Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: OzzieFish] #12210367 04/21/17 06:59 PM
Danny L. Weems Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I was fishing the north part of the lake and the accident was near the dam. There was no fog near me or where others that I know were fishing but there was heavy rains at times.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: OzzieFish] #12212034 04/23/17 02:10 AM
Mike Zachary Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The coangler that had the ruptured spleen, broke ribs and punctured lung is my best friend and we traveled together for this event and many, many others throughout the years. I talked (actually went to the hospital) with him the day it happened and the cancelled day. He is still sore and cant take a deep breath (broke ribs) but is otherwise in good shape and should get released Monday. I won't go into details about the wreck but it was a big wakeup call for me to keep your head on swivel even if you're the coangler. It was raining pretty hard and my friend was bundled up with his hood and had his head down, just like any of us that have been the passenger have done. He didn't see it coming and woke up in the water. He had a vest style PFD. I think Im going to get rid of my inflatables and go back to the vest. This could of been WAAAAAAAAY worse and lucky no one was killed or maimed for the rest of their life.

Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: OzzieFish] #12212048 04/23/17 02:22 AM
W
whitecapping Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Prayers for all

<><
Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: OzzieFish] #12212050 04/23/17 02:22 AM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Good to hear he's doing alright Mike. Definitely could have been worse. Hoping for a speedy recovery for him and the others involved.

Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: OzzieFish] #12212326 04/23/17 01:36 PM
D-lee Offline
Angler
Angler
glad hes doing better,anyone here about the other 2 that were transported?

Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: Mike Zachary] #12212329 04/23/17 01:40 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Mike Zachary
The coangler that had the ruptured spleen, broke ribs and punctured lung is my best friend and we traveled together for this event and many, many others throughout the years. I talked (actually went to the hospital) with him the day it happened and the cancelled day. He is still sore and cant take a deep breath (broke ribs) but is otherwise in good shape and should get released Monday. I won't go into details about the wreck but it was a big wakeup call for me to keep your head on swivel even if you're the coangler. It was raining pretty hard and my friend was bundled up with his hood and had his head down, just like any of us that have been the passenger have done. He didn't see it coming and woke up in the water. He had a vest style PFD. I think Im going to get rid of my inflatables and go back to the vest. This could of been WAAAAAAAAY worse and lucky no one was killed or maimed for the rest of their life.

I am glad your buddy will recover and live to fish again another day.

Every time I get ready to run down the lake, I always tap my partner on the shoulder and tell him to keep his eyes open for boats coming at us. I stress to him Not to ASSUME I see everything happening around me. I know it's hard to see when it is raining but both anglers need to be alert at all times when running down the lake.

Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: Ken A.] #12212346 04/23/17 01:54 PM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Every time I get ready to run down the lake, I always tap my partner on the shoulder and tell him to keep his eyes open for boats coming at us. I stress to him Not to ASSUME I see everything happening around me. I know it's hard to see when it is raining but both anglers need to be alert at all times when running down the lake.

I do the same thing.

Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: OzzieFish] #12212396 04/23/17 02:37 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
would bet when all the details are known,the cause was due to the rain reducing visibility plus our tendency to not swivel our heads as much in the rain to keep from water running down our neck....
had a similar situation happen on Seminole several years ago...a boat was passing me in fairly heavy rain...he was probably off to my left about 40 yards and running probably 60mph, too fast ( I thought) for the conditions...all of a sudden I caught something out of left corner of my eye...this boat had taken a hard right and was coming directly across my path...fortunately I was able to jerk the wheel hard right and narrowly missed him...I don't think he ever saw me.......and I bet most of us have had similar experiences over the years especially fishing tournys with a lot of boats on the lake and running in the rain....

Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: Ken A.] #12212614 04/23/17 06:36 PM
Phoenix_Ed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Good call Ken for any of us if we are the boater. I know after fishing the BFL's for a couple of years as a co I always try to be aware just in case my boater does not see another boat. Two sets of eyes are sure better than one.

Praying for all to heal and fish again soon!

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: OzzieFish] #12212663 04/23/17 07:35 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I tell my partner to watch out also. I also always run a dual console boat so my partner can hunker down some and still look around. In a single console the rider is wide open and has to protect his face anyway he can.

Re: Grand Lake Boat Accident [Re: 9094] #12212931 04/24/17 12:12 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
its a bad thing. I was the guy at Fork who saw it all and turned my carpet red. crazy world. still have lawyers contacting me...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide