Print Thread
Stocking Shad #12167264 03/31/17 03:54 PM
F
FishWrangler2 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Howdy folks...I need some expertise and guidance on how to convince the hunting and fishing club I am member of to stock shad in our 15 acre lake near Meridian, TX.

Here are some of the facts:
- 2 weeks ago, largest fish, to date, was caught at 7.11 lbs
- Lake is about 10 years old
- Max depth is 20-25 ft deep when full
- Healthy bluegill population
- 3 feeders
- Avg fish size is 1.5 lbs
- Serious water clarity/grass issues
- Lowest water temperature at Lake Whitney was around 50 degrees (only public data)
- There are plans to add 10-15 artificial structures to the lake over the next year

Given these criteria, would stocking threadfin shad be a viable option? Would we have to regularly restock them or would they probably survive through the winter? Because of the lack of nutrients (water clarity) of the lake, would this be a problem? Does anyone have any experiential advice? Finally, how would you go about advocating to the board of this club that this is something that would significantly enhance our fishing?

Re: Stocking Shad [Re: FishWrangler2] #12167545 03/31/17 06:47 PM
H
Hawkpuppy 1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Stocking baitfish is a good thing, but can be a temporary fix depending on a lot of factors. Best thing I would suggest is to have a survey done on the lake with an electro-shock boat to see what is already there as far as size class structure as well as current baitfish populations. MOST lakes the main problem is not keeping/removing enough fish. Wish I still lived in Meridian as I would be glad to come out and help with it....

Strip, strip....set
Re: Stocking Shad [Re: FishWrangler2] #12167612 03/31/17 07:29 PM
F
FishWrangler2 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
For the record, we do harvest bass regularly under 15 in. Probably not as many as we could, but enough to make a difference. Ever since we started doing so about 3 years ago, our size fish has improved. I just think that shad will take us to the next level if they can survive year around.

Re: Stocking Shad [Re: FishWrangler2] #12167805 03/31/17 09:49 PM
F
FishmanDan Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
I last stocked shad in my 12 acre lake in NE TX 3 years ago and they have 'overwintered' since -- including this year. Once I've determined they have made it through a winter, I order tilapia (10-15 pounds per acre) to help take pressure off the bluegill. If I notice no shad in the spring again, I'll order more. In other words, stock shad and wait and see. If they make it, use the annual budget on tilapia. This, along with culling every bass under 14 inches, has really gotten great results!
Good luck!

Re: Stocking Shad [Re: FishWrangler2] #12168742 04/01/17 06:27 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: FishWrangler2
Howdy folks...I need some expertise and guidance on how to convince the hunting and fishing club I am member of to stock shad in our 15 acre lake near Meridian, TX.

Here are some of the facts:
- 2 weeks ago, largest fish, to date, was caught at 7.11 lbs
- Lake is about 10 years old
- Max depth is 20-25 ft deep when full
- Healthy bluegill population
- 3 feeders
- Avg fish size is 1.5 lbs
- Serious water clarity/grass issues
- Lowest water temperature at Lake Whitney was around 50 degrees (only public data)
- There are plans to add 10-15 artificial structures to the lake over the next year

Given these criteria, would stocking threadfin shad be a viable option? Would we have to regularly restock them or would they probably survive through the winter? Because of the lack of nutrients (water clarity) of the lake, would this be a problem? Does anyone have any experiential advice? Finally, how would you go about advocating to the board of this club that this is something that would significantly enhance our fishing?

Well....don't get me wrong as I am a very strong believer in, producer, salesman and distributor of threadfins....but,

Just my two cents, but this does not sound like a good candidate for threadfin shad at this moment, especially if funds are limited, as lack of a good bloom (crystal clear water and lotsa weeds are anathema to blooms) will not allow the shad to do well with respect to survival and growth of the young. Better work on weed control and water fertility, then think about buying shad.

Just from whatcha got wrote here, feeders is a very good thing, strong bluegill is good, but you gotta be sure that you are getting good production of them and may need to harvest the huge ones now and again.

Depth is good, but you cannot equate the water temps is a reservoir like Whitney with those in a small water body, but winter kill may always be a problem, but not one that necessarily makes shad a poor choice.

Now, there is little point in placing much in the way of artificial structures in a weedy lake. Maybe in deep water, but the fish will almost always prefer natural vegetation over artificial alternatives. Save that money for later.

Sounds like to me the best way to go with limited funds is to invest in a little professional help from a fisheries biologist and let him/her help with priorities as well as short and long term planning.

I am fairly certain any threadfins stocked will be the only ones eaten and a self sustaining population is highly unlikely under current conditions.

Then again, I'm not there and got no idea what other conditions or factors are involved.

Fishbreeder

Re: Stocking Shad [Re: FishWrangler2] #12184423 04/05/17 04:06 PM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I think fish breeder is correct, if you stock threadfin they will most likely get eaten pretty quick.

Your best bets are.....

1. Have a biologist come out and do an electro shock to see where the fish populations are at.

2. Make sure you are harvesting bass - per biologist recommendations

3. Try to improve your bait fish population by either feeding or do samples of the pond bottom mud, send them off and for $10 per sample they will tell you exactly where your nutrients are and where they should be..... Followed by adding AG lime(if needed) to balance the PH and then fertilizing(if needed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9w0SomdBcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3xPD1y6Hg

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide