brings up a good point that I had mentioned, too, that a fish can swim across your bow and scrape your line. But, this 5'6" rod is only 2" shorter than my 6 footer in terms of its reach from where I hold the rod, so I don't lose much. It loses the other 4" back toward the butt end, so those 4" are of no concern for this issue.

In my Propel 10, I doubt it is an issue. From a longer kayak? It might be a different story.

Anyway, I love the 5 footer for ultralight kayak fishing so I had to give this a go, the shorter rods for bass.

More reports to follow.

Brad

Re: Rod Length thoughts [Re: Brad R] #12216637 04/26/17 01:36 AM
W
Warhawk Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I bought a couple of 13 fishing rods last year. One 5' and one 5 1/2'. They are quite a bit stiffer than most ultralites and I really like them for fishing around docks. I haven't used them for a while, but I think it's time to drag them back and spool on some fresh line.

I also have some 30+ year old Fenwick pistol grip rods. Need to try them again too.

Re: Rod Length thoughts [Re: Bill Gary] #12217145 04/26/17 01:48 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I do like a shorter rod (6') for finesse rigs but most my kayaks are 14' and I sit high so I need to be able to clear the bow. When people getting into kayak fishing ask what kind of rods they should use I always say what you already have. When they ask what length I say just be able to clear the bow. You won't have to do that often but when you do it's a good one and you don't want to loose it. Most long rods (longer than 7') have long handles and I don't like that. I would search for shorter handle rods and get those. Now I started building my own rods so I customize to fit me.

Originally Posted By: Bill Gary
Interesting thoughts. I'm planning on leaving for Port Aransas area next week to do my first inshore fishing. Was planning on using 7' rods. Since the saltwater fish are usually larger than bass - I'm inclined to not use a short rod Maybe I'm mistaken?
A decent slot red fish will cross your bow several times. I use 7' and no less in my kayaks for the coast.

Re: Rod Length thoughts [Re: Brad R] #12217146 04/26/17 01:48 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Warhawk,

When you take your Propel 10 out next time, have one of the short rods with you. What I have found is I just glide up to a dock/boathouse, then reel my lure up to only 2" or so from the rod tip. This works well for controlling the direction of slinging really light grubs that don't skip all that well, pretty far back into the shade.

I seem to catch my panfish back in those shady spots, on the drop, at least this time of year.

I went down to the dock last night and caught a bass on my 6 footer using a Zoom Super Fluke. The shorter length did hamper my casting distance, no doubt, but it is so powerful compared to the 7+ footers.

I think what I'll do is carry my 5 foot ultra-light set-up, then the 5'6" rigged up for really short drops, maybe a jig or drop shot, then the 6 footer for swim baits. This will give me something for higher in the water column, something for down at or near the bottom.

3 rods on a Propel 10 is a snap, no issues.

Brad

Re: Rod Length thoughts [Re: Brad R] #12247371 05/16/17 03:27 AM
L
lostinthewoods Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I've pretty much zoned in on 6'6" rods. One medium spinner with a fast tip, another a bit stiffer and a med heavy baitcaster. The med with a fast tip is my favorite. I fish everything with it. The other spinner is for larger swim baits and cranks. The baitcaster is usually rigged with a wacky worm.

Re: Rod Length thoughts [Re: lostinthewoods] #12247770 05/16/17 01:43 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: lostinthewoods
I've pretty much zoned in on 6'6" rods. One medium spinner with a fast tip, another a bit stiffer and a med heavy baitcaster. The med with a fast tip is my favorite. I fish everything with it. The other spinner is for larger swim baits and cranks. The baitcaster is usually rigged with a wacky worm.

I took my kayak out yesterday late afternoon. I am more convinced every time I go out that having at least one short rod is a great advantage.

My 6 footer was rigged with a 5" version of a worm wacky rigged. I was experimenting with it most of the time and it casts well and is very accurate. It is a medium heavy, fast tip.

My 5' 6" rod was set up with a wacky rig on a smaller #1 hook with a 4" version of the same plastic. It is a medium power. It is way more accurate than even the 6 footer.

And, I carried out an ultra-light 5 footer, moderate tip so it flexes well up the blank.

I'll likely use the MH 6 footer for heavier jigs as the 5'6" is fine for wacky rigging.

Brad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide