Print Thread
Carp Flies. #12194884 04/12/17 03:06 AM
D
DancesWithSquirrels Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Found a really nice spot for carp, and since I got a new fly rod that I'm going to rig up for bigger fish hopefully this week, I thought why not try and swing by to catch these fish. Anyone know of good carp flies?

Re: Carp Flies. [Re: DancesWithSquirrels] #12194972 04/12/17 03:48 AM
D
D Miner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Maybe cheat and just stick a few kernels of corn on a circle hook.

Re: Carp Flies. [Re: DancesWithSquirrels] #12195166 04/12/17 11:43 AM
F
Fishwfly Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Search the carp hybrid fly. Seems to be very popular. I have used crayfish imitation flies, San Juan worms, and a mix of the Orvis flies they advertise as carp flies. The Jan's carp tickler on the Orvis site is very productive for me as well. The kicker is making sure it sinks at a rate fast enough to get it on the botttom in front of a feeding fishes face.

Re: Carp Flies. [Re: DancesWithSquirrels] #12195688 04/12/17 04:07 PM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I've caught three carp, one was with a clouser, the second with a wooly bugger, and the third on a dedicated carp fly (Houston Fly Fishing's brass hawk). All three times I carefully casted past a carp feeding on the bottom and dragged it near them, they turned and took it. I don't think the fly you throw matters as much as your presentation and the carp's state of mind. Carp are omnivores, so if they're turned on, feeding, and you don't spook them, they will probably take just about anything. One thing I will say about the brass hawk is that it stands up on the bottom hook up, so it is easy for a rooting carp to inhale without it snagging on a rock.

With that said, my above paragraph didn't mention the 100+ times I spooked carp either with a poor cast, crossing line above them, or they just saw my fly and weren't interested.

Definitely give it a shot, I will say you should spend some time and pay attention to what they're eating. If you can replicate it, you might as well get as close as you can.

Re: Carp Flies. [Re: DancesWithSquirrels] #12195772 04/12/17 04:55 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Carp Flies. [Re: MassAction] #12197204 04/13/17 01:21 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: MassAction
I've caught three carp, one was with a clouser, the second with a wooly bugger, and the third on a dedicated carp fly (Houston Fly Fishing's brass hawk). All three times I carefully casted past a carp feeding on the bottom and dragged it near them, they turned and took it. I don't think the fly you throw matters as much as your presentation and the carp's state of mind. Carp are omnivores, so if they're turned on, feeding, and you don't spook them, they will probably take just about anything. One thing I will say about the brass hawk is that it stands up on the bottom hook up, so it is easy for a rooting carp to inhale without it snagging on a rock.

With that said, my above paragraph didn't mention the 100+ times I spooked carp either with a poor cast, crossing line above them, or they just saw my fly and weren't interested.

Definitely give it a shot, I will say you should spend some time and pay attention to what they're eating. If you can replicate it, you might as well get as close as you can.

Excellent post.

I have only caught a few myself. Crawfish colored woolly bugger, briminator and topwater algae flies have worked for me.

I have found that one of the easiest ways to catch them is not necessarily when they are cruising or bottom feeding, but when they are feeding on topwater duck week or other vegetation. I used an unweighted woolly bugger to catch one. Then tied an imitation algae fly with craft fur and foam and caught a couple more the next day.

Does anyone tie a topwater carp fly?

Also, Hook-Line-Sinker has a video with a carp crack fly that worked very well for both carp and buffalo.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide