Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: a noob in need of advice [Re: LSCG] #12198069 04/13/17 08:22 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Punch bait smells just like liver does but you don't have to touch it. Much cleaner and works even better than liver.

Eric

Re: a noob in need of advice [Re: LSCG] #12200259 04/15/17 04:12 AM
M
Misha Fisha Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
A lot of great advices!

Re: a noob in need of advice [Re: LSCG] #12200323 04/15/17 05:57 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I have been fishing the area you are in for many years especially a creek that flows into the Pedernales just a mile or so downstream. Here's my thoughts. You probably won't have much luck catching shad at that area of the river. I could be wrong, but I haven't observed them there. The very best bait for bass there is a live bluegill. The bigger ones catch the bigger bass. I fish them about 3 feet under a bobber with a small pinch on weight to keep them off the top of the water. The best catfish bait I've ever used there is a big old yellow or green grasshopper. They can't resist them. The river and surrounding creeks have many spots where the water has undercut a ledge in the surrounding caliche stone. This is an excellent spot to fish next to especially in the summer when the cool shade attracts the fish. The low water dams are excellent places to catch catfish, especially at night. Go down to one at night with a flashlight and flip it on. You'll see them stacked up below it waiting for a meal to come over it. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: a noob in need of advice [Re: LSCG] #12207995 04/20/17 04:23 AM
L
LSCG Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
thank you all very much!

I've been able to learn a lot here and feel like I have a much better grasp of things than I did before. haven't had a chance to hit the water yet but i'm hoping to next week and will hopefully be able to post up some fish pics! cheers

Re: a noob in need of advice [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #12208002 04/20/17 04:34 AM
L
LSCG Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: Duckcreek Davy
I have been fishing the area you are in for many years especially a creek that flows into the Pedernales just a mile or so downstream. Here's my thoughts. You probably won't have much luck catching shad at that area of the river. I could be wrong, but I haven't observed them there. The very best bait for bass there is a live bluegill. The bigger ones catch the bigger bass. I fish them about 3 feet under a bobber with a small pinch on weight to keep them off the top of the water. The best catfish bait I've ever used there is a big old yellow or green grasshopper. They can't resist them. The river and surrounding creeks have many spots where the water has undercut a ledge in the surrounding caliche stone. This is an excellent spot to fish next to especially in the summer when the cool shade attracts the fish. The low water dams are excellent places to catch catfish, especially at night. Go down to one at night with a flashlight and flip it on. You'll see them stacked up below it waiting for a meal to come over it. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

now I never would have thought to fish the down stream side of a dam. just figured it would be too shallow and too choppy for the fish but now that I think about it, it makes lots of sense why they'd be there.

for catfish would standing on the dam and letting the current take a bobber, swivel and short leader downstream be a good option to try?

Re: a noob in need of advice [Re: LSCG] #12208018 04/20/17 05:36 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Yes. Done it many times. If there are some deeper pools here and there or some structure below it you can catch some nice bass and bluegills there too. Stealth is important during the day. At night be careful of the slick moss or you'll bust your keister. Also water Snakes love to hang out below dams so just be mindful of them. Mostly non-venomous. When fishing the creeks and rivers in that area concentrate on shady overhangs and such. And once again.... Come summer those big grasshoppers are irresistible to the fish.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: a noob in need of advice [Re: LSCG] #12209645 04/21/17 08:05 AM
L
LSCG Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
awesome! thanks. thumb

Re: a noob in need of advice [Re: LSCG] #12209679 04/21/17 10:43 AM
F
Fullofit Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I used to bank fish for years. I used Bill's Bait for catfish and you put it on sponge hooks. It comes in a jar and just use a stick to shove the sponge hook down into it. I never caught anything big on this but I did catch lots of channels in the 1-2 lb range. Put on a slip weight and a bb-shot weight about a foot from the end of your line. I just tie on a swivel at the end of my line. Fish it on the bottom or with a cork.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide