Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boat Ramp Etiquette #12189833 04/09/17 03:30 AM
L
Lollygagger Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Maybe I'm doing it wrong. My process of preparing to launch my boat is this: When I pull into the parking lot of the boat ramp that I plan on using, I park away from the ramp and to an area out of the way of the flow of traffic, in order to "prep" my boat for launching. The prep as you can understand is loading any equipment and supplies already not in the boat as well as undoing any tie downs, winch hooks, transom savers, and etc. I stop away from the boat ramp to prep my boat for launch whether the parking lot is crowded or if I'm the only one there. I do that so that when I pull up to the ramp to launch my boat, I'm ready to back straight into the water so that my time tying up a ramp is kept to a very minimum so that I don't delay anyone else in either launching or loading their boat.

I show up early to the boat ramp yesterday ready to go on the search for some crappie. Well, when I pull up in the parking lot and away from the ramp and begin my launch "prep", a large pontoon boat pulls up and begin to back towards the water and then stop on the upper part of the boat ramp. Four or more men get out of the truck as another couple of people (apparently that is part of the group - this was not a guide) walk up to join. They do their boat "prep" right there tying up the boat ramp. Not only were they untying everything but they also were loading ice chests, fishing poles and gear, nets, bait buckets, as well as other things. It was not a quick prep. I'm watching in disbelief because this is such a busy time of the year at the boat ramps. I look around and there are three other boats, besides mine, all prepped and waiting to launch their boat.

Is it too much to ask people to prep their boat away from the ramp so that when people are ready to launch, they're not delayed while people mosey around prepping theirs? Is it just me that is erring by thinking that this type of behavior is wrong or is my thinking in line with the common sense boat ramp etiquette? I'm very patient (at least I believe that I am) and don't get mad or annoyed much but this just seemed uncalled for. I didn't say anything but I just found it rude. Many times I will wave others around me to launch even if I'm ready just so I don't hold anyone up. And I've got my launching down to only a couple of minutes so it's not like I take up a lot of time on the ramp. I've fished at several different lakes and multiple different boat ramps at each lake and I don't think I've seen this type of tying up a ramp more than a couple of times.

"But God demonstrates His own for love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12189854 04/09/17 03:51 AM
O
old76angler Offline
Angler
Angler
O
They are just dumb people. you can't fix stupid realmad

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12189873 04/09/17 04:05 AM
chickenman Offline
1:28
1:28
Best one I've seen was at the Buck Creek ramp on Roberts. I did as you do, I parked far enough away to prep the boat. A guy driving a full size RV bus pulling a smart car heads down to the ramp. It was obvious that he was lost. He couldn't turn around so he had to get the car off the trailer, get the trailer off the RV, make the u-turn, then get the trailer back on the RV, then the car on the trailer. It took 30 minutes.

hammer

[Linked Image]
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12189920 04/09/17 05:01 AM
I
I love fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
I'm with you but for some reasons people just don't have the common courtesy. I don't understand it either.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12189945 04/09/17 07:32 AM
S
stratos caster Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I saw the mother of all boat launch no no's a month ago. Two boats launching four boats staged and these guys pull past the staged boats and back up right in the middle of the ramp get out and start prepping their boat. The boats launching have to go around them to park. Once launched the boat operator turns the boat sideways in front of the ramp blocking anyone from launching. While waiting on his buddy he has the motor in neutral and running at what sounds like 4,000 rpms. I guess they thought it was a good day to go to the lake and get a butt woopin and blow a motor.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12189971 04/09/17 11:03 AM
M
Mikeyb_23 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I would and have just launched right around him. If there is room of course. I hate going to a busy boat ramps, too many idiots. No common sense.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12190018 04/09/17 12:40 PM
B
Big_CatEM Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Lollygagger
Maybe I'm doing it wrong. My process of preparing to launch my boat is this: When I pull into the parking lot of the boat ramp that I plan on using, I park away from the ramp and to an area out of the way of the flow of traffic, in order to "prep" my boat for launching. The prep as you can understand is loading any equipment and supplies already not in the boat as well as undoing any tie downs, winch hooks, transom savers, and etc. I stop away from the boat ramp to prep my boat for launch whether the parking lot is crowded or if I'm the only one there. I do that so that when I pull up to the ramp to launch my boat, I'm ready to back straight into the water so that my time tying up a ramp is kept to a very minimum so that I don't delay anyone else in either launching or loading their boat.

I show up early to the boat ramp yesterday ready to go on the search for some crappie. Well, when I pull up in the parking lot and away from the ramp and begin my launch "prep", a large pontoon boat pulls up and begin to back towards the water and then stop on the upper part of the boat ramp. Four or more men get out of the truck as another couple of people (apparently that is part of the group - this was not a guide) walk up to join. They do their boat "prep" right there tying up the boat ramp. Not only were they untying everything but they also were loading ice chests, fishing poles and gear, nets, bait buckets, as well as other things. It was not a quick prep. I'm watching in disbelief because this is such a busy time of the year at the boat ramps. I look around and there are three other boats, besides mine, all prepped and waiting to launch their boat.

Is it too much to ask people to prep their boat away from the ramp so that when people are ready to launch, they're not delayed while people mosey around prepping theirs? Is it just me that is erring by thinking that this type of behavior is wrong or is my thinking in line with the common sense boat ramp etiquette? I'm very patient (at least I believe that I am) and don't get mad or annoyed much but this just seemed uncalled for. I didn't say anything but I just found it rude. Many times I will wave others around me to launch even if I'm ready just so I don't hold anyone up. And I've got my launching down to only a couple of minutes so it's not like I take up a lot of time on the ramp. I've fished at several different lakes and multiple different boat ramps at each lake and I don't think I've seen this type of tying up a ramp more than a couple of times.

You are dead on. I've seen this too when going out on my buddy's center console on Ray Bob and it's irritating. soap slinger

Eric
--------------------------------------------------
"Fishing is to work, what aspirin is to headaches"
'Fighting Texas Aggies Class of 93'
Wanna-be senior meteorologist for the NWS in Fort Worth
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: stratos caster] #12190019 04/09/17 12:43 PM
B
Big_CatEM Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: stratos caster
I saw the mother of all boat launch no no's a month ago. Two boats launching four boats staged and these guys pull past the staged boats and back up right in the middle of the ramp get out and start prepping their boat. The boats launching have to go around them to park. Once launched the boat operator turns the boat sideways in front of the ramp blocking anyone from launching. While waiting on his buddy he has the motor in neutral and running at what sounds like 4,000 rpms. I guess they thought it was a good day to go to the lake and get a butt woopin and blow a motor.

Classic. I love the last statement. So true. bang splat

Eric
--------------------------------------------------
"Fishing is to work, what aspirin is to headaches"
'Fighting Texas Aggies Class of 93'
Wanna-be senior meteorologist for the NWS in Fort Worth
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12190035 04/09/17 01:09 PM
Mr. Greensides Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I bet you guy are the type that turn headlights off on ramp and pick up your mess behind you as well. Ugh, You people!

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: old76angler] #12190039 04/09/17 01:10 PM
F
fishinman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: old76angler
They are just dumb people. you can't fix stupid realmad

Sure nuff!!8

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Big_CatEM] #12190059 04/09/17 01:35 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Big_CatEM
Originally Posted By: stratos caster

Classic. I love the last statement. So true. bang splat

Isaw this same thing happen, and then the guy got in the boat and it slid off the trailer and onto the concrete. I couldnt watch anymore....

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12190061 04/09/17 01:36 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Yes sir, I do turn off the headlights and pick up my trash.
It's called respect for other people. thumb One of the early lessons I learned from Dad.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12190234 04/09/17 04:11 PM
C
Crappie Ford Man Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
C
This drives me crazy as well. It's hard to believe people can be so rude.

One thing we can all do is to offer assistance to the single passenger boater who is launching. Just offer to hold the rope while they launch and move the boat aside for them. This would speed things up so they can just bump it off and drive up and park instead of have to get out, get back in, get out again, etc.

Another courtesy is to get everything ready for loading while out on the lake. Put the rods up, organize things, put minnow buckets up, etc. It's just silly to spend 20 minutes doing all that (and in everyones way) after loading.

Last edited by Crappie Ford Man; 04/09/17 05:00 PM.
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12190329 04/09/17 05:42 PM
Gangster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Anybody else offer to help people who are struggling? I know some people like to go but get flustered if the ramp is busy and they aren't pros at launching.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Lollygagger] #12190367 04/09/17 06:21 PM
T
TR176 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
On a positive note I saw a guy in a wheelchair launch a boat at LE.
1.) back boat in,
2.) get out of truck, get out the wheelchair,
3.) go down to boat and do final get ready,
4.) put wheelchair back in truck, get in truck,
5.) launch boat,
6.) drive to parking,
7.) same as two
8.) ride wheelchair down to dock,
9.) get on the boat, get wheelchair on boat, he had an adaptor on the front pedestal,
10.) go fishing

The only glitch was that the auto deploy TM got out of range, but the boat gently drifted over to the dock.

It was inspirational.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide