texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,890
Posts13,954,913
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What would you do? #12192969 04/11/17 04:09 AM
F
Farrside Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
I was fishing a club tournament this past weekend on Sam Rayburn. Got to my spot right after sunrise, a cove about 120 yards across at the mouth and narrowed as you got deep into it ( i guess about 500 yards deep). I started at the point and had been there about 45 minutes before any other boats appeared. By this time I'm half way down the cove when another boat showed up. He stopped at the point and worked his way down the same way I was headed. The cove has now narrowed down to about 80 yards across where I was sitting fishing the hay grass. I was within casting distance to the back side of the grass. The other boat just kept coming down right where I was fishing so close I could cast to his boat. My back seater told him are you close enough, were fishing right here. The boaters reply was " your blocking the creek" and proceeded to go between us and the hay grass fishing all along? There was 50-60 yards to the grass on the other side. It was at that point I told my partner let's just go. I know what I did but would like to know how you would have handled this.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12192984 04/11/17 04:42 AM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
It's Rayburn. Just be glad you didn't get a cussing or he wasn't on his big motor.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193077 04/11/17 11:24 AM
F
Fisherdad58 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Its usually pretty obvious that I'm using up the area that I'm fishing with boat movement, cast directions and so on. If someone still has to get into your cast zone then I would just try to strike up conversation. You can usually tell right off if someone is friendly or not. You never know, you may meet a new friend.
Don't be the one to be an azz, but if they insist on being rude I would probably just crank her up(with a good amount of time to warm motor up) and move on unless it was just such a great spot that you cant keep the fish off your line. Not many people want to stay right by you when your moving back and forth and slinging baits everywhere.
Getting too close to people seems unavoidable sometimes on busy lakes. Only other thing to do is stay off the water on the weekends. That's mostly what I do.

"Be as straight as you can be and as crooked as you have to be, for what's right"

Psalm 8
Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193082 04/11/17 11:30 AM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You didn't mention if you caught any fish during the 45 minutes you were there. Sounds like it was time to move anyways.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Fisherdad58] #12193117 04/11/17 12:08 PM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Fisherdad58
Its usually pretty obvious that I'm using up the area that I'm fishing with boat movement, cast directions and so on. If someone still has to get into your cast zone then I would just try to strike up conversation. You can usually tell right off if someone is friendly or not. You never know, you may meet a new friend.
Don't be the one to be an azz, but if they insist on being rude I would probably just crank her up(with a good amount of time to warm motor up) and move on unless it was just such a great spot that you cant keep the fish off your line. Not many people want to stay right by you when your moving back and forth and slinging baits everywhere.
Getting too close to people seems unavoidable sometimes on busy lakes. Only other thing to do is stay off the water on the weekends. That's mostly what I do.

^^^this sounds reasonable and more mature than I have been in years past. I admit I get pizzed when others come too close and try to squeeze me off a spot, come to close on plane, or intrude in some way. I always take for granted they should know etiquette on the water. I admit to lowering myself in years past, to others level of maturity when I responded to their selfish immaturity. I don't like to be treated with disrespect just because someone thinks they have "rights". I am trying to be more mature and understanding that they haven't been taught respect and common courtesy for others. I have come to realize it isn't my place to teach them. If their behavior is dangerous or breaking the laws I will call a game warden and let them do the instruction of proper boating etiquette. Folks are folks and we are all different and have different ideas of life. Life is too short and I want to enjoy what is left of mine.

Last edited by jbobo; 04/11/17 12:11 PM.

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193120 04/11/17 12:14 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Fishing past someone to get to a creek is fine to me. 50 yards is half a spool of line. I couldn't cast that far, nor want to, when fishing a small cove.

The only thing that kinda rubs me is when I am fishing in one direction down a stretch of bank and another boat pulls in and fishes towards me...on the same stretch.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193138 04/11/17 12:28 PM
P
PaPa@fork Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Farrside
I was fishing a club tournament this past weekend on Sam Rayburn. Got to my spot right after sunrise, a cove about 120 yards across at the mouth and narrowed as you got deep into it ( i guess about 500 yards deep). I started at the point and had been there about 45 minutes before any other boats appeared. By this time I'm half way down the cove when another boat showed up. He stopped at the point and worked his way down the same way I was headed. The cove has now narrowed down to about 80 yards across where I was sitting fishing the hay grass. I was within casting distance to the back side of the grass. The other boat just kept coming down right where I was fishing so close I could cast to his boat. My back seater told him are you close enough, were fishing right here. The boaters reply was " your blocking the creek" and proceeded to go between us and the hay grass fishing all along? There was 50-60 yards to the grass on the other side. It was at that point I told my partner let's just go. I know what I did but would like to know how you would have handled this.

You handled it well, It's hard to do sometimes but you did the right thing 2cents
You know the old saying "there's one in every crowd " and some how they find their way to lake.

If it was easy, everyone would do it
Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193207 04/11/17 01:11 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I'm going by, if I am in a good mood I will ask you it you want me to troll by or go by on pad but that's it. That's what you get.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193269 04/11/17 01:36 PM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
from what I understand they 1) went between you and the bank and 2) fished while doing it. when you say 50-50 yards to grass on other side, I assume you meant behind you

Both are d-head moves, but you already knew that

Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193329 04/11/17 02:07 PM
F
Farrside Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Huckleberry yes we were catching fish.
Fisherdad I'm with you on the weekdays, other than the club tournament you won't find me on the water.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193362 04/11/17 02:25 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
It's just going to happen out there. I normally just make a gesture signifying that they are a dumb @$$ and go about my business. The way I figure is if they can't find their own fish then they aren't good enough to worry about anyway. I've also learned on tournament day you get right to the sweet stuff because if you don't someone else will, whether that be a d.head move or just part of the game. You can usually tell the ones that know they are doing something they probably shouldn't vs the ones that don't. No point in making a big deal though, although I've felt like it a time or two, plenty of other fish to go catcg

Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193366 04/11/17 02:27 PM
F
Farrside Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
K. D. Yes there was plenty of room to go around me (60 yards) but he decided to go between the bank (20 yards or less) and me.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Fisherdad58] #12193370 04/11/17 02:28 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Fisherdad58

I like this answer.

“The more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.” - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193437 04/11/17 02:55 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Try to keep fishing and lot let someone ruin my day on the water. I am sure I would have had a comment or two but I would not let any of it spin me out or mess up my day.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Farrside] #12193456 04/11/17 03:01 PM
M. Alexander Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You can only control you out there. Better to take the high road even though it can be hard sometimes. There's no sense in escalating the situation. A similar situation happened to me on Monti a couple months ago. I was the first one on the lake that morning. I went up to Smith and started fishing the northern bank. I'm about a moderate roll cast away from the shore. Another boat pulls in under the tracks and starts to idle my way. I wave, he waves, and asks how my morning is going. I reply cordially as he draws nearer. I'm thinking he's either going to shut it down and fish behind me, or go around and cut me off...neither. Dude goes between me and the bank and drops trolling motor about 15 yds ahead of me. I shake my head, throw my hands up, and give him a "Really, man??". He starts to apologize, insisting he didn't realize what he did. I found that hard to believe, but decided to just bug out. I was pissed for a bit, but didn't want to let it ruin my day so I found fish elsewhere. Some people are just knuckleheads. hammer

Mark
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide