Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12193369 04/11/17 02:28 PM
~
~Moose~ Offline
Angler
Angler
~
I do everything I can to minimize my time on the ramp. But I have to say, when I go out alone I hustle my butt off and still occupy the ramp a little longer than average. I am launching a 26ft pontoon by myself. While I have no trouble doing this alone, it does take a little longer. I have to back the boat in, move from truck to boat and find a spot to either beach or tie up (pre-scouted of course), then hurry back over to the truck I left running on the ramp and go park. Of course all of this reversed for loading back up later, and if the wind is blowing like hell....ohh boy there may be a show to watch. I have yet to be offered a hand, but I certainly have had plenty of "spectators" with folded arms and a scowled look on their face. Funny thing is, half the time I still get all of this done and off the ramp quicker than some of the smaller boats with two people.

Open to any suggestions or tips!!!!

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12193463 04/11/17 03:03 PM
M
MilesHunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I'm in the same boat (haha) toonslabz. I fish from a 22' pontoon and fish alone a lot. As long as you are getting everything done that you can before you back up to the ramp and you are not wasting time then you are doing just fine. If people want to glare at you like you are a nuisance then let them. That reflects on their character, not on you. As far as the wind goes, we all battle that in a pontoon. The more wind there is, the slower I go driving onto the trailer. If I try to go faster to fight the wind I end up taking several shots at the trailer. Even in the nastiest wind I've been out in I can load in the first shot if a take it nice and slow. Once the toons hit the trailer bunks I can turn the motor and line it right up if I come in a little crooked. If I come in too fast and not straight enough, I'm going to have to back all the way off and give it another run. It's just part of boating and fishing from a floating living room.

Miles
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)] #12193852 04/11/17 05:36 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)
Originally Posted By: KBW
Saw a mad wife or girlfriend backing. The whole time her man was yelling this and that left right, come on stop etc.
She put the truck in park, got out and started walking up the ramp with him in the boat about 3/4 way in the water. She had had enough. Dude was embarrassed.
He finally got out of the boat and pulled the truck up and started looking for her I guess.

Saw almost the same thing on Lake Arlington....wife having trouble backing ,husband went on a cussing spree . Pulled the boat up to ramp, jumped out grabbed the door told his wife to get the F#$% out he gunned the engine forward backed into the water jumped out and cussed her some more. The wife started laughing making him even madder. All she could do was point at the boat. Husband turned around just in time to see the water going into the cab, with about ten people laughing so hard we couldn't stop. Wrecker time!!!! frkazoid
I taught my ex to boat the boat on the trailer. Much easier than backing the truck. Only problem she every had was figuring out how to start the motor. Carbed Merc V6s can be finicky if you do not go through the right sequence to start.

I blocked the ramp for a little too long 2 weeks ago. Never thought about a Ford owner struggling to figure out how to disengage the e brake on a Toyota. I was yelling at him to just press the pedal but the problem was her could not find the pedal. I thought the whole time he was looking for the release handle.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12194830 04/12/17 02:42 AM
lmbr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I fish by myself also. I have learned how to launch and load fairly quickly but sometimes unforeseen things happen and it causes delays. I have only once had someone offer to help. Maybe we could learn to offer to help someone who is by themselves help early in the process before there is a chance for a glitch to happen.Just saying. smile

hooked

Love the thump.
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12195011 04/12/17 04:07 AM
L
Lollygagger Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I've gotten my routine down pretty well as far as backing down the ramp and unloading as well as loading my boat by myself. However, even as quick as I can be by myself, if I have my boat prepped and ready to pull up to the ramp to launch but I see someone else behind me who is in line to launch after me but they're launching with two people, then I wave them ahead of me. With two people (one driving the vehicle and the other in the boat, it's just so much faster than someone by themselves.

"But God demonstrates His own for love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12195116 04/12/17 10:49 AM
H
hamlet5 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
It has become more and more common, happens everywhere. Unfortunately the world is full of people that have no home training. A lot of folks do not talk or act right and I just don't care for it. I just continue my routine and work on my patience. Sometimes I count to 1,000.

Wherever you go, there you are

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide