790937 Topics
9998489 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12209041 - 04/20/17 04:25 PM Baits with metal flake vs non metal flake
John Peebles Online   content
Pro Angler

Loc: Seabrook
Have any of you guys noticed any difference between baits with metal flake vs non metal flake? I tend to throw non metal flake when it's cloudy and baits with flake when it's sunny or muddy water, but that's just a personal preference. Has anyone noticed any particular conditions when metal flake vs non flake really made a difference?

#12209059 - 04/20/17 04:41 PM Re: Baits with metal flake vs non metal flake [Re: John Peebles]
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
I haven't really noticed a difference. However, there are times when I think a bait that has some flake in it will work a little better, especially during late Spring when fish are aggressive and active. But that's minor. Furthermore, I refuse to throw a bait that has metal flake in it in cold water. If you notice everything around you when the water is cold and the air temperature is cold, everything is bland/dull; not lively. So during those times I prefer green pumpkin, brown, or even plain black.

#12209065 - 04/20/17 04:44 PM Re: Baits with metal flake vs non metal flake [Re: John Peebles]
Mark Perry Online   content

Loc: Highway 1
I buy or make baits that look as natural as I can get. Shad looks like a shad no matter sunny or not.

#12209373 - 04/20/17 08:46 PM Re: Baits with metal flake vs non metal flake [Re: John Peebles]
the skipper Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: nederland, TX
As far as worms and stuff i think all mine have flake but I just use dark colors on dark days and lighter colors on lighter days. Swimbaits are either shad or bream color

#12209715 - 04/21/17 06:51 AM Re: Baits with metal flake vs non metal flake [Re: John Peebles]
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Mansfield, Tx.
Originally Posted By: John Peebles
Have any of you guys noticed any difference between baits with metal flake vs non metal flake? I tend to throw non metal flake when it's cloudy and baits with flake when it's sunny or muddy water, but that's just a personal preference. Has anyone noticed any particular conditions when metal flake vs non flake really made a difference?

That's what I do also. Not sure if it makes a difference between flake or no flake but your color choice is important. Some days you can catch on a bunch of colors and it really doesn't matter but then there are those days when it matters quite a bit to the fish for some reason. I don't know why but they will bite one color better than others, you just have to experiment and find out what they want. I have a starting point with colors depending on water color, and if it is cloudy or sunny out.

#12209742 - 04/21/17 07:24 AM Re: Baits with metal flake vs non metal flake [Re: Mark Perry]
Ken A. Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Trophy Club, TX
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I buy or make baits that look as natural as I can get. Shad looks like a shad no matter sunny or not.

Now there you go using common sense again... thumb

I try to use baits that are more natural in color. Green pumpkin or watermelon with soft plastics more often than not.

#12209946 - 04/21/17 09:31 AM Re: Baits with metal flake vs non metal flake [Re: John Peebles]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Justin, TX.
I have won so many tournaments on just the plain old 7" Power Worm in Pumpkin Seed. So that tells me something about slow moving baits around heavy cover during all seasons.

You will notice that Bass that you catch change coloration from deep cold water to the warmer shallow water. Bass are pail color during the winner months. They are much so during high heavy stained water. The bait fish follow this same coloration patterns depending on the depth, time of year and water clarity. I try to match these conditions as far as the fast moving baits like spinner baits and cranks are concerned.

Don't try to over think this during clear water trips, cloudy days, sunny days, stained water, winter and summer. I just try to tone down the glitter during the cold months, stained water and bad weather days. Bass like shinny; so I pick it back up when the conditions are good and make it as natural as possible with the scale patterns on the fast moving baits and top water spooks.

www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
Shallow Water Mapping - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide